91 318is M42 Full Maintenance Lots Of Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is M42 Full Maintenance Lots Of Pics

This Maintenance How-To is about a 1991 318is M42 5-speed.

In this How-To I will guide you through all of the maintenance I am doing to my 202k+ 91is.

I haven't driven my 91is for over a year because the right motor mount bracket had cracked and broken off of the front sub-frame. I have finally bought all of the parts and found some time to put her back on the road.

As I was replacing the front sub-frame I also replace the front crank seal, oil pan gaskets, fixed oil pan cracks, sand blasted the upper oil pan, cleaned everything, put a 89i steering rack with new tie rods, new belts, alternator bushings, alternator ground strap and soon to come I will be sealing up the transmission with new rear output-shaft seal, Selector rod seal, Guiebo Flex Disc and both mounts. Then I will sand blast the valve cover and replace the valve cover gaskets.

Parts List:

Front Subframe (Thanks to Wolfgangsnoopy @e30parts.com) $50 Shipped

89i Steering rack (off parts car) W/ New Tierods (whole parts car was $100 8))

(KOperformance.com)
    A/c belt $5.88
    Power Steering Belt $3.90
    Alternator Belt $4.58
    Alternator lower 2 Bushings $7.52
    Alternator Ground Strap $13.05 ( I had to drill out one of the holes because it was too small)
    Crankshaft Front Seal $13.45
    Lower Oil Pan Gasket $7.83
    Upper Oil pan Gasket $11.35
    Brake Pad Sensor $2.70
    Transmission Mounts $25.24
    Seal Output Shaft Manual Transmission $4.48
    Flex Disc for Driveshaft Guiebo $40.44
    Valve Cover Gasket Set $22.26
    Manual Transmission Selector Rod Seal $5.01

(turnermotorsport.com)
    All PBR Metal Master Brake Pads $96.42 Shipped

$50.00+ $167.79+ $96.42= $314.11

Then don't forget oil, filter, oil additive, break clean =$$$

Time= +15hr =$$$

Its not cheap but its more then worth it.

First, support the M42 from above with a suitable lift or support, if you plan on doing this with your vehicle on jack stands I would suggest placing some 2x4 under the jack stands to give the vehicle some extra ground clearance. (Dont continue until the vehicle and M42 are 100% stable)

Next, use a ball-joint separator to pop the tie-rods and ball-joints loose from the front strut assembly. (don't hit the threaded part of the tie-rods and ball-joints with a hammer if you plan on reusing them because you will mushroom the threads and will not be able to put the nut back on to tighten it down with out extra work. I would suggest replacing tie-rods and ball-joints)

Remove the lower control arm bushing brackets.

Remove the motor mount nuts and raise the M42 off of the front sub-frame.

Lock the steering wheel in the straight position then unbolt steering rack from steering column and sub-frame.

You must hold the nut on top to unbolt.

Remove all four front sub-frame bolts and lower the sub-frame, sway-bar, control arm assembly away from the steering rack and set aside.

This is the passenger side motor mount bracket that had cracked and eventually broken off of the sub-frame, the motor was resting on the steering rack because of this. This is a normal stress area for e30s and should be looked over closely.

Remove the power steering lines from the power steering rack and set aside, keep the copper washers to match up the new ones or reuse.

Drain oil.

Remove lower oil pan.

Remove power steering adjuster bracket.

Remove lower power steering pump bracket bolt and move pump aside.

Remove oil dipstick tube, oil pickup and upper oil pan bolts. (if you are missing pan bolts then replace with stronger bolts)

The last two bolts are accessible through these two holes in the bell housing, then the oil pan should fall right off with no prying, so be ready to catch it.

You can remove the fan shroud by pushing the little tab out and then pulling the clip out. The fan shroud will lift out by moving the fan out of the way.

Next, remove the A/C belt by loosening the small allenhead bolt and loosening the bolt under the plastic cover.

Once all belts are removed, remove the crank pulley bolts and gently pry the pulley off. (you may want to remove the CPS to prevent any accidental damage)

You can see my front crank seal was leaking.

Remove this little plug so you can hold the crank by putting a rod through it and in the flywheel key.

Use a breaker bar and even an extension to break the front crank bolt free.

Because of the limiting space I used a flat blade screw driver to pry out the seal instead of a seal puller. When using a screw driver be sure not to scratch the mating surface.

Now that have everything taken apart as far as I want to go, I will clean off all of the old oil and dirt. I first use carb cleaner and a parts cleaner brush to scrub the dirt loose, then I use break clean to spray all of the dirt away and leave a dry clean surface.

Now that everything is clean I installed the new front crank seal by using a socket near the same diameter and hitting the seal in evenly until it is perfectly flush with the housing.

