No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon fiber hood in two days... wow. You would never guess it's oversized, very fitting for the build.

Comment

That hood looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also, I don't think that spring be springin so much these days. Guessing the wagon backside weighs more than a regular E30's

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
            Well, I didn't exactly take the time to photo journal the work I did. I decided last minute to try and make a carbon hood for my car. Materials arrived Tuesday at 11 and I was clear coating it by noon on Thursday.

I tried a different technique than I normally do. Instead of making a mold, I prepped and laid up three layers of carbon on the outside of the hood. De-molded that, then two layers of CSM on the inner structure. De-molded that, then bonded the two together. So, dimensionally it's slightly oversized from the stock hood, but there was room in the gaps.

Is there anything you *can't* do, Adam?

Comment

Originally posted by Donkeyshins View Post

Is there anything you *can't* do, Adam?
              Engine tuning, window tint, wrap, there's a few things.

Comment

28lbs off the nose, not bad! And it looks the part on your car.
                Really like how you duplicated the inner support structure in carbon as well.

Yeah those rear springs don't look like there is too much travel left.
                I'm assuming there's no bumpstop inside there or you'd be on it right now.
                Last edited by Panici; 05-21-2024, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The question I've been struggling with is:
                  I have the skills and ability to make a carbon replacement roof skin for this car. I think it would be REALLY cool, but replacing this roof skin is different than most newer cars. This isn't drilling out spot welds and replacing. This will be cutting the sheet metal. Much harder to “go back”. Also, I'd need to store the sheet metal just in case I want/need to go back.

Typically I have zero qualms with cutting cars up. Clearly. As time goes on and it gets harder and harder to find parts, I do feel a little worry. For myself, not a potential future owner. Just me.

Comment

Also, kind of a funny story. We're driving back up to Seattle on Sunday and a car pulls up next to us on the freeway and the passenger holds a camera up. I know what to do, so I roll up the window and fall back a bit. After a few minutes, they fall back, we exchange hand gestures and they go on their way.

Before I even got home, there were these pics in my IG inbox. I love getting photos of my cars. Photography is another thing I'm just not good at.

Comment

Nice work on that hood! Fitment looks great for being slightly larger than original and I like that you did the inner structure in carbon as well. This whole project is so cool

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

The question I've been struggling with is:
                        I have the skills and ability to make a carbon replacement roof skin for this car. I think it would be REALLY cool, but replacing this roof skin is different than most newer cars. This isn't drilling out spot welds and replacing. This will be cutting the sheet metal. Much harder to “go back”. Also, I'd need to store the sheet metal just in case I want/need to go back.

Typically I have zero qualms with cutting cars up. Clearly. As time goes on and it gets harder and harder to find parts, I do feel a little worry. For myself, not a potential future owner. Just me.

What's the curb weight right now? Wondering how much you would potentially gain by a carbon roof skin given the car (even as a BMW/Volvo hybrid) has to be pretty darn light. Or is it more about the styling (or, for that matter, the challenge)? 👍

(the hood is brilliant, BTW)
                        Last edited by Donkeyshins; 05-22-2024, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkeyshins View Post

What's the curb weight right now? Wondering how much you would potentially gain by a carbon roof skin given the car (even as a BMW/Volvo hybrid) has to be pretty darn light. Or is it more about the styling (or, for that matter, the challenge)? 👍
                          It's all of that. I can say that I did a carbon roof replacement for a Toyota Mirai once and it was more of a weight savings than I expected.

Comment

Hey [mention]2mAn [/mention] what's a guy gotta do to get a build of the month shot? 😂

Comment

It's a sickness

Another 17lbs off the nose

Comment

It's a sickness

Another 17lbs off the nose

Damn. Pretty soon this is gonna be the all-carbon fiber E30 Volvo N52.

Comment

Working...
                                X