No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn’t seem like a lot to me for four days worth of work. Today was just priming the driver’s side and clean/organize the shop. I still need to emboss the passenger fender, bodywork the roof, hood and grille shell. Blow it apart to spray the jambs and reassemble for block/paint the outside. Ugh. Not enough hours in the day.

Comment

Test in a sheet metal panel. Not very amber. A little orange gel should take care of that.

Comment

Comment

Adam- what type of primer are you using on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
            Adam- what type of primer are you using on the car?

Unfortunately it’s a generic primer from WESCO Autobody. I can’t afford something high end. What I do like about it is by deleting/or adding the reducer in the mix, it can be a high-build primer, a surfacing primer or a wet-on-wet sealer. I will be using a nice PPG sealer when I paint, so I think I’ll be ok. I’ll try and get a pic of the primer can later. I need to buy more.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
              Test in a sheet metal panel. Not very amber. A little orange gel should take care of that.
              hmm...could you make those blink with the signals? (sorry to suggest making this any more complicated!)

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                hmm...could you make those blink with the signals? (sorry to suggest making this any more complicated!)

That’s the plan!!

Comment

Heyyy! Lookit that!

Comment

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Sanded the roof with 80g to prep for bodywork (no pictures), embossed the other fender (no pictures) and sanded out some lacquer checking in the old old paint (no pictures) this AM before going to work. Then I started on the new hood hinge system. Might be sad news for some people, but I’m just designing a front tilt style hinge system. The other style was cool, but needed lots more engineering and was putting weird stresses on the hood itself. I also had a lot of figurin to do for the rear latches. Anyway, hinge work.

Template to figure clearances.

Rolling some square tube for the crossbar. I tacked then together so the radius would match.

Missed some in between pics. Try to get some more tomorrow. Short videos to come.

Comment

Comment

Nothing new to post. Well, not much. Got the most notable dents/dings worked out of the roof and loaded it up with a couple heavy coats of high build primer so I can guide coat it and knock it back. I know it’s wavy in some spots, but I’m pretty sure the high build will eat it up.

Hoping to possibly maybe hopefully cut the first parts in this weekend. We’ll see.

Comment

I just read the whole thread and WOW! This makes me want to learn how to fabricate and build cars. Once this is finished I’d love to see this featured on Hoonigans build break down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just gotta give a huge thank you to Vogue Autowerks in Kirkland, WA for letting me work on the Amazon there. I know most of you guys aren’t local to Seattle, but if you are and have a need for the services they offer, please feel good about supporting them. There’s no way I could get all this done in my driveway with the weather the way it’s been (and is supposed to be). I kind of feel bad invading their shop a bit. Mostly because everything I’m doing is dusty and messy. We all need help from others and they’ve really come through for me.

If you want to follow them,
                              IG: @vogueautowerks
                              FB: @vogueautowerks

Comment

First parts cut in with the new color. Went a bit out of order since I really wanted to see some color for motivation.

Process:
                                Sealer-

Base coat-

Clear coat-

(shown above)

Tomorrow I need to block out the roof and re-prime. Might be able to cut in some more parts by the end of the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X