Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan's Hennarot 318is (s54, slicktop conversion, MT2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, first step was to build up the valley where the roof/sunroof met. I didn't want to fill it with pure filler because I was concerned it wouldn't have the structural integrity required. I filled it first with "kitty-hair" or fiber glass filled polyester resin. Great stuff to work with.
    Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

mt2 arrives.

My friend also suckered me into buying his 911 that I painted the spoiler for... I needed something fun to drive while waiting on this dang e30
      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Filler, spread extremely thin. Lots of sanding

I had to leave town and wanted to protect all that hard work so I epoxied the roof.
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I think I easily spent 100 hours on the roof, between removing the sunroof, welding in new panels, bonding in the sunroof and then leveling it all out. I'm sure a shop would have been faster but at a $35/hr labor rate in a body shop....I don't even want to think what would have been discussed if I had taken my car somewhere to be painted.

Getting serious now, I pulled out the front/rear windshields. Much easier than I expected it to be.
          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

More roof work. There was a sizable dent near the windshield I couldn't get to so I had to fill.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Prepping the car for 2k high build surfacer to block. Because my epoxy primer had cured already I had to scuff the entire car with 220 grit first, then lay down a coat of epoxy primer then 3 coats of surfacer. I used this opportunity to spot putty tiny imperfections.

here it is painted

Roof is starting to really come together:
              COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Test fitting the mt2 rear bumper. I hate the fit...may try to do what Jordan did with his build. Or, I'll have to modify the tip.

Hours and hours of guide coat/blocking/more primer/blocking, repeat
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Time to start painting! At this point, all the body work is done, car has an body work done, epoxy primer, followed by 2k surfacer blocked with 400 grit.

As a first test I painted the inside of the trunk.

Entire trunk based

Edge cleared

Done
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Now to paint the body. I wanted to seal the entire thing with an epoxy sealer just for extra precaution and longevity.

Car taped and ready for sealer

Sealer coat done

I let the sealer cure for 1 day and then retaped the entire car (didn't want gray flecks to land on the red paint).

Had to sand a couple nibs

First coat of base

Base done

Action shot after laying down all the clear - notice the stack of air filters in the left corner I went through to keep all this paint from going out and pissing off the neighbors. Also, that is not the respirator I'm using while painting. I used a Hobby air 400 that supplies fresh air through a hose to a mask. Really great setup because you know 100% that you're breathing safe air. Respirators can't block out isocyanates.
                    COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Here is the car the next day after painting

After going through this, my take on car painting is:
                      1. It's going to take forever so you better love it.
                      2. Follow every instruction perfectly. It's science not art.

But, even with all that, I'm still a total novice so there is a ton of work wet sanding the clearcoat to flatten out the orange peel. But in the end...after a wetsand and buff it looks like a million bucks.

First test. Here is the fender before cut and buff

After (this isn't final - just a quick test)

Tons of wet sanding on the roof so I put my helpers to work

and man...check out that roof!

Last edited by rjmcdermott81; 10-23-2018, 09:30 AM.
                      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I'm so happy you finally made a build thread lol. Looking awesome, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
                          I'm so happy you finally made a build thread lol. Looking awesome, keep it up!

I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you for sending me that clist ad for the car... but it's been a fun journey. Thanks for the help.
                          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Awesome!! Very impressed with all the work you've done, I'm excited to see it on the road!

Comment

Something special about seeing a new thread and seeing 3 pages of content within the first 2 days of posting it. Great work! Looks like a great project and I love that the kiddos are helping.

Comment

whoa, this build is awesome!

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X