The old seal left a grove which must be smoothed out with a wire wheel then coated in a lubricant to prevent the new seal from leaking.

I then torqued it to 250ft/lb.

Alternator bushing just fall out.

Sand blasted the upper oil pan after the parts washer. (always wear a clean air mask when sand blasting)

When replacing the sub-frame swap over the sway-bar and lower control arms. In my case I reused my Lower control arms and bushings because they only have 12000 miles on them. I also put the new tie-rods on the 89i steering rack, my old rack was bad.

Then put it all back together and go burn the tires off

Last edited by kenika65; 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

that's a lot of work you put in there!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Nice work! Mods should sticky this.

http://www.volkswagenjettacup.com/

Comment

Sweet. Were you able to get the crankshaft bolt with just the breaker bar? I plan on doing some maintenanc eon my 318 in a month.
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
          Sweet. Were you able to get the crankshaft bolt with just the breaker bar? I plan on doing some maintenanc eon my 318 in a month.
          Broke loose with ease, don't forget to put the rod in the flywheel key to hold the crank.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

bump I wrote the write-up!!!
            Last edited by kenika65; 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
              bump
              '89 325is S50 Track Montser
              '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Manual Transmission Selector Rod Seal $5.01

Did you get this installed? id like to read a write up on installing it.

Comment

Yes I will post pics soon.

Comment

TRANSMISSION:

First thing is first support the vehicle correctly and if you need more room then put jack stands on wood to make more room to work. Never attempt to work under a car that you can shake and it will move. Safety First.

Now, place an adjustable lifting tool under the transmission and lift up until the transmission bushing are slightly pulled, or in my case separated. Then unbolt exhaust hanger and set aside.

Unbolt both transmission mounts unbolt transmission cross member and remove.

Next unbolt drive shaft from guiebo, and leave one bolt to help remove bolts from transmission.

Some bolts may be real tight and in that case use vise grips to hold the nut so you can break the bolt loose.

Now remove the exhaust shield. ( I see I have an exhaust leak that need to be fixed)

Unbolt drive shaft center support bearing. (inspect and replace if needed)

You can now let your transmission down all the way and put the adjustable lifting tool under the exhaust to remove the exhaust hanger and then lower the exhaust.

Here are two picture of how to position the drive shaft so you can remove the guiebo and access the rear seal.

The transmission and exhaust had to be lowered to prevent removal of exhaust, which would have been dropped if I had the exhaust flange gasket that clearly needs to be replaced.

You now can remove the guiebo, mine was ready for a replacement.

You can see why the drive shaft wont come right off because of the output shafts length.

You can now easily remove the transmission mounts.

Its best to remove the output shaft nut with an impact so you don't have to hold the transmission to keep it from spinning. How ever you do it, you have to use a deep socket and if using hand tools make sure to have everything stable so that you don't rock or move the car off the vehicle supports.

Next use a puller to access the rear seal. Once the puller is adjust correctly it will come off easily and undamaged.

Remove selector rod clip by pulling straight back.

When removing selector rod make sure not to loose the thin yellow bushing, and replace if needed.

Next is the fun part, wedge two small flat blade screwdrivers one on each side of the holding clip and move back enough to access the keeper.

Using mechanics wire push the keeper out the bottom.

Then pull out with subtable pliers with out damaging keeper.

It should then come right off like this, note the holding clip is still attached to prevent having to reinstall.

Its now time to clean it with break clean!

After scrubbing with carburetor cleaner and spraying off with break clean.

You can pull the seal once again with a flat blade screw driver making sure to not scratch the mating surface.

Pull selector rod seal with a small flat blade screwdriver.

Install new selector rod seal using same diameter socket.

Installed.

Same with rear seal use same diameter socket to drive in new seal.

Its now time to polish the seal groove out to help prevent future leaks.

Selector rod pivot installed with retaining clip in correct spot to prevent keeper from falling out.

Now lube contact area to prevent a dry start and possible leak, then install and torque to spec.

Install selector rod making sure to install yellow busings and retaining clip.

Install guiebo with all bolts in correct holes before tightening to spec.

Then put it all back together, check fluid level and go slap shift till your arm gets tired.

Comment

Good work. I can never get both the yellow washers on...oh well.
                      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

You didn't replace the foam piece inside the selector rod pivot? That's what decreases all of the "sloppiness" in the shift linkage.
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

What foam piece?

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                            What foam piece?

In the selector rod pivot joint, there is a piece of really dense foam that disintegrates over time. You can buy it for like $0.20. It's what removes 90% of the "sloppiness" in your shift linkage. Check it out on realoem.com
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I am guessing you are talking about # 20 PLASTIC WASHER 1 25111434194 $0.56

My shifter has no play so...

Comment

Working...
                              X