Racing control arm, good or no good? need opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing control arm, good or no good? need opinion

long story short, a drift/autox racer friend of mine referred me to a shop in the city of Industry in LA county. PASSracing built a road racing e30 M3 machine from scratch that is hella sick and quick that it gives me a boner all day, please go to

while building this e30 M3 race car, he decided to build his own racing control arm just like many of the other parts in this e30 m3 (notice the custom rear suspension kit; they want to use my car as an example to build coil-over kits which they plan to sell later): please review photo below

what do you guys think about this racing control arm? the best part about this is that it is one piece so it's a straight bolt on and easy to install, however, as you notice, there is no rubber or urethane control arm bushings, so he said that it is not recommended for daily driver because there is no way to absorb the noise when i hit a bump or a dip on the streets... do you guys think i can still use this on the streets and just sacrifice the noise that i hear whenever i hear bumps? or do y'all feel that the way this looks and is built, it will not last long in the streets?

Go for oe's or worst dollar cost the alum. e30 m3 units. they are like 3 bills a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Go for oe's or worst dollar cost the alum. e30 m3 units. they are like 3 bills a piece.

what's that, bro?

Comment

waste of money.

this is a racing control arm

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

no, you absolutely do not want to use those on the streets...
          My Feedback

Comment

Jeremiel, that is a stock aluminum M3 control arm. The only thing "race" about that picture is the adjustable mount/bearing. Looks like you can change the castor angle with these. What are they charging for those? Looks like a cool part but that's pretty hardcore for a streetcar. There's a whole bunch more to be done to the suspension before you get to that point.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You will hate those on the street.

Comment

thanks for the replies...

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                waste of money.

this is a racing control arm

dude, i want that! how much?

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                Jeremiel, that is a stock aluminum M3 control arm. The only thing "race" about that picture is the adjustable mount/bearing. Looks like you can change the castor angle with these. What are they charging for those? Looks like a cool part but that's pretty hardcore for a streetcar. There's a whole bunch more to be done to the suspension before you get to that point.

well, he just wants $175 and that ain't shit to me... should i just get it and try it out or where should i go to look for these?

my car is a daily driver, but it is a drift/autox/road race car as well and i don't care if i hear noises from after-market parts. my IE sways 25/22 alone makes squeaky noises already anyways, so i don't care about ride comfort...

my current control arm bushings are shot and i need to replace them before the scca autox event next month and the drift race next month, what kind of control arm would y'all recommend and which URL should I visit to purchase it?

Comment

Don't get them for daily driver. I made something almost identical for my car about 3 years ago. Nice thine is they allow caster adjustment, but on the street you feel and hear everything. I yanked them off and threw on a pair of urethane bushings instead. Unless it's a pure track car don't use them, and if daily driving I'd replaced the bearings at least twice a year
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

That's a race-only part that Eric posted. Probably they'd run around the price of an E30 in reasonable condition for a pair.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

sounds good so far... IE sold me M3 control arm bushings for the front cuz they didn't have urethane, only solid or m3... i guess i'll just go to pelican parts and buy the control arm or any suggestions? ebay?

Comment

so, are you posting in the project forum because you are actually going to build a car?

If not, maybe you should learn how to use r3v before buying anything, no offense.
                        My Feedback

Comment

:nice:

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by eta wagen View Post
                            so, are you posting in the project forum because you are actually going to build a car?

If not, maybe you should learn how to use r3v before buying anything, no offense.
                            no offense taken and I do need to put more time in reading about R3V...

as for my car, it is constantly being built and it will eventually turn into the project car, but i'm still daily driving it until i get another e30. i have plenty of parts installed: IE sways (front/rear) 25/22, IE 2.5 race springs, kyb gr-2, ESU strut bars (front and rear), 3.73 rear end, z3 1.9L short shifter, e30 M3 shift links, IE urethane motor mounts, IE urethane tranny mounts, 15x8 0 offset @ (4)-195/55/15 , R1Concepts front and rear dimpled/slotted brake rotors with quiet stop ceramic brake pads, k&n cone air intake, and I need to think about what else is in there 'cuz there's plenty more...

needs to be installed parts:
                            ESU shorty headers, urethane rear subframe bushings, urethane rear trail arm bushings, M3 control arm bushings, steel braided brake lines, 19-lbs injectors, M30 air flow meter, 153 chip, ESU muffler, ESU carbon fiber hood and trunk, and much more... stay tuned...

eta wagen

per my signature, SCCA, SOLO2, STS class ... it is also used for drifting and road racing at willow springs, CA or sometimes it's at El Toro, CA...
                            Last edited by Jeremiel5; 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X