The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so im thinking rebuild motor.

looking at the VAC entry level rebuilt head and $8-- gasket kit.
    new stock pistons/rings, bearings and chain guides.

going to leave the top end (cams etc) alone though. im thinking zero mile motor will be a lot more fun and economical.

Comment

couple new pics. found out the timing chain guide rails, at least the expensive ones didnt break. it was the pos cheap guide rail that is in pieces. little relief for me thats for sure. im trying to match up what i have vs. the parts i see on realoem that goes on the motor. should hopefully be ordering parts by late next week....hopefully.

Comment

today i removed the AC lines and pulled the condenser, compressor. i dont think ill ever need/use AC around here. if i need it im not driving fast enough :twisted:
        got a question, so its looking like the crank pulley was removed without the motor being at tdc. id like to verify how far off the cams (motor?) is off from tdc. heres a pic of the cams:

took this particular shot because i noticed the lobes are pointing straight up almost. i thought this was where the #1 lobes are supposed to be if its at true TDC?

how should i proceed here? im going to pop the seal out of the timing cover (the one around the crank) and reinstall the cover, reinstall the pulley to see if i can figure out where the pistons are in relation to the cam. but any other things i should be looking for/checking?

Comment

the cams are where they should be at if the motror is at TDC. stick a really long svrewdriver in the first cyl sparkplug hole and turn the crank so slightly and you will be able to tell where the piston is at.

Comment

wow, really? i thought the cams should point up on the first cylinder not the fourth?!

Comment

Great progress bro! I just replied to your PM.
              PNW Crew
              90 m3
              06 m5

Comment

got the cams out today. going to separate the cam box from the head to get the rest of the plastic bits out of the motor. ordering the new parts hopefully before the end of the week.

Comment

stacko retainers

lifters

cam box right before removal

valves. i found disintegrated guide rail and a valve cover nut in here. im so glad i took it apart.

i just completed my parts list, and it should be ordered monday. $1400 and not one performance part in the list, this is definitely a first time for me ha.

Comment

not sure if cock n balls can be considered a performance part but there will be plenty included
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

How did them tools work I gave you last night? Seems the 6 point worked well. :)
                      sigpic

Comment

I want to see some more rust!

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                          I want to see some more rust!
                          just hold your horses. wait till i peel off the bubbling paint from under the windshield!!

Comment

It'll prob look like this haha. Thats what mine looked like when I pulled my windshield for repair. notice the only rust visible with the windshield on was the part above the middle wiper arm.
                            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Gotta love rust

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

naw, mine is much worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X