• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agent View Post
    F.A.G. hubs are the ones you want.

Thank you Agent!

Comment

Sonny's Weak M10 Build

I just received my new hub and accessories . I’m currently using brand new lug bolts and Using original bottle cap spare tire and aired up to 33psi with a new looking tire.

She has new control arms , sway bar links, and tie rods. I notice a strong clunk when I approach a driveway or the entrance for car wash down the street. Clunk keeps happening at the begging of driveway or speedbump and only once always or twice max when I’m exiting driveway and going on a street that has an incline. Very sketchy, if anybody may help me in knowing what it could be please before I throw parts at it and replace control arm again as I don’t have any money left to spend on this car right now. It has less than 5 miles on front suspension refresh. Thank you all !

There seems to be no play when I move and pull the wheel while it’s in the air.
      I also can’t replicate the clunk by bouncing on the door frame or pushing down on fender. Only happens while moving approaching any driveway entrance, especially straight on. Sideways seems to prevent noise.

You all know more than me , does anyone know what I should test out or replace?

Car is not driven whatsoever besides 0-25mph In about 60 seconds tests.

Basically incline angles makes her make a single clunk even at a 2 mph roll, I’m stressed out I think the hub won’t fix the problem, but it is needed.
      Last edited by Sonny; 05-02-2019, 12:32 AM.

Comment

The clunk only happens on heavy deflection when I first hit the driveway and suspension compresses.

Comment

Check all the bolts.
          As I say "Grip it and rip it" Grab shit and shake it.

Tie rod ends, sway bar links, strut tower bolts.
          I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
            Check all the bolts.
            As I say "Grip it and rip it" Grab shit and shake it.

Tie rod ends, sway bar links, strut tower bolts.

It seems that I can not replicate with wheel in air by shaking.
            Only noise happens is upon heavy deflection and when suspension compresses at driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
              It seems that I can not replicate with wheel in air by shaking.
              Only noise happens is upon heavy deflection and when suspension compresses at driveway.
              Jack it up, put it on a stand, and then use the jack to compress the suspension slightly, see what you notice. Also, just put a wrench on all the bolts, from the strut tower to the subframe, make sure they're all tight.

Also, my rear end makes clunking noises, I think it's the powerflex bushings. Because I've checked it three times, nothing is loose.
              I do things.

Comment

Sonny's Weak M10 Build

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                Jack it up, put it on a stand, and then use the jack to compress the suspension slightly, see what you notice. Also, just put a wrench on all the bolts, from the strut tower to the subframe, make sure they're all tight.

Also, my rear end makes clunking noises, I think it's the powerflex bushings. Because I've checked it three times, nothing is loose.

If you want some trailing arm bushings I have new Febi that I can mail you out for free, mine were replaced by previous owner .

Comment

I will try doing more shaking. It just seems the clunk is deep and I feel it in the floor board , the same frame rail the control arm mounts to

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                    If you want some trailing arm bushings I have new Febi that I can mail you out for free, mine were replaced by previous owner .
                    Every bushing on that car is new, but thanks tho.
                    Feels tight like tiger, but with harder materials comes more NVH.
                    I do things.

Comment

Did the clunking sound happen before you had your wheel fall off incident? Or has it started after that happened?
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                        Did the clunking sound happen before you had your wheel fall off incident? Or has it started after that happened?

It started just after, I did the suspension refresh because there was clattering on rocky roads. Now there is no more , but she is very sketchy in the loud clunk when entering any driveway, and I’m afraid to go over 40mph in a straight line

Comment

Comment

Its a spider coming to get you
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Its a spider coming to get you
                              I do things.

Comment

Hey Sonny,

Glad to see that you finally got around to making a build thread.
                                I would honestly recommend having these three things as priority:

1: Cooling System - Flush the rad and system, new water pump, new fan clutch. If you're really going to go for an electric fan, I would avoid ebay and go with a Spal if anything. The stock mechanical fan is perfectly adequate but make sure the engine mounts aren't trashed.

2: Suspension - Replace bushings (especially worn ones), shocks and springs, sway bars, tires. Look out for worn suspension parts like bushings, ball joints, etc. Replace and upgrade as necessary. Shocks and spring kits are a good option because coilovers are not always the best suspension solution depending on the application. With an early model 318, I would assume your car doesn't have a rear sway bar. Try to find front and rears from a convertible or 325 or aftermarket. Tires are important, you don't need to drop a ton of money on Michelin Super Sports but make sure they're at least decent. Having a sorted suspension will make the E30 more fun to drive regardless of power.

3: Manual Swap - Swap it to manual, the car will be much more fun to drive. Driving slow cars fast is more fun than driving fast cars fast IMO.
                                Originally posted by Melon
                                Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Working...
                                X