Bonsoir Zola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonsoir Zola

The time has come to try out something a little different, something that's not an e30 or a miata. Something with the motor in the BACK, something #radwood approved! Ladies and gents, meet Zola:

She was actually spotted on SF craigslist by my friend Chris. He's a fellow Abarth owner who, like any good samaritan, tries to get his friends to buy random project cars. He shot me the link late on night and I thought to myself, hmm I've always liked SW20s and this one is within budget and seems like a good deal. I ended up sending the owner an email and did not hear back for a few days. Out of the blue, on a Thursday afternoon, I get a text from the owner apologizing for the delay as all the craigslist replies went to his spam box. He also said that he was getting pummeled with offers and that he'd only entertain cash at or near full price. I thought about it for a full minute and told him full cash offer and that i'd get the car the following Saturday. The car was a 1991 MR2 NA with a Gen3 JDM 3sgte swap. Owner stated it started overheating on him and that while chasing that problem down the clutch went out.

Luckily for me, I have other very supportive friends who enable my (questionable) behavior. Such friend is Dmitriy, aka Kronus, he enables me a lot with his awesome van aptly named Groot:

(Chris in the background checking tire pressures on the trailer)

When you drive groot, you wear the funky hat. It's kind of a thing.

With all the excitement of buying my first SW20 and first Toyota I overlooked how far this car really was. Turns out it was deep Northern California, aka Kelseyville. The road there was absolutely epic, driving through Napa and beautiful villages like Calistoga, make you really fall in love with the area (side note, the fires are raging again, keep the affected families in your thoughts please help in anyway you can)

Once on site I met the owner, Kevin who had build the car. A very stand up guy who was sad to see his cherished ride go. We spent some time loading the car on the trailer, which was... fun:

Tied her down

And joined the owner with a goodbye beer before driving off back down to SF.

We arrived in the bay area a little after midnight and low and behold the car drove off the trailer! No more stuck clutch! WTF?!

I drove the car around the block and it was driving perfectly. Clutch engaging and disengaging as it should, turbo building boost nicely, did I just land the deal of a century? Hmmm nope. The next day it went back to not letting the clutch disengage :(

I purchased a master and slave clutch cylinder on Amazon as that would've been the easy fix. Sadly it made no discernible difference. I put a pry bar on the release lever of the clutch when my friend was pushing it to see if there was any travel left.. unfortunately, no. Time for the transmission to come out... womp womp woooooomp.

A couple days later I have a brand new LUK clutch, (4) quarts of transmission fluid and friends that are willing to help. Pulling the transmission out of a mid engine car, how hard can it be?

Here is my buddy Frank having his way with Zola's subframe. Frank owns three citroens. THREE CITROENS. The man has more patience than I will ever have.

When you're tall, you don't stand under a car that's on a lift... you sit:

And there you have it, an e153 LSD transmission out siting on the transmission jack in the foreground.

And the culprit! The little metal holder had broken off allowing the spring to jam itself between the clutch disk and the pressure plate. This made the clutch not disengage.

That night Dmitriy and I put the transmission back in and took the car out for a drive. WHAT A BLAST. The turbo noises behind your head are... intoxicating!

The next day I installed a different lip and went down to see my buddy Dirk, a huge Datsun aficionado.

Step one when you see Dirk with a new car is ask "Hey, wanna drive it" and, unless it's a Fiat 500 (lol) he replies YES with enthusiasm. His wife actually stole the keys first though! She took the car around the block and loved it. When she got back Dirk and I went for a lovely drive up the mountain roads of the peninsula. Up Skyline and down Pagemill.... until the car blew up - LOL

"Hey look Julien, a reliable Toyota"

What happened is that the car overheated and dumped all it's coolant out into the overflow tank. Or what I call "pulling a Subaru." We couldn't have broken down in a more picturesque place though!

Last edited by Julien; 10-28-2019, 10:01 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Did I mention pop up headlights?

A car (especially Turbocharged) that dumps all it's coolant out after driving hard can be one of three things:
    1. Bad radiator cap
    2. Coolant leak letting an air bubble in/badly bled coolant system
    3. Head Gasket.

Guess which was bad with Zola? I'll give you a hint...

Yep, R&R time! I first tried doing ARP head studs as sometimes (I said sometimes) this can help the head to not lift under boost but.. yeah no.

Here is the telltale:

Constant stream of coolant bubbles means the pressurized combustion chamber gas is making it's way into the cooling system. Once there it overpowers the spring on the radiator cap and bubbles out into the overflow tank. You can run a "block test" to confirm this, which sucks the fumes off the overflow and through a fluid. If the fluid changes colors, there are hydrocarbons in your coolant. Anyways...

Motor came out (again thanks Dmitriy), head off and time to fix some stuff.

Rage disassembled, to get the head to the machine shop that day.

and finally... a well deserved beer

Head back form the machine shop, passed pressure & vacuum test and it got resurfaced.

New OE Toyota MLS HG

I over ugga-dugga'd the tensioner bolt. DOH!

and Fixed (whew)

New timing belt, water pump, tensioners, oil seals etc etc

And that brings us to today. Motor is mostly together, waiting on some studs to come for the turbo, an oil seal for the distributor and a new shaft for the mechanical speed sensor. I've also taken the time to rebuild the CV axles, clean up the vacuum lines and clean the residual oil & grease off the motor.

