No announcement yet.

The can of worms 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The parts collecting continued, I got a k20-BMW ZF adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch kit from KMiata, and a ZF 6 speed transmission from an e90 330i to fit to it. I also picked up a Link Fury standalone ECU.

Then I started saving money for a trip to Europe I had been wanting to take with my girlfriend for our anniversary/my birthday. I had to finish up a project I had been doing at work before I left, 1995 Dinan e34 540i that I was swapping an s62 into.

The car had the Dinan Fikse's on it already, but they were weaksauce 17x8.5 all around. I rebuilt them to 18x9.5 and 18.10.5 to be able to handle the extra power. The rest of the visuals the car already had.

We made longtube equal-length headers for it and had a custom tune, it ended up putting out 381whp on the dyno. Super fun car. I got it finished up just in time for the trip.

We based the trip around the Belgian and Italian F1 races, with time exploring in between and a week in Paris at the end since my girlfriend used to live there. Took a bit over 3 weeks off from work, did it all as a road trip starting and ending in Paris, with stops in Brussels, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich, Stelvio national park, Parma, Genoa, Monaco, Villefranche, and Nice. I think we did about 4k km total and hit 7 countries. I took so many photos, these are just some highlights

Brussels

Spa

Cologne

Nurburgring. They were having a race the day I was there, so no driving. I told my girlfriend this means I have an excuse to go back

Stuttgart. Went to the Mercedes and Porsche museums, both are awesome.

Neuschwanstein Castle

First e30 spotting of the trip!

Hahntennjoch Pass going into Austria and our Giulia rental

Northern Italy. Such a beautiful area

Awesome Alpine just sitting outside a gas station in the middle of nowhere

Pagani Museum. Pretty good for how small and new a company they are, although very self-centered around Horacio

His personal car that he drives to work

Ferrari museum. Kind of lame TBH, a couple of old cars then just a bunch of new ones. Set up poorly too

Ferrari did e28 bottlecaps first!

Milan looked like a painting

Bellagio, Lake Como

Monza, I sprinted up the main straight for the ceremony, the atmosphere was crazy

Unfortunately our car got burgled while we were at the race, all our luggage gone. Luckily we had our passports and electronics on us. Still felt pretty shitty though.

Villefranche Sur Mer

Back to Paris

Second of 2 e30's on the whole trip

Now back to reality.

I had been researching upgrades to the k24 and found 4Piston racing. They make CNC heads and other parts for k series, and they are the current world record holders in a couple of drag racing classes (9.1 @ 152mph NA Civic!) I was saving up for a bunch of parts from them when they announced a Black Friday sale. I took advantage and bought their k340 package, but upgraded it with a pro163 head that should be roughly the same down low but make more power over 8500rpm. It has Weisco 12.5:1 pistons, Saenz rods, their RR4 road race Vtec cams and valves, and Ferrea springs. They say it should be about 360hp with a good intake.

So I packaged up my engine and head and shipped it to them in Indiana

But this meant I wasn't going to have an engine for a few months, so I went on the hunt for a second k24 to use as a mock-up engine for the swap. This actually took a while, because I didn't want to spend another grand on something I didn't have a use for once my engine got back. I ended up finding one at a junkyard for $200 that had been sitting open in the rain for a few months. Oh well.

I want to be able to use e85 with the engine since California only gets 91 octane and it would be a shame to lose out on some power from such a nice engine, so I got some Injector Dynamics ID1050x injectors, a flex fuel sensor, and some new fuel pumps.

I made a fuel surge tank from an old fire suppression tank a while ago, don't remember if I shared this yet

Strapped the car to the dyno to get a baseline before the engine comes out. 96hp! Factory Freak! The only things I can think of that would improve power is the exhaust and no PS/AC. Explains why my car is quicker than my roommates 325e.

and a final hurrah for the m10/NT01's

Engine out time!

Weighed my engine/trans combo to compare with Jean's weights. I assume he had PS or AC still to make up for the extra weight. There was 13lbs of chain/load leveler at this weight

Filthy engine bay and tunnel

Racecor suspension barely moves without an engine

Powerwashed the bay

More surface rust under the battery :facepalm

ZF 6 speed next to the m10 trans. It's a bit bigger that's what she said

Mated the k24 and ZF using the KMata adapter plate

Transmission needed some modifications to clear the starter

Engine in

I knew the oil pump was going to be an issue since it picks up from roughly the center of the engine. I'm going to be running a ported pump from a k20a2 since they flow a lot better than the k24 pump, they don't have balance shafts, and they can handle the high RPM. So I bought a new pump and proceed to cut it apart to try to make it fit.

Even with this done, the engine still sat pretty far forwards, and it just didn't look right in the engine bay. The mounts on the transmission were already past the slots in the floor, so I said fuck it and pushed the engine back to where it looked right.

The tube sitting on the frame rails is where it was before. It ended up about 1.5" back.

This meant I needed to do something creative with the oil pickup. I debated making a box-style pickup like old V8's had, but I was worried about oil flow since I don't understand it completely and didn't want to do something that wouldn't be ideal.

