1989 325i Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325i Rescue

I try to follow the philosophy of buying the best car you can. I had that in mind when we decided to sell the 1991 318iC. I knew I wanted to get a coupe, preferably a '89. I was thinking about a budget up to $10k for a nice 325is. Be patient, wait for a deal on the right car. Fly somewhere to get it and drive it home.

Instead this car came along, 1989 325i auto. That has been sitting in a field since 2009.
    My friends sister bought the car in 1998 somewhere around Seattle. It was her daily until it had an mechanical failure in 2009 They parked it in their dads field where it has sat since. Pulled it out today and towed it home.
    There is no consensus on the mechanical failure. They all confirm it drove there, my buddy said it had a rod knock, his dad says the problem was in the head. His sister had taken it to a mechanic that said it needed an engine and tried to buy the car.
    It has about 160k on it. They said she took care of it so seems unlikely to be a bottom end problem. Hoping it's something in the head.

Washed 9 years of dirt, moss, mold and bees nests off it. Cleaned found some good things and some bad. Doesn't appear to be any rust, battery box is clean, rockers are good. The hood and right fender have been painted, and it is not holding up well. The front valence has been replaced and the paint is failing.

Interior is a bit better than expected. Doesn't appear to have been any leaks so its not musty or moldy inside. Headliner and visors are nice, door panels are good, carpet is nice, comfort sears are shredded in front, sun disintegrated in back. Dash is cracked, but not terrible.

Hooked up the jump box and dash lit up, blower works, wipers work. Put in some gas and cranked it a few times. Cranked easy but didn't start.

Moss was taking hold.

Last edited by Poorhouse; 11-12-2018, 06:12 AM. Reason: Resize pics, spelling, grammar, stupid phone.
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Ran the VIN. It's got a LSD.
    Although the ratio will probably be wrong for a manual swap.

S209A Differential lock 25
    S286A BMW LA wheel BMW Styling
    S410A Window lifts electric front
    S530A Air conditioning
    S540A Cruise Control
    S556A Outdoor temperature indicator
    S925A DummySALAPA
    Prod. Date 1988-08-23
    Check mileage http://www.auto-records.com
    Type 325I (USA)
    Series E30 (3 Series)
    Body Type LIM
    Steering LHD
    Engine M20
    Displacement 2.50
    Power 125kw / 170hp
    Drive HECK
    Transmission Automatic
    Colour ALPINWEISS 2 (218)
    Upholstery (0271)
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Just scored a full black sport interior and HR sports w/Bilsteins .

Buying stuff out of order, but it was to good a deal to pass up on.
      1991 318iC
      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Hey good thing you have a long winter to work on it during. Looking forward to see you getting it running.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Montana represent.

Comment

Represent indeed. You about never see an E30 up here. Cool there are some MT guys here.

Long winter, but will it be long enough.. Amazing how little I get done sometimes.
            1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Made a little progress.

Ordered some relays, filters and tune up parts to see if I can get this thing started. New battery as well. The Die Hard that was in there was dated 2001.

I'm not hearing the fuel pump turn on. Hoping it's a relay and not the pump.

Found a black leather sport seat interior and a set of H&R sport springs with Bilsteins for $600. Swapped the interior in over the weekend.

The antenna grommet is gone. Jack base and wheel chock were rusty. Took the trunk apart to see if there are any surprises. Looks good.

1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Before you crank it again, check the timing belt.
                Edit: I see that it "ran when parked" classic line.

Car looks good man!
                I do things.

Comment

Awesome, looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Reminds me of my start on my car, although yours is in better condition!
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                    Awesome, looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Reminds me of my start on my car, although yours is in better condition!

I need to find you build thread. I'll nee some inspiration.

Sport interior installed. Leather is pretty dry. I've got some Leatherique conditioner. It's to cold to do much good now.

1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                      I need to find you build thread. I'll nee some inspiration.

Well my car was running:) But the interior and wiring were a mess, not to mention a bunch of other things.

The link to my thread is in my sig, the right one above the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                        Well my car was running:) But the interior and wiring were a mess, not to mention a bunch of other things.

The link to my thread is in my sig, the right one above the picture.

Damn! You are going all out, beautiful work.

Decided I had to do something about the dry leather seats. Heated the shop up to 60 then put a space heater in the car to really warm it up.

Put on 6 coats of Leatherique. That used up the remaining 3/4 bottle I had.
                        That started to soften up the leather a little bit. Could use at least another 6 coats.

Anyone have anything they like better than Leatherique before I order some more?
                        1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                          Damn! You are going all out, beautiful work.

Decided I had to do something about the dry leather seats. Heated the shop up to 60 then put a space heater in the car to really warm it up.

Put on 6 coats of Leatherique. That used up the remaining 3/4 bottle I had.
                          That started to soften up the leather a little bit. Could use at least another 6 coats.

Anyone have anything they like better than Leatherique before I order some more?
                          Not sure if I know of something better, I use Leatherique on all my cars and it works very well, that being said the cars had not sat for years of neglect prior.

How long did you leave it on? I would only do it in the summer and leave it on the seats for over a day in the hot sun with the windows closed. Leatherique needs a ton of heat.

Another technique is to put the Leatherique on, cover the seats in plastic and use a hair dryer to heat them up really good, the stuff really needs to soak into the leather to work.

Comment

It was soaking in fast. I didn't wipe any off.
                            6 coats went on over the course of 90 minutes or so.
                            They are slightly tacky now. I need to hit them with the perfect clean and buff them out.

I feel better getting some moisture into the leather now. I'll hit them again in the summer with the car out in the sun.
                            1991 318iC
                            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Replaced the 3 main relays last night and put in a new battery.
                              Still no action from the fuel pump.

Pulled the pump, so nasty. :(

I'm going to need a new tank and fuel pump assembly.

1991 318iC
                              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                              X