I forgot to mention, Dirk got me the coolest tape (imported from spain!) ever for Zola

I named the MR2 Zola because I knew that in France they did not market the car as MR2 (because shitty name) but I couldn't remember what it was (I thought it was MRZ) but It did remind me of when I lived in Aix en Provence, 10+ years ago, on Boulevard Emile Zola.

Last edited by Julien; 10-28-2019, 10:03 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

You have the best posts. I immensely enjoyed reading through that this morning. Also, the "FEATURE" license plate on the VW Bug is hilarious.

Comment

Was that last pic taken when on your final drive when you sold it?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Harsh, yet fair.

Comment

nobody get attached, this build thread will be over in 3 months

glad to see it tho :)
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Legit! Miss tooling about on e30’s with you man. If you’re ever back in CLT or AVL let me know!
              173rd ABN

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                nobody get attached, this build thread will be over in 3 months

glad to see it tho :)
                It's too late, I'm already attached. This car is so awesome and I'm going to cry the day he sells it.

(I'm the one giggling like a schoolgirl after popping up my first ever pop up headlights)
                Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  hurtful, yet not entirely uncalled for :D
                  Build Threads:

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    hurtful, yet not entirely uncalled for :D
                    Honestly, I always think IÂ’m bad with swapping cars, but then you start a build thread on Monday and end a build thread by Friday and I feel like I could do better. IÂ’m in a weird space. In one week you manage to do more than I do in a year when I inevitably sell mine But this isnÂ’t about me. Carry on...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Always in for another Julien build. And the one after that. And the one after that. And the one after that...
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Just a quick update, I sold the car today :(

(edit) took out spaces, joke was working too well, people weren't scrolling down to see I was kidding (/edit)

Just kidding :-P
                        Last edited by Julien; 11-22-2019, 11:08 AM.
                        Build Threads:

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                          Just a quick update, I sold the car today :(
                          Got me Lol!

sigpic

Comment

Nice work - I've toyed with getting a SW20 and doing a 3.5L V6 swap on it. Would make a cut price Lotus Evora :)
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Time for an update!

First and foremost, I had to put some money back in the "car fun bank" so I did some work on a colleague's LS430 early on a Saturday morning. Front shocks, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links and shock mounts. Not too bad of a car to work on, drives very nicely too!

After that, back to Zola! Some head scratching lead me to figure out that the filings from drilling out the timing belt tensioner hole had actually ended up near the cams.

(ewwww)

This meant, take vc back off and do some vacuuming/cleaning up!

(eskimo wonder, in all his wonder)

While taking off the turbo manifold, both outer studs snapped with very little torque applied to them. My machine shop guy (Wes) told me this will happen when the manifold bows out. I stuck a straight edge to the manifold and low and behold, he was right!

Some dollars and time later:

I also took the turbo apart to clean the compressor housing. Looks like oil entering the turbo via the PCV system had caked itself all over the place :(

Link for gif -> https://imgur.com/TtcorXN
                              Cleaned all that up and checked the turbo for shaft play and other issues but it felt great.

Once that was done, it was time to tap the factory exhaust manifold for a wideband. The car had one previously installed in a china downpipe but because I <3 the environment, I put the factory emissions parts back on the car.
                              Pilot Hole

Step bit

hmm gif isn't working try this link: https://imgur.com/AUJnb4w

Bung

Weld

click that -> https://imgur.com/nJ1BTpp
                              (cue Benny Benassi satisfaction)

And all installed (can you spot the sensor? it's right below the big shiny grey cover)

I also took the time to fix one of the narrow band oxygen sensor's pin:

(I stole some fancy BMW tape from kronus, shhhh)

Another "while you're in there" problem I wanted to address was the non working speedo. Turns out this gear was cracked on the back side where it engages a little axle:

Aforementioned "little axle"

Rebuilt the inner CVs

Took a small break from Zola for halloween

a few days later i'm at the Balboa Cafe in SF drinking Gin & Tonics (sorry no pictures) then left me with Three things Saturday:
                              1. A hangover (again no pictures)
                              2. Ms Russia San Francisco Beauty Pageant tickets (yep, have pictures, for later though).
                              3. Nothing to do because a date I had planned go pushed back.

So what would any normal gearehead do? Rage assemble a car, of course! Jimmy had come by and we said what the heck, let's alteast put the drivetrain in.

We started at 3:30 PM, this was 5pm. See Bianca back there poking her head in?

Around 8PM I was almost done heh

Here she is minutes before the first crank attempt:

Funny enough, it barely fired but sprang a fuel leak and oil leak. I called it a night and went home.

Sunday morning I drove over to the shop, discovered the reason for the two issues (wrong crush washer used on the fuel filter and a "rolled" valve cover gasket). Both quick fixes. So I fired her up and gave her a bath:

Night time drive:

Took her to work in east bay:

Went on a date in Half Moon Bay with Zola. Girl called it an M3. I mean, yeah sure maybe. Her heart was in the right place, I think.

And that brings us up to date.

In the meantime I've scored some very chrome 300zx wheels, a replacement seat and some other goodies but all that will be for the next update. Cheers

Last edited by Julien; 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM.
                              Build Threads:

Comment

Working...
                              X