1983 Henna Red 323i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kdevitt View Post
    Basically when you're driving at night the mirror 'darkens' so headlights behind you don't dazzle you. It replaces the little lever you have at the bottom of your mirror to manually do it for you.

The little dot is the light sensor for the mirror.
    wow that's awesome!

Comment

updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
        updates?
        Not much in the way of updates I'm afraid!!

Heres the latest -

The car had a clean cloth interior, but I managed to pick up a very tidy sports leather a few weeks back for small money. There were no rips or tears, but the leather was cracking and in need of some work.

I bought a leather restoration kit from Dynamix Dyes (www.dynamixdyes.com) - they have a full selection of colours available, thankfully black is as straightforward as it gets. The kit arrived quickly - and contains a leather cleaner, a conditioner, the dye, an applicator sponge and a leather scented air freshener.

Heres a few pics of the seats before any work was done -

The interior needs to be cleaned thoroughly using the supplied cleaner, after which I gave it a wipe down with methylated spirits to remove any remnants of waxes or grease. I then gave the seats a sanding with 600 grit paper to remove major cracking. Probably could have done with sanding down a bit further, but I didn't fancy doing any significant damage.

I cut the supplied sponge into three sections and used it to apply very thin coats of the dye. Within about two coats the seats looked significantly better, the amount of dye supplied allowed me to do 6 coats on the full interior. I still need to apply the conditioner to the leather - the seats have to be left for two days before its done.

Heres the finished pictures -

Am delighted with the results - the interior looked worse to begin with than the pictures show, and it came up amazing. Its obviously not like a brand new interior - the cracking can still be seen, but its well worth spending the money on the kit if your interior is a bit tired looking.

I'm collecting an order on Saturday with all the trim pieces for the front and rear bumpers and a few other bits, hopefully the car is being collected afterwards for a full proper respray. Just can't get the finish the car deserves myself!

Not sure if I posted this before - but am also sorting out my brothers 1983 320i - so my time is taken up quite a bit at the moment!

Last edited by kdevitt; 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM.
        1990 Diamond Black E30 320i Touring
        1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

project thread for the 320i too!

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
            project thread for the 320i too!
            Added :D
            1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Well the car got collected today and taken away for its paint job. Its having a full glass out respray and getting new brake lines put in too - hopefully the new ones won't squirt brake fluid everywhere :D

Should have it back in 6 weeks or so!! They're taking their time with the prep work and doing it as a side job, which suits me fine - gives me longer to earn the money to pay for it! I think they'll be taking some progress shots, so I'll post them if I get any.
              1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

can't wait to see it done
                Continuous For Sale Thread
                323i s50

Comment

Nice! IT's going to look awesome I am so jealous of you guys with mtechnic I kits! :)
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Had to drop a few parts over today to the lads - work has begun anyway!

1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

A few more updates from the workshop

1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product
                        Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Comment

Glad this was caught at this stage - one of the bodyshops who quoted for the job said there was absolutely no need for the screens to come out!!

Last edited by kdevitt; 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM.
                          1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                            I liked the pin stripes. WHats up with the queer corners on your other car?
                            Those corner lights are factory... I'm more happy than anything that you're doing painted bumpers. Very happy.
                            - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                            Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

Originally posted by machined View Post
                              I'm more happy than anything that you're doing painted bumpers. Very happy.
                              Haha - yeah, once the tec 1 kit was going on, the painted bumpers was a given. The chrome bumper with tec 1 valances looks a bit off to me!!

I did the sanding myself on them, but am a bit concerned they may peel in future, so am looking at having them acid dipped to properly remove all the chrome. Am picking up all new window rubbers and trim tomorrow too - so its eventually coming together!

Will be over with the car tomorrow and will collect some more trim bits off the old bumpers - I know theres been a lot of interest in buying them, so I'll stick up another for sale advert when I have them. S
                              1994 Jet Black E36 320i

Comment

Wow. That cowl vent panel is in bad shape!

Awesome project!

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X