Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m21 swap underway

Well it's not fully e30 related, but close enough
    I recently picked up a rust bucket e28 turbodiesel, so i'm yanking the engine out of it and dropping it into my straight 86 528e. Plus i'm going to throw a 5-speed tranny on while i'm at it, on to the pics.

cut the core support out to make yanking the diesel easier

Diesel out and on the engine stand

I swung by the junkyards yesterday and got all the parts I need for the 5-speed conversion minus the radiator. The biggest thing to over come is the flywheel.
    On the Turbo diesel there is a sensor directly below the starter that reads 6-pins on the back of the flywheel to generate the tach signal. So I set about adding these pins to the back of a standard single mass m20 flywheel.

Old Auto flex plate showing the 6-pins

Pins removed

Pretty little pins

set the Auto flex plate on top of the 5-speed flywheel and lined up all the bolt holes to drill the holes for the pins

Here is a shot of the sensor that reads the pins

Holes drilled

Pins pressed into place

More to come later

And here is the new home for the oil burner
    Last edited by rs4pro3; 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

cool!

Comment

Looks like a bad ass project. Good luck man, and I hope everything works out flawlessly.
      If life passes you by... Downshift.

Comment

bigger turbo and more boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool project though
        -Chris

Comment

WVO going to be used?
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

few tips for the m21:
            1. if you replace the timing belt, just mark the old one with white-out as there are no TDC marks
            2. Get an intercooler these heads LOVE to warp (a new water pump is also worth it's weight in gold)
            3. Once everything is running solid, crank up the diesel pressure and the boost!!

I'm skeptical about the flywheel.. these motors came stock with mamoth dual mass flywheels to smooth out the motor, I *hope* the I f/w is heavy enough to make it an OK dd.

Julien
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

nice.. im suprised you still have that car. where did you end up finding an oilburner?
              Old and improved:

Comment

Intercooler already in the works(going to use a 745i unit).

Water pump is 2 week old
                I'm using the 24lb eta single mass flywheel not the I, so it should have enough mass to it.
                Long story short the oil burner has been in my driveway since last may, but I just recently purchased it from it's owner.
                Dave I'm just going to run regular diesel in it for now. I may later do a veggie oil conversion but depends. I'm trying to make a decent daily driver so this engine won't be getting anything to radical. The red car is a decent driver but the head and or block is cracked and it overheats when sitting at idle.

Here are some pics of the 5-speed stock pile of parts.

I had been saving the tranny for this engine, but it needs a full rebuild

Comment

Keep us posted. A guy here locally runs vegetable oil in his late model VW and MB diesels. He has a "refinery" in his garage and gets his supply from a local Chinese place. He showed me the setup when I was looking at a 2002 he had for sale a while back.
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

Great project. I have always wanted to throw a m21 into an e30. I think with a little more boost it could be a really fun and unique daily driver.
                    Matt

sigpic

Comment

I want one...
                      Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by alpinaclone View Post
                        Great project. I have always wanted to throw a m21 into an e30. I think with a little more boost it could be a really fun and unique daily driver.
                        and it'll sound just like an F-350 powerstroke *sigh*
                        Build Threads:
                        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
                          and it'll sound just like an F-350 powerstroke *sigh*
                          ha, i drove a TDI jetta today and they do sound like diesel trucks, i dig it though.
                          Old and improved:

Comment

I did a little tire swapping, and suspension swapping between the two cars today, the TD had bilsteins and way better tires on it, so I went ahead and swapped everything back and forth between the two. Still have to do the front struts sometime.

Oh and found out the diesel has a bad intank fuel pump, so I'm going to have to replace that before I swap the gas tanks.

Comment

looks like fun

-
                              Project
                              Parts for Sale
                              Feedback
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X