I talked it over with an engineer friend, and he suggested using the factory pickup, just relocated. I liked that idea since the factory one obviously works, so we went about making it happen.

The depth and angle match factory, in case you were wondering.

I needed to make some mounts, so I made a temporary brace to hold the engine in place while I mocked them up

Used OEM 325i engine mounts instead of the softer 318i mounts.

It's tough designing mounts in the car, so when the engine comes out for the new one, I'm going to use them as templates to design stronger and better looking mounts.

Transmission needed mounting next. The mounting points on the ZF are unboltable, since they used this transmission in so many different models. I tried a ZHP mount, but it was way too wide for the tunnel.

It looks like e90 330i mounting points would fit according to pictures online, but they cost $150 and I needed to make a custom trans brace anyways, so I just went about making my own. I used e21 320i automatic transmission mounts because they are also a stiffer design than the 318i ones.

Not completely finished in this pic

I put the mounts in front of the plate to be able to still use the mounting slots in the floor so I wouldn't need a cantilever trans brace.

Stages of the trans brace.

Bought a ZHP shift carrier to modify, it somehow ended up fitting perfect right out of the box.

Driveshaft from a e36 M3 auto. Needed to be extended 70mm to fit the flex disk. The manual driveshaft was like 100mm too long.

ECU mounted in the factory location

And we're caught back up to speed. I'm getting a flange cut out of aluminum so I can start on the oil pan, and I'm waiting on a flange from Vibrant so I can start making the exhaust. Hopefully my engine will show up soon from 4Piston so I can mock up the coolant pipes (k20 head coolant flow is different from my mock-up k24), and I still need to order the Kinsler ITB so I can make the intake.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

I am really excited to watch this project unfold. Loved seeing your car while it was parked next to Camilo's, hope to see it again once it reemerges!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

holy smokes this things gonna absolutely rip. So so juiced to see so much progress
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

yeeeeeessssssssssss
          Originally posted by Good & Tight
          It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Wow that shifter console fits perfectly!

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

cool update. sorry about getting your shit stolen. that's nothing you want to happen on vacation.

Comment

Any reason for going with the Link ECU over a kpro'd ecu? Do you have a timeframe that you are looking to have it completed in? Also that oil pickup looks awesome. That was one of the things that has always concerned me with this swap to see how it was done. Run a nice huge extension on the front of the pan like the BMW S14 racing oil pans.
                Originally posted by Good & Tight
                It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Also, I'm curious about NA power with this setup on CA 91 pump gas. Is the projected 360hp with race gas/ethanol? Also is this still your only car or did you pick up a daily while the e30 is down?
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by agile30 View Post
                    Any reason for going with the Link ECU over a kpro'd ecu? Do you have a timeframe that you are looking to have it completed in? Also that oil pickup looks awesome. That was one of the things that has always concerned me with this swap to see how it was done. Run a nice huge extension on the front of the pan like the BMW S14 racing oil pans.
                    The main reason for Link over KPro is my tuner and I have experience with Link and none with KPro. Also, The Link being a complete from-scratch standalone instead of a modified factory ecu makes it better in my eyes, but like I said, no experience with KPro so maybe it's really good as well. The Link is more than capable though, we use them as a cheaper alternative to MoTeC here at work, and they can be even easier to set up.
                    Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    Also, I'm curious about NA power with this setup on CA 91 pump gas. Is the projected 360hp with race gas/ethanol? Also is this still your only car or did you pick up a daily while the e30 is down?
                    360HP is a crank number, but that's on 91 octane. It might pick up 10-15hp with e85. I'm hoping for at least 300whp on 91.
                    Byron
                    Leichtbau

Comment

I am really intrigued by your oil pump setup. At first I was a little skeptical, but after looking at a buddies S14 and thinking through it a little more, it is starting to make a little more sense.

What are your plans as far as the sump and baffling? I am just curious since I will be going down this road shortly as well. I know the S2000 guys have issues with oil running up the timing cover under braking and have to do baffling to resolve it. Since K motors weren't designed to mount longitudinally they don't usually experience that in FWD setups.

Comment

This is fantastic. I can’t wait to see more progress.

Comment

would you mind weighing that 6 speed trans when you get a chance?
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread to look at the pictures of the oil pump. And that is pretty much perfect. I will be having to tackle this project this summer when I have vacation. Although your solution won't work for me, it gave me some other ideas.

From your pictures it looks like there is a good bit of room to move the engine forward or backward And that if you ran a subframe spacer you could run a tube up and over the subframe and put the pick up down into the pan. At least that is my plan at the moment.

What are your plans for intake manifold. I bought a use skunk2 that is supposed to be able to flip around without modification. I am excited see what else you do. Keep up the good work.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

, yes absolutley a great in depth thread !

we can all learn from this, !

simply fantastic.

Comment

This is my favorite car on R3v right now. Thanks for keeping us posted with pics of your work.

Comment

Working...
                                X