No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to mount the diff, found the stock ear was very much in the way, so chopped it off.

Diff now mounted (by 3 bolts, couldn't find the 4th, going to use studs in final assembly anyways):

That's it for today though. I may start cutting tomorrow. Plan is to drill 2 holes through the trunk that mark the center of the front most faces of the two diff bushings, that way I can start laying out from inside the trunk.

Comment

Cleared the trunk out of the E30 tonight...

Also dropped a Getrag 260/6 transmission on my right foot, somehow didn't break my foot.

I didn't realize the trunk would be so full of that nasty rubbery insulation, it's gonna be a bear to get out of there. That stuff is attached to the trunk really well, gonna start looking at the best ways to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

Also dropped a Getrag 260/6 transmission on my right foot, somehow didn't break my foot.

I didn't realize the trunk would be so full of that nasty rubbery insulation, it's gonna be a bear to get out of there. That stuff is attached to the trunk really well, gonna start looking at the best ways to remove it.
        Damn, man. You're lucky with that foot.
        Not so lucky with that junk in the trunk. Thankfully mine doesn't have it.
        91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

Use a torch to heat it up, then scrap it off.
          sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Supadave View Post

Use a torch to heat it up, then scrap it off.
            What about using dry ice to freeze it and break it off with a hammer?

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

What about using dry ice to freeze it and break it off with a hammer?
              That would probably get you a lot less high and save some brain cells. It depends on if you're looking to party or not.
              91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

The Garagistic treehouse mounts finally arrived:

The Ground Control Camber/Caster plates I ordered hopefully will be here next week too. Excited to put this stuff in.

Comment

These arrived yesterday:

Comment

Nice!
                    sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Insulation is out:

Spare wheel well is out:

And when I removed the trunk liner panels, I found this ancient 1.3gb Toshiba HDD and USB adapter No luck yet with seeing what's on there, the USB adapter seems to be broken, but the drive itself spins up fine.

Comment

Got everything cut out where I needed to cut it. Decided in the middle of it since I'm coming the wheel well I'd just cut out the metal in between as well.

Comment

I think I found a dual sump oil pan that may work with the E30 without much modification, giving me much more oil capacity and nice baffling.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...pro-power-pan/

I reached out and got the missing dimensions, and it's very possible this works in the car with sway bar relocation. I was already thinking about relocating the sway bar mounting point anyways. Going to take some measurements on my car to verify if this will work or what it might take to be workable. It's much cheaper from Summit Racing, $499.

edit: I quickly worked it up in CAD, the cyan line is the modified pan I built per E30V8's guide, and the red line is the Canton pan. The most likely place for interference I see is the front edge of the back of the pan, but I think it would be easier to notch the subframe than modify the pan.

Last edited by Elysian; 01-04-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Quick update on the hard drive I found, I got it working today, and found this picture of my E30 from a snow day in 2004:

The drive also led me to the guy who owned it, I sent him a message about the drive to see if he wanted the contents of it. There's a bunch of pics of him traveling to China, Hong Kong, and other memories I feel like I'd want if it were my drive. I even found the address this picture was taken at.

edit: Oh and I picked up a welding gas tank at lunch today, going to pick up the sheet metal for the trunk on the way home today.
                            Last edited by Elysian; 01-04-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

And the guy I contacted was indeed the previous owner, so I was able to give him his files/pictures back

Comment

Today, I got to welding. Very poorly mind you, but I got a lot done.

The rear diff is mounted now. I still need to make sway bar mounts, and I still need to finish the sheet metal trunk floor. Next time I'm under there I'll be grinding back some of the welds and rework them with more heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X