No announcement yet.

My Update! (cable/dsl only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice dohc project. Are you knife edging the crank? Just wondering after your comment about the crank weight.

Sorry about your last car. The alpine looks great though. Just like mine..

Comment

haha, that's funny. it looks almost in the same position/place that I have mine.
      nah, I'm not knife edging the crank. Maybe when/if I have to do a tear down I will take it to have it done.
      I try to work on it everyday, but that tends to not happen sometimes.
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Was enjoying all the work till I saw the safety wire on the nut. You should have used a proper safety wire tool and drill out the sprocket. You might loose that wire into the pan.

Very nice project.

Comment

I drilled through the sprocket. I managed to line up the hole on the nut and the hole in the sprocket and ran a wire through there.
          My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
            haha, that's funny. it looks almost in the same position/place that I have mine.
            Yeah my lighting isnt as good though. Crappy cell phone picture, I dont know why I dont ever use my nice camera..

Comment

Time for another update!

I finally get to finish the bottom end next week when I get my rods back from the machine shop. A few of my buddies decided it would be funny to keep my rods at the shop for a week before telling me that they can't machine them, but they were able to point me to a guy that does EXCELLENT work and is highly recommended. I also have my ARP main studs coming on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

On to the pictures!

S54 radiator from an MZ3 Coupe:

My oil pan baffle that I made today:

Now it's time to wait, again, for more stuff.

Hopefully I will be able to buy my head gasket this week and put everything, minus a cam, together.

Jon
              My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Haha, tell me how it works out, I really wish I could have had the ability to say that I had a 2.9, but shit happens.
                1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

Who likes updates? I know I do.

First, rod bearing clearances:
                  1 - 0.025 mm
                  2 - 0.025 mm
                  3 - 0.028 mm
                  4 - 0.028 mm
                  5 - 0.025 mm
                  6 - 0.022 mm

Ok, had to order new piston rings and rod bolts, got the wrong ones from WorldPac, so I had to get them from the dealer. Ouch. Rings - 198 bucks, Bolts - 50 bucks (or so). Didn't make me too happy, until I put them in.

Here are some crappy pictures, I will take some with a camera tomorrow.

Pistons IN!!!:

Deck Clearance (-0.031"):

Front timing cover and water pump bolted on:

Here is some useful information for everyone (excerpt from my post on BF.c):
                  Here is some info on the motor:
                  Combustion chamber VOL: 32 CC's
                  Deck Clearance: -0.031" (piston sticks out of the deck for a negative value)
                  Single Cylinder VOL: 475.5 CC's

Ok, if my calculations are correct these should be my options on HG's and what those HG's would make my CR:
                  0.098" HG = 12.5:1 CR
                  0.120" HG = 11.7:1 CR
                  0.140" HG = 11.1:1 CR

Who thinks they know what HG I will be choosing? ;-)
                  My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Ok, got some better pictures.

Looks like there will be a little bit of compression!!!

I took the oil filter housing off to have part of it welded up. I should get it back either Wednesday or Thursday, I will post pictures of it when I get it back.

Jon
                    My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Jon, do you have a pic of the oil filter housing gasket? i want to take mine off, but im not sure if i have the gasket sitting in my pile of new parts. i didnt know if came off that easy, i mite as well pull it and clean it up! PS: your block is looking minty fresh!
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post

Look directly below the #1 cylinder. The gasket actually stayed on the block when I took off the housing.

Jon
                        My 2.9L Build!

Comment

HA. yeah you should have seen the gaskets on my front timing cover...the water pump side gasket was totally rotted onto the block...

Comment

Yea, it definitely was nasty before I threw the block in my truck and took it to the machine shop.
                            My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Ok then. BIG update for you guys. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Does anyone have a picture of where they had to grind in order to make room for their flywheel? Is it this little piece here next to the bolt?

And just so everyone knows what my compression ratio is looking like:

Jon
                              My 2.9L Build!

Comment

sweet. your motor is coming together 10x faster than mine. i just threw my block in the back of the GF rav4, and even though the oil pan was off, about a quart of oil proceeded to leak out of the top of the timing cover and onto her carpet... i could have swore that thing was empty. LOLz @ me.

Comment

Working...
                                X