No announcement yet.

My Update! (cable/dsl only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for not being able to update this thread in a while. Had to take care of some family stuff that came up.

A while back I decided to refinish a set of BBS RZ's off of an E38. I stripped the paint off of the wheels, polished the lips, and then painted the centers.
    Enjoy:

Since the front had been converted, I thought I would go ahead and throw the back together and have a complete 5-lug setup.

Had to go get the replacement parts:

Ok, I had a set of 17x9 MZ3 rear wheels with 245/40 tires on them. I wanted to see how they would look on the back and if it would clear the fenders.

Here are my tires (right) standing next to the 17x9's (left).

Mine on right, 17x9's on left.

Then I put everything on.

And let's take a look at the 17x9's.

And on the ground (suspension hasn't settled any and the car has basically nothing in it).

Comparison:

Took it off and put my wheel on there.

Tomorrow I am putting the diff and axles back in. It took me about 4 1/2 hours to pull everything out and put the new stuff in. I'm happy with how the wheels came out.
    The wheels that I have on there are 16x8 with 225/45 BFGoodrich T/A KDW's. I'm hoping that the tires will be able to keep me from spinning too much, but if they don't, then I've got those 17x9's and I will throw an extra spring pad on and see if I rub and how much will need to be flared. I am planning on flaring all of the fenders, but I am going to wait until everything is in the car and the suspension is settled so that I can actually see where the fender lips sit in comparison to the tires/wheels.

Jon
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

nice wheels/tires! those 17x9s are fugly on the E30 though
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I dig the 7 series wheels on there. the m coupe wheels really just don't fit the style of the e30 at ALL... Or the fenders for that matter.
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Man your car is lookin a little closer to pure sex in every post!
          Keep up the orgasmic work.

Man that is way too much referencing to intercourse, i need to tone down my posts.
          :)
          Still need $$$ for an e30...

Comment

17x9s need a little fender rolling...

my former boss has the kdws on his m roadster and it doesnt take much to break traction, however they should be pretty decent.

i like the way your going with this. should have waited on the clutch so you could put the motor and trans in together, its much easier.

How easy are the studs to get to with the TMS headers? looks tricky. do they bolt up to e36 downpipes?

be sure to get that thing dyno'd once done. Im debating which direction to take with my car whether its going to be s5x, 2.9, or boosted m50
            Old and improved:

Comment

those KDW's have a sexy tread pattern for sure. what are your plans for the body? paintjob? if yer gonna be painting it then pull the hell outa those fenders before hand, thats my biggest regret after having my car painted is that i didnt pull the fenders first...
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Ok, 'nother update time. (sans pictures)

I finished assembly on my 4.10 rear end. At first I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid little speed sensor ring on there and then I noticed that part of the ring that goes on the LSD housing was blued. This made me think that they heated the center of it to get it to slide onto the housing. So guess what I did. I grabbed my propane torch and heated the center of the ring up and what do you know, it slide right on. So grabbed some brake clean and sprayed it on there to cool it down and voila. It's on.
                So I threw the LSD unit into the housing, bolted everything together, and put it on. That's one thing I don't want to change again. That stupid thing has to weigh about 75 lbs.
                And if anyone is wondering if your stock cv axles will work with M3 hubs, yea, they do. Also, for my brake set up (in the rear) this is what I did: M3 hubs, E28 535 brake calipers (same size bore as M3), and E36 318ti brake caliper brackets with some grinding to help clear the brake disc. Easy peasy, slim and squeezey.
                So, looks like we are going to get to find out how a 4.10 LSD feels on an M50 with a G260. Can't wait.

Jon
                My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

It's going to feel SHORT! :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

nice....
                    beware of attack squirrels

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                      and E36 318ti brake caliper brackets with some grinding to help clear the brake disc.

I did this as well. Works like a charm! Oh yeah nice build!

Comment

Damn that looks sick. Wish I had got that 5 lug! E38 wheels are awesome on E30's.
                        Reminiscing...

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm trying my best to build a great looking E30.
                          My 2.9L Build!

Comment

nice build, your going to run the caliper springs right? i noticed you dont have any installed...

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

The anti-rattle clips?
                              Yea, I have them sitting next to my tool box right now. But, I won't be able to if I throw the Style 5's that I am hoping to put on just due to backspacing limits.
                              My 2.9L Build!

Comment

double post, ftl
                                My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Working...
                                X