Our new Project E30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our new Project E30!

Thought I would post up some pics from the progress of our project E30.

I'm new around here, but thought I'd post up the new project we'll be working on. It's a '91 E30 318is M42 with roughly 200k.

Plans for this include an S14 motor/tranny swap, 5-lug conversion, half cage, and numerous other goodies. This car will become the weekend track car. We'll provide more pics and details as the project progresses.

Just to update...
    Started a little of the body work, got the fender pounded and smoothed out.

Started stripping out the interior so we can pull the A/C, carpet, and prep for the new S14 wiring harness.

Motor's coming in this weekend, hoping to have have the M42 out by the weekend so next week we can clean up the car, reinforce the subframe, and prep to put the S14 in the following weekend!

Just a quick update. With a buddy's help we got the motor out. No major hiccups. The steering column was a little stubborn, but once we got that out we were home free.

BAAAAD

GOOOOD

Just another quick update.

Spent the weekend cleaning the S14, tranny, engine bay. Pulling a lot of the sound damping panels, and just cleaning up the inside.

We got the subframe reinforced partially, and the motor is now in! Using new 740il motor mounts we got the motor seated back about 1/4" and lower 1/4". Fits perfect.

We don't have the tranny in yet, so the motor is being held in place with some bungy cords, just to prevent it from rocking around. It's only supported by 2 engine mounts right now, and it isn't very stable.

Next week is a big week. We've got the entire front suspension coming together.
    H&R RSS Coilovers, Delrin offset control arm bushings, new TRE's and ball joints, strut bearings, and the full 5-lug conversion in front.

Stay tuned for more updates!
    Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Got the front coilovers in finally. H&R RSS coilovers with a 629lb/in front spring. Combined with the delrin CAB this should make for some nice handling. :)

Another quick update.
    Got the car running! But turns out the oil cooler we got has a leak, so off to wait until we get another one.

Got our Odyssey battery all mounted. 23lbs vs 34lbs for the Die Hard that was in there.

We installed an oil filter relocation kit. If you've ever seen the oil filter location on these guys, you know what I'm talking about. Changing that filter sucks big time.

Put in a new throttle cable. Thanks Jake!

E36 M3 front brakes ready to go in.

And all the sound deadening crap is pulled out.

Last, we need to pull some more wiring harness out. Need to finish up our rear brakes, then we should have thing rolling again, off to have a roll bar setup put in.

And a few more updates from the weekend.

Got the E36M3 front brakes on along with the E46 17" wheels. Starting to look pretty good! We're gonna need about another 10mm of spacer up front to fill out the wells with the new fender flares. Tires are sitting a touch too close to the struts as well.

More updates from the week coming fast and furious.

Glass is all out, just a little prep to start some body work.

Door is out, waiting for new manual windor regulators to replace the electric windows.

Started to work on the rears finally.
    Planned are new poly subframe bushings, poly trailing arm bushings, new big case 4.10 LSD, new axles, new brake lines, and the hubs/bearings for the 5-lug.

New diff in front, old diff in back.
    Both are 4.10 LSD's, just the case sizes are different for better oil capacity and cooling.

Fender flares arrived. Looks like they need a little custom fitting.

Fiberglass decklid. A mere 6lbs!

New stainless lines installed over the subframe. These aren't really easy to get to, so now is the best time to change them. Changing them with the subframe in place looks like it'd be a realy PITA.
    Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

um.

WOW...320is ftw!!!
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Awesome man, I am always jealous of people who have nice "tools" to work with :)
        Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Very, cool your another Jersey guy correct?

Comment

It will be faster than a 320is if they have an s14 out of an m3. The 320is was a destroked s14 (2.0L)

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
              It will be faster than a 320is if they have an s14 out of an m3. The 320is was a destroked s14 (2.0L)

Will
              Correct-o-mundo!

That's quite a build up, I'm anxious to see how this car progresses!

Comment

hell yeah. looks like its going to be a fun car!

Comment

Hoy! Your front tires are facing the wrong direction!!!

But DAAAAYUM thats a sick car, I'd love to do all that stuff to my 335i!! Very cool.
                  '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

ahh an s14 conversion for a 318is that would be nice to do to my 318i
                    E30 325ix 62k

Comment

looks great so far!!
                      Slicktop City!

Comment

Great progress!!

Comment

Wow.

I saw this...

Plans for this include an S14 motor/tranny swap, 5-lug conversion, half cage, and numerous other goodies. This car will become the weekend track car. We'll provide more pics and details as the project progresses.

...and immediately though, "Yay, another dreamer"...And then I saw the rest of your post.

Seriously impressive!
                          Trevor Ely
                          '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                          '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Man thats a cool project
                            sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
                            Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
                            NEW One on the track :)
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
                            Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

nice little project mate!

Comment

Working...
                              X