No announcement yet.

E30-ls1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garret/Steve - I was just test fitting my motor/box tonight (finally found some time..) And the gearbox was having a bit of trouble fitting it's fat arse in, did you get any pics of where about you had to massage it?

Was it mainly the 2 buldges on each side? My gearbox probably sits a bit further back than yours, so it gets a bit tight..

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
    Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
    E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

Yep, that's one spot, and near the reverse switch on the other side. Put drivetrain in place, mark close spots with tape, remove drivetrain, pound with ball pien hammer. Get a foamie engine block (mock-up) and a GTO / Holden front-sump oil pan. Oil pan needs to be notched about 1.5" (38mm) to clear steering rack. This leaves shifter right in center of tunnel hole.
      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
      email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
      E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
      E30LS1@gmail.com
      e30ls1.com

Comment

you go to UW's? Nice ass project by the way, cant wait to see it at the picnic..along with the Ls1 m3..that was just nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
          Yep, that's one spot, and near the reverse switch on the other side. Put drivetrain in place, mark close spots with tape, remove drivetrain, pound with ball pien hammer. Get a foamie engine block (mock-up) and a GTO / Holden front-sump oil pan. Oil pan needs to be notched about 1.5" (38mm) to clear steering rack. This leaves shifter right in center of tunnel hole.
          I'm just going to remove my reverse switch, it isnt really that important anyway :p My motor and gearbox sit a bit further back than yours, it's a bit tighter than yours would've been. I might just cut the buldges out, then move the one from the right side over to the left side, then weld them back in - bit like this.

| |
          ) ( - normal
          | |

| |
          ( ) - swapped over
          | |

Oh, and my pan doesnt need to be notched :p

Comment

You need the reverse switch for back-up lites. We cut down the plastic around the switch to make it lower profile, and cut off the protective lugs on the tranny that are near the switch.
            E30-LS1 aka. 357is
            E30LS1@gmail.com
            e30ls1.com

Comment

Firestorm, when are we going to see pictures of your swap with the mad tyte dry sump?
              My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
              There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                Firestorm, when are we going to see pictures of your swap with the mad tyte dry sump?
                I have pleanty of pictures, just not any with it fitted in the car :) Only the early test fitting without the dry sump pan. I do have a fair few reference type pics too :)
                Last edited by Firestorm; 12-09-2007, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Updates? also ball park figure for all of the money spent to do it?

Comment

Fantastic install. I've been following this for a while. An LS1 swap is my dream e30 swap.

'88 325is
                    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Steve, Garrett, I think you have sufficiently raised the bar.

Outstanding, simply incredible work, terrific engineering, just awesome. Personally, I wish you had started with the M60, but I certainly do understand your position on the whole big-ass V8 thing. That is one fun lump of motor, no matter what chassis it is in.

I will chase you down at the picnic. You should be pretty visible...

Luke

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Any new updates on the build?
                        sigpic
                        1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                        1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                        1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                        1990 E30 325i
                        1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                        1996 E36 328ic
                        1997 Z3
                        2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

+1

'88 325is
                          VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                          BMWCCA 380364

Comment

yea no shit..this is crazy!!

Comment

check out our thread on bimmerforums.com
                              E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                              E30LS1@gmail.com
                              e30ls1.com

Comment

Why should we, you posted here why not update here. At least post a link to other thread.
                                sigpic
                                1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                                1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                                1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                                1990 E30 325i
                                1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                                1996 E36 328ic
                                1997 Z3
                                2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Working...
                                X