318ic restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318ic restore

project started out simple and due to the fact that i currently have almost zero cost of living, i said "fuck a budget let's go insane". mostly because when he got into the car he found it was direly in need of help. a lot of help.

rekeying locks was first, after we found out the car had been repo'd and they didn't match and the steering column had been screwdriver-raped

skipping some of the pics of tuneup crap and getting into the fun stuff

sedan trunk-lid because the the old one had been backed into, and that 3rd brakelight looks like a hemorrhoid anyway

TMS reinforcement kit welded onto trailing arms

med-case 4.10lsd with AKG bushing

subframe stripped and repainted, also w/ AKG bushings

trailing arms stripped and repainted, more AKG love

calipers and carriers rebuilt and painted

TMS swaybar reinforcement

rear subframe ready to go back in

starting to resemble a suspension again

weeeeeelllll, now i know how wide the flares would need to be. still haven't gone back to my notes and figured out where my offset math was wrong, but it was wronger than two boys fucking. scratch that idea for the moment.

calipers reassembled w/ porterfield R4S pads, and technafit stainless lines

rear brakes reassembled

just axles left to rebuild and install... gonna catch it for the tokico blues, i'm sure, but this isn't a track car and i have ridden in a street e30 with 17s and blues before and that is about the level of stiffness/NVH i'm going for. as far as durability goes, we'll see.

sitting on placeholder e30m3 wheels with oversized balloons on them while we wait for the new 17s.

more to come soon...

Robert ("peerless") is doing the work while i'm overseas. hasn't gone perfectly, i made some mistakes in parts choices, but that happens with a 7-day-a-week-12-hours-a-day work schedule i guess.

but, seeing it come together i'm happy with the progress so far.

bring the hate, r3v
    Last edited by decay; 01-18-2009, 03:58 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

The project is progressing nicely. Keep the pictures coming.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

get a ltw flywheel... makes an m42 come to life!

tokiko blues :-X
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

man you got the whole car rekeyed?

how much did that whole thing cost you if you dont mind me asking. All the key set. That would seem like it would be in the hundreds just for the key and lock set.

Comment

Very nice, MORE PICTURES!
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Julien: i'm still thinking about how i'm going to approach the engine/tranny setup. i picked up one of "good & tight"'s ceramic coated turbo manifolds because i had the chance to grab one of the last 3 he made at a steal of a price. i may chicken out of that and go with a 24v swap instead if i decide i don't want to worry about california smog gestapo.

other than that; focusing on the suspension for the moment, going to have that done before i progress any further. & WRT the tokicos- i guess i must have had different suspension experiences than a lot of people, because i beat on a set of blues on a previous VW for years and never had an issue with them, while a set of koni adjustables that i'd spent 2x the money on went out on me after less than half a year on another car. given that i liked how these felt in someone else's e30, i decided to see what i thought of them for the price... if i end up changing to something else a year or two down the road, at least everything else is already done.

thereisnoyun: i am already trying to forget how much i've spent on this car. "in the hundreds" sounds about right for the re-key. i can doublecheck w/ peerless if you want an exact figure.

ZM Blue Devil: thanks. you're looking at the car as it sits now... more pics will come as i have them.
            past:
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:

Comment

Good start. Not sure I understand the tokikos.

I want a very really badly though.
              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

The car is looking pretty good. You through me off with the 325 badge on the sedan trunk. Remember that the tokicos might have felt better in a different VW or even a another E30, but you might be forgetting that the vert is heavier. Feels different than other E30s.
                sigpic

Comment

haha yeah, gonna have to debadge that sooner or later. though if i go turbo it i suppose it could be honest within bmw's naming convention (3.3l "745i" turbo, etc). *grin*

we will see about the tokicos. i don't get back stateside till probably september... if they're blown by then i will stand by my word, come back here and say "ok you were all right" and get serious with something else.

Motorsports: is your car M20/M42/??? what's the weight distribution like? both previous e30s were coupes and i naturally haven't been able to spend a ton of time with this one. if it'll still wind up balanced with a twincam six up front i might lose some of my reservations there, seeing as the swap is a little easier starting with an M42 car.
                  past:
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:

Comment

that alright, I just figure it wasnt cheap. I am curious about the first pic.

I know there is

lock cylinder driver, lock cylinder passenger, trunk, glove box, and ignition. But on the top corner left, in the bag, what is the other thing?

Comment

Nice progress and awsome pictures, keep it up
                      1987 325is
                      1985 735i "frankie"
                      1996 Infinite Q45t

" I do appreciate you being here, you are usually so mired in sleaze, it must have been an effort to come down to the stuido" fox anchor on the simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                        that alright, I just figure it wasnt cheap. I am curious about the first pic.

I know there is

lock cylinder driver, lock cylinder passenger, trunk, glove box, and ignition. But on the top corner left, in the bag, what is the other thing?
                        Realoem says its a repair kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                          right, I saw that, I just dont know what its for and kind of curious. Since if he order all the new cylinder, where would you use the repair kit.

Comment

a few new pics:

had to order a new spare, naturally. this was the cheapest wheel/tire combo tirerack had. as i understand it the wheels going on the car still need to have tires mounted and balanced.

split in rear seat and broken tab on vert top flap... the little details on these projects are what drive you insane and empty your wallet. need to find a new DS taillight too.

this window had been broken into when we got the car.

overall this thing is looking much cleaner than the last time i saw it. Robert's attention to detail is impressive.

moar soon-
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

k, so that wasn't exactly "soon". what do you want, i'm on the other side of the fucking planet.

not seen: also aluminum pedals, e36m3 shifter assembly & rebuilt linkage/new bushings

robert's rebuild/paint job on E36 front calipers

replaced all seals on tranny

rebuilt driveshaft, new guibo

front suspension should be next.
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Working...
                              X