Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MY 1 yr old $800 90 is revamp...finally! (PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can anyone tell me how to get the crank and the head lined up properly?!?!?!? doing research now.....

Comment

There is a mark on the head and the cam sprocket you need to align, And then you partially reassemble the lower timing cover cause it has the mark on it. Then align the mark on the lower timing cover with the mark on the crank.

Comment

Thanks man!!!!

Comment

Np, And when I say "line it up with the mark on the crank" I am talking about the mark on the actual balancer, Not the pulley or actual crankshaft. Sorry if I confused you. You have to put the lower timing cover on and hold it with a finger tight bolt in the correct position, Then just stick the balancer back on to line it up, Should stay on without any of the 6 bolts, Or the actual crank pulley.

Comment

thanks, yeah i got a little confused but I have been sitting here reading my Bentley, you would think after owning 20+ cars in my life, not including race cars I would have this down to a science but I have found every car is different...in theory :)

Comment

Yeah the Bentley tells you how to do it to a T.

Comment

update

Did some cleaning today...cleaned the fawk out of everything, went through a gallon of simple green, and killed my knees and back bending over....here is a sample of how my cleaning went

Before

After

Then I put the engine back together to drop in tomorrow..cleaned engine too, i mean every square inch I cleaned

vs.

Can you tell a difference, after the cleaning?
                Last edited by Burnall4; 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

can anyone tell me the correct gear oil? Mine didn't have the sticker on the tranny, well it did but it was not legible and it washed away with the water...

Comment

Nice work. I am jealous of you clean engine bay. I wish I had a good excuse to pull my engine and clean it. Black in bronzit does look good...ask me how I know ;). Anyway, keep up the good work.

BTW, I think I found the a post with a pic of the previous owner in the car a few years ago over on tech.
                    http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64357
                    -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
                    Parts for Sale

Comment

Originally posted by digital_cowboy View Post
                      Nice work. I am jealous of you clean engine bay. I wish I had a good excuse to pull my engine and clean it. Black in bronzit does look good...ask me how I know ;). Anyway, keep up the good work.

BTW, I think I found the previous owner posting some pics a few years ago over on tech.
                      Hmm.

Very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by digital_cowboy View Post

BTW, I think I found the a post with a pic of the previous owner in the car a few years ago over on tech.

LOL, thanks a lot, :hitler:

anyone tell me the correect gear oil, i am a lil confused is it mt90?

Comment

don't know if this helps but here you go:

no this is not a rick roll its e30 3 series specs
                          86 528e b25
                          00 528i
                          95 525iT
                          88 325is m52
                          86 325es m50

Comment

really nice..a pressure washer would have helped out a lot on the steering rack area and stuff.

But my friend attacked his 240 the same way...simple green and a lot of elbow grease...turned out spotless...get a brush or two and get in there and just clean all the crap out of the nooks and crannies.

I wish I had a chance to go over my M20 engine and overhaul it....yours is lookin real clean. If I had the downtime, or a spare manifold and valvecover I would send them out to get powdercoated. My motor is already clean...the PO swapped the engine (had a rock knock) for this low mileage beaut and changed almost everything (didnt do the rear main..doh), so shes clean as it is. Would still like her to be cleaner tho.

Comment

damn thats a lot of good info, but i don't see the exact weight. However I am saving that page in my e30 file on my computer as we speak!!! thanks!

Damn and your first post, way to start off right!

Comment

Originally posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
                                really nice..a pressure washer would have helped out a lot on the steering rack area and stuff.

But my friend attacked his 240 the same way...simple green and a lot of elbow grease...turned out spotless...get a brush or two and get in there and just clean all the crap out of the nooks and crannies.

I wish I had a chance to go over my M20 engine and overhaul it....yours is lookin real clean. If I had the downtime, or a spare manifold and valvecover I would send them out to get powdercoated. My motor is already clean...the PO swapped the engine (had a rock knock) for this low mileage beaut and changed almost everything (didnt do the rear main..doh), so shes clean as it is. Would still like her to be cleaner tho.

yeah I am going to buy another block and start building a CLEAN motor, and replace this one when it kicks the bucket. But I am still in Grad school and then going to Law school so I am poor...its a slow process!

Comment

Working...
                                X