Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kronus
    replied
    the crazy thing is someone bought and installed aftermarket struts into this 1989 model year car, before october 1990!

(and also that they've actually retained some life for 29 years)

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    The intricacies of the IX. I am pretty positive my struts and springs are Western Germany.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    also if anyone is out here reading this and has a DS rear bumper and some bumper shocks, I will trade you straight across for the entire tow hitch setup. Please. I hate it.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    ^^ It fits reasonably well into, uh, where the cat would normally go. the IE long tube collectors are lower than it.

Managed to knock out some motor diagnostics in the last few days. Overall, a lot of indicators are pointing to it desperately needing a proper tune to continue diagnosing. I hope the rings aren't fucked, and I hope I didn't get bent over on a theoretically nicely-build bimmerheads motor. (I did buy it briefly-used)

- I adjusted the valves in hopes of making the motor less clattery. Even though a lot of the valves were very out of spec, putting them right sadly did not improve the racket significantly.

- I installed a catch can in an effort to understand why the motor is burning oil. If it's aerating the oil in the pan, a lot of it will come out in crankcase gases and should be measurable in the catch can. If not, ????

- I did a comp test and came up with consistent numbers, roughly 150-155, which is in line with the expected piston compression. Did not do a wet test, aiming to get a leakdown together this coming weekend.

- I did a vacuum test and it ended up at around ~12-14 at idle, which is low, and probably related to the motor's shitty, stumbly idle. Unclear if it's a cause or effect, though. Going to smoke test this coming weekend to rule out intake leaks.

- After a lot of whining and resistance on my part, Julien convinced me that it would ride better with proper front springs, so we installed OE IX springs I've been stashing and replaced both front struts at the same time with relatively fresh Bilstein HDs. The struts that came out (that the seller of the car claimed were replaced in 2014) were Bilsteins that said MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY on them, so, par for the course.

new ride height is appropriately 4x4 -

I've got some new dampers and springs for the rear that need to go on, as it's pretty saggy. Soon.

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    Nice I got that same muffler, although with a single 3" inlet. How deep does it fit into there? Does it hang super low under the car?

Needs sound clip :D

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    I've got some E36 springs sitting in a box somewhere that should accomplish the same. thank you, though!

Leave a comment:

• BreadMan
    replied
    I've got good condition front IX springs and rear x3 springs (I think) that the PO had on my coupe. Provides proper 4x4 status -- the rear springs eliminate the IX rear end sag. PM if interested, I have to dig out of garage for picture. Shipping cost from NY + some very very reasonable amount.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    thanks! it's come a long way but definitely has a long way to go. I'll get a clip together - actually growing happier with how it sounds.

off the top of my head, the current list of things that need to be addressed:

urgent

- motor has a top end rockery noise, needs a valve adjustment
    - exhaust leaks need to be addressed - aiming to take the midpipe down, grind down the welds and try to get any leaks closed up
    - exhaust hangs low due to flex joint and no support for midpipe, needs a hanger somewhere on the trans brace
    - motor burns a decent amount of oil and smells like it.. :[
    - leaner tune
    - DS front strut is stripped, needs to be replaced. I have a pair of bilsteins to go in, aiming to reinstall stock front iX springs at the same time for dat 4x4 stance

soon

- catback needs to be have its mounting ears straightened
    - rust hole next to muffler needs to be closed up with a patch plate
    - rust holes under taillights need to be treated with converter and sealed up
    - headlights are abysmal, need to be re-wired and probably replaced if I can't get the lenses to be clear again

before the winter

- aftermarket fogs + mount
    - mudflaps
    - tear down driver's seat, replace collapsed foam bolster with decent one
    - variety of cosmetic issues
    - rear valence needs repainted
    - tow bar needs removed, bumper and shocks replaced
    - rear suspension needs all the bushings tossed at it
    - rear calipers need to be rebuilt and painted
    - rear rotors need to be turned
    - rear brake lines need to be swapped for coated SS
    - diff needs to have its toasted VC swapped for a good one. might just swap in the full set of 3.91 diffs I have stashed.

Leave a comment:

• BreadMan
    replied
    So once you've had enough your only buyers will be from out here. So keep us (me) posted.

Really, this thing is radical. I love my ix coupe -- until a new post for this car pops up.

Short driving clip after the tune, please.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    it's a bimmerheads motor - serial #188

85mm bore
    89.6 stroke crank (S52 or M54, unclear)
    s50 rods 135mm
    comp 9.75:1 forged pistons
    race head
    +1mm valves
    272 cam
    HD rockers
    TI springs
    IE long tube headers
    Gates racing timing belt
    ARP hardware throughout

I've basically been driving it on the startup tune for the last week. At some point soon it should be getting a proper one, which I'm looking forward to.

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    You're not wrong, it is a 3000mi-er!
    it true true

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Originally posted by BreadMan View Post
    Following from the east coast. I'll say that from 3000 miles away this car shows darn well. Tell us more about specs for the 3.1 stroker.
    You're not wrong, it is a 3000mi-er!

Leave a comment:

• BreadMan
    replied
    Following from the east coast. I'll say that from 3000 miles away this car shows darn well. Tell us more about specs for the 3.1 stroker.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    It sounds ok. The exhaust is nice and deep, and the mid muffler/x-pipe managed to quiet down the stormung drone substantially.

I'm chasing down some other noises that are happening, though, so can't listen to the exhaust quite yet. Getting a loud belt hum from the front of the motor and a honk-like noise from the left CV at low speed in turns. Just more stuff.

The 3.1 feels good power-wise. Not completely mind-blowing, so it's likely that there is more left in the motor that a better tune could evoke.

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Car is looking great! Exhaust sure looks tight up in there, great work.
    How does it sound?

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    after a thrash and a rampage and some exhaust fabrication, it's a car again

(h/t Julien for the shot)

exhaust -

Leave a comment:

Working...
X