New auction project: ‘87 325iS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New auction project: ‘87 325iS

Hey all, Im back after a several year hiatus.

I got turned onto dealer auctions to start buying and flipping cars for some side income. Then I saw this thing and had to buy it even though its 1600 miles away..

Its coming from SF bay area, anyone recognize it? I won't take delivery for another week, and I'm chomping at the bit to find out more. I scoured the web looking for a thread on it or an instagram page but nothing.

It'll be my 6th e30 in the last 10 years and a twin to my first. Ive been out of the loop (and an e30) for a few years since I moved to Austin, TX and went back to school. There was no e30s planned for the next few years but I saw this and the bug bit hard and a lot of stuff fell into place for me to buy it.

I am assuming that it will need an oil pan, oil cooler, maybe rad, we well see. The listing guarantees that it runs and drives, not that that means much. the bid went to $2100. worst case I will end up buying an e46 m3 and swapping the s54 a little ahead of schedule :D

Click image for larger version  Name:	d1691fd1-e720-476c-88d1-d844da729c8e.JPG Views:	594 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	9882505
    Click image for larger version  Name:	686dacbe-e8e0-4806-af40-b8147bedb030.JPG Views:	539 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	9882506
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fc48391c-6745-4bc1-b59e-93f1afb33bec.JPG Views:	536 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	9882507
    Last edited by Conrad311; 02-06-2020, 06:48 PM.
    "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
    Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

doesnt look too bad for $2k
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If the truck isn't full of parts, I'll be disappointed.
      I do things.

Comment

Agreed. I’m hoping the rest of the parts are in the trunk. If not I’m not too upset. I’ve got bins upon bins of parts I’ve hoarded over the years. But it would be nice, I don’t think the bumper surrounds I have are all that great. Also they’re still in MA at my dads house. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Flying to California to trailer this thing home tonight, with luck we will be back home in Austin Saturday night.

in anticipation i rooted around in my bins of junk and was pleased to find a bunch of parts I thought were in MA.
          I am pleased my m-tech wheel is here! I’ve had it in all 5 of my previous e30s so the tradition can carry on!

a few other bits I had forgotten about may come in handy like the AKG poly CABs and CAs with new ball joints as well as my hoard of window switches.
          Last edited by Conrad311; 11-07-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

My buddy and I spent the last couple days trailering this thing back from San Fransisco. Thankfully it was smooth sailing the whole way, I only had to fill the trans before we hit the road. It runs great, topped off the oil and drove it up on the tow dolly. the only thing mechanically wrong is that there is a slight tear in the oil cooler and that it was pushed back against the condenser and the a/c fan, but nothing that effects function.

It was absolutly filthy when we picked it up at the copart yard.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	9884483

The animals at the yard taped and wired the valence to the fenders and scratched the crap out of them.
            Unfortunately the paint is not great. it looked alot better in the auction photos, but I think it will buff out to be presentable.

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9884484

Name:	IMG_1740.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	9884485

Originally posted by Melon View Post
            If the truck isn't full of parts, I'll be disappointed.
            the trunk didn't disappoint!

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	9884486

I'll need to hammer out or buy a new fascia pannel. realoem shows it available at $225 or somthing like that. Might be worth getting a new one.

It fired up first twist of the key and runs great. car fax listed a ton of work including t-belt last year. it also has a nice group of mods done.
            by the stance in the auction pics it was hoping for this but was not sure. Other mods not pictured include a nice set of speakers and head unit, i think its a garagistic front strut brace and MSD ignition controller and coil, ss brake hoses, and m3 offset CABs

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	9884487

more to come..

Last edited by Conrad311; 11-10-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	9884762

and a few shots after my wife and i spent the morning cleaning it.

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9884763

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	9884764
              I peeled the plastic dash cover off and its not as bad as others I've owned but they used silicone as adhesive for the cap, and it left slick patterns on the dash so the cap may go back on until I can afford to replace it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1766.jpg Views:	48 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	9884497

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	9884765

The downsides are that there is no hardware for the bumpers, grilles or anything. I have to figure out what I need and order it all. Also needs a set of tires.
              I'm still waiting for the title to be sent from the broker I used, It should be here this week sometime..

more progress to come this week.

Last edited by Conrad311; 11-11-2019, 05:11 PM. Reason: fix pix

Comment

I have the same swaybars, with reinforcement. Looks like H&R bars, with H&R Race springs.

Not bad at all, way way cleaner than mine was, for about 1/2 the price.
                I do things.

Comment

Looks like you just need to go euro bumpers then.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Rock that cowcatcher! you can get repro brackets for it, hopefully the long bar is there...

also some of your pics arent working
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

For sure keeping it stock! I love it! Euros are sweet and I’d swap if it wasn’t an is. But call me crazy, I dig the diving boards most days. The parts are all there, just no screws bolts or clips. Need to spend some time figuring out what I need. Also some of the brackets are busted so I’ll have to epoxy then together or fab up some new ones from aluminum bar stock I have kicking around. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

PM your phone number and I can text you dimensions. Mines sitting in the garage waiting for the cowcatcher to get painted
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Well I drove to San Antonio to pull a few parts off a car down there, got an oil cooler, pulled the long hoses with it and when I took the lines off to flush it, the threads pulled right off the drivers side fitting, so it’s useless. Lol that’s what I get for being cheap. Ordered a new one, and some aluminum brazing rods to fix this one so I can resell it. Just got the title today so I can get the process started to get this thing on the road. Trying to decide on tires in 205/55r15, may go with some Nankang junk to get it rolling. $350 installed. I’ll probably be selling these Bayern’s and try to find some gold euro weaves like I had on my first car. Nostalgia and all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you scored! Nice pick up
                            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Slow progress this week, went to the renaissance fair last weekend down near Houston with my wife and our friends, and must have caught the bubonic f-ing plague because I’ve been wrecked all week.

I did manage to get the stereo working, needs new speakers in the premium boxes though.

Got my new OEM oil cooler and installed it, I’ve been ripping it around giving it a few shake-down runs, and maybe a few donuts before I slap some new rubbers on

Tomorrow I will start welding up some new aluminum brackets for the cowcatcher. I’d love to get some of the 3D printed ones around here and be done but I have the stuff to make it and I like a challenge.

The only notable concerns are the RSMs. They’’re clunking like a bastard. I’’m really torn on what to get. I’’m weighing the ride comfort/ low cost of OE style against the maybe harsher ride/higher cost of something like the AKG poly mounts. What do you guys think on that? Does the added chassis stress of the rigid poly become a concern for the tower if a slip over reinforcement is used?

What do you guys use with bilsteins/ sport springs and are you happy?

This is a daily driver so I want it to be quiet and not getting a ton of road noise coming through the body. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X