Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resuscitating an E 30 Convertible (story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resuscitating an E 30 Convertible (story)

Hopefully I can get an answer to this without "comment"!
    I have found an 88 Convertible that I am going to resuscitate, it's a White/Black interior 325.
    Found locally by "jerkumstance"... I happened to be looking at a website and "a guy" was welding some patches on the rear of of this car under the tail light..he actually made fitted pieces that were shaped by hand to the original and welded them beautiful job.
    The car was located at a shop the kinda' does a lot of E 30 work..it is very near my "studio" so I went to look at it
    The car appears to be very "straight" (all vin stickers present) no major dents but chalky white paint, the interior (sourced) was all there...Black sport seats and a black matching rear seat (not split on top) all just piled into the car.
    The roof is just about to come apart but still not torn, rear window is out.
    The engine has had a head/valve job (209,000 mi) and is getting a new (rebuilt) 4.11...
    It will be "put together, everything working w/R134 air and be finished in 2 to 3 weeks....(but this is S. FL so?)
    Price is very reasonable for this car which I think I can "make into" a very nice driver...a 9 ???
    Firstly it needs a top, so my question is what to do about a replacement...I want to put an O/E top on it ??
    I have "heard" that one can get lucky and find a complete top with a fairly new fabric and just take the whole mechanism (manual) and switch it, anyone have any experience with that?
    Barring that which is the best replacement top to get?
    What have you paid recently to have the top installed ...
    I am making a "story" about this and started with before pictures...
    To be continued

I thank you for your "patience" and NO I am not a noob (just new to this site)...I have been a BMWCCA member since the mid 70's, my first was a 732002tii in 74 and about 25 Bimmers later I am on my 3rd Touring, and I did have some E 30's years ago...
    tnx Daniel
    BMWCCA 12660

Looking forward to it!

BTW, have a lead that can do the top. Come by and check out the other white cabbie for a sample of the install. :)
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
    X