Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An M30B35 Swap Story

....kind of.

As the project starts to make it's way to a close I decided to shoot some pics. It's been a long time coming and I have another build thread, but that's only motor related. It is finally coming together and I am soooo happy and relieved. This of course could never have been done without the help and knowledge of friend and mechanic peerless (Rob) at www.e30motorwerks.com. He has been more than helpful and willing to put his ass and time on the line for me. Much appreciation. Enough chat and more pics and specs.

Engine: M30B35 out of '91 735i
    Trans: Getrag 265
    Driveshaft: Shortened by 2 in and rebuilt 325es
    Mounts: Custom
    Radiator: e28 535
    Wiring Harness: 89 325i

The engine is completely stock and will stay that way until I finanically recover from this. The engine is fully rebuilt and reconditioned. Rods shot-peened, honed, decked, micro-polished crank, stock pistons, stock head, and cool paint. Here are the few pics that have been taken before and after the swap. I don't like to take pics during...my hands get dirty and that's that.

BEFORE:

Semi-During:

AFTER:

Everything is basically done, but I haven't taken updated photos. The car will hopefully fire up on Saturday and the driveshaft comes in next week hopefully. Enjoy!
    www.ryanwhopkins.com

cool valve cover! how did you paint that?

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
      cool valve cover! how did you paint that?
      I painted it with tape, spraypaint, and patience. There is a thread called "My Version of the Valve Cover" that documents some of the painting. Check it out
      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

k thanks. it looks so good

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
          k thanks. it looks so good
          Thanks man!
          www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Sweet, looks like you beat me. Take a video when you get it running!
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Well I also started last October...:)
              www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

i wondered what happened to my old car..:)

Comment

This thing isn't anywhere close to the car it was! It's in good hands, I promise.
                  www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

yeah at first i was worried because i saw that u might be painting it with a roller.. but now i see it still white and good :) will the new motor clear the skidplate ?

Comment

I'm hoping it will. It might need a little caressing but I think it will work.

Right now the oil pan is so low that it is kissing the subframe. Should be interesting. I might need some shims to get the engine a little higher. We'll see though.

Starting it up today! Hopefully I'll be able to take a video, depending on whether or not the camera feels like cooperating.
                      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Progress yesterday. Got her started up! Wow, it was loud.

Driveshaft comes in tomorrow. I have to figure out how to mount the power steering or even if I can mount it with the skid plate. I also have to get the damn shift plate which seems to be lost in lala land. It's all done and should be on the road by the weekend!

www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Good job dude! It's alright to take your time, mine took 6 months from yanking the M20 to driving out of the garage!

The sequel should be a lot quicker.
                          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Thanks man!

I forgot to add that we had a little problem with the alternator, as in it's shot. I plugged the battery back up and it was like arc welding. It scared the poop out of me. I wasn't expecting it.

So what I ended up doing was taking off the front plate of the m30 alternator and switching it with the m20 altenator for the use of the bracketry and now I have a working alternator. Weird way of making it work, but what the hell.
                            www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Awesome!
                              Now go take some videos.

I started in oct too .
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                              X