Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project: "ZOMG that car is fast ??!!1tehONEONE" (56K welcome... HAHA! seriously GTFO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice intercooler :) I have the same one.

Looks good dude i cant wait to see it done!
    -Chris

Comment

UPDATE,
      So last weekend we put the engine in.
      The guys that sold me the M50 helped me put it in ...Well, actually, I helped them put it in.. They're the ones that knew exactly what they were doing, I'm still learning, but I was more than happy to be an extra set of hands haha.

So, we encountered several problems that will need to be addressed before the car can be driven...
      The Biggest problem being that I was putting a 6cyl engine into a 4cyl car!
      Now this was more of a problem than i thought...

1st off, The radiator is insufficient for the engine, OK, not so bad, saw that coming. So we tried to at least mount it for the mean time. But of course it doesn't fit anymore. So that has to wait, now I need to buy a 6cyl radiator, ...and new mounts.

The m40 gear box I was planning to bolt up to the M50 won't fit my big ass e46 330Ci clutch, so I need an e36 325i or 328i box.
      Because the 6cyl engine is alot longer, I will also need a 6cyl gear selector rod, and tail shaft as the 318i ones are too short. (I'm also planning an x5 short shifter)

The windscreen washer tank won't fit with the turbo. So I'm going to use one out of a VR/VS commodore, which will mount below the left headlights.

I need to buy a battery and relocate it to the boot.
      I also need to buy an air filter.

The high pressure PS hose wont fit the bolt that holds it in place, so I need to have a different fitting clamped on. No big deal
      I also need to merge a couple of hoses under th PS fluid tank, again no big deal

As you can see in the photos below, the intercooler piping was fabbed quite low, and because the inlet and outlets on my new IC are in the middle, it hangs about 3-4 inches below the valence. I'm going to have to sell the intercooler and buy one like this, and mount it upside down:
      A volvo lip should nicley cover any remaining under hang...

As opposed to my curren FMIC which has inlets as such:

On to the Pictures!
      (I'm sorry I didn't get much time to take many, We were doing this at Joey's mums house, the day before mothers day! So we had to finish it!)

Picking Up the car from storage down the coast.

First time towing a car

His mums front yard lol, my mum would be pissed, Half way through the day, It was like two cars and all there parts had exploded all over her nature strip haha.

Thats Anthony's car (m20 turbo), he was changing what he thought to be a gasket, but turned out to be a cracked head... ouch

Anthony's brother Joey's car. The cars are almost twins but this one had the M50 turbo :)
      They're dad has a stock e30 323i in the same blue as well!

Ready to go in:

In! Now the easy part ...not.

Here you can see how low the cooler hangs, I didn't get a pic (I will), but I made a neat mounting plate that will allow me to use the same bracket for a different FMIC.

I'll make sure I take some more (better) pics now that it's all back together.

Anyhow all in all I'm happy with the progress.

Another good note, I found somewhere I can not only keep the car, but work on it too!
      My Grandmas to old to drive and has recently sold her tank of a Merc. She heard about my situation with not having a home for the car right now, and without even asking her (or even thinking of it!) she offered me the use of her garage! What a legend!
      Its a two car enclosed shed, with double doors at the back that open up to another shed with space for e 3rd car!!
      Now, theres so much stuff in there, there is probably only room for one and a half cars, but who cares I'm STOKED!

Please do post any feedback you may have, I'd apreciate it.

Any ideas / hints / tips / whatever, post away, I'm all ears.

Thanks Guys!

R.H.D
      M-technic I club

Comment

Any of your questions about putting that motor in the car, check out the 24valve section on this site!!

Looks good so far dude and congrats on the new work space!!!!
        -Chris

Comment

Awesome! Where in Aus are you? I'm gonna guesss Melbourne (or at least VIC) from the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
            Any of your questions about putting that motor in the car, check out the 24valve section on this site!!

Looks good so far dude and congrats on the new work space!!!!
            Thanks mate! Yeh I'm really excited about the new garage!

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            Awesome! Where in Aus are you? I'm gonna guesss Melbourne (or at least VIC) from the looks of it.
            Yep I'm down in Melbourne, I take it you're familiar with the area?

R.H.D
            M-technic I club

Comment

Nice project

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
              X