Kidney Grills Gone Wild, M42 to M54 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidney Grills Gone Wild, M42 to M54 swap

I've been on the forum too long to not have a build thread. The old M42 finally developed rod knock after lots of abuse and high mileage. I have been building up for a M54 swap for over a year now since I pulled a M54 from the yard.

First is a few pictures of the car and what I've done so far on the swap and I will update the thread with more pictures as they happen. This is my first swap so I am learning a lot and taking things slow as well as fixing a lot of issues in the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	I9goIq2.jpg Views:	336 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	9934346
    Shortly before the M42's demise

Click image for larger version  Name:	TZZ6VGq.jpg Views:	298 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	9934347
    M54 from a E39 330i

Sold the M20 form this 325is and I'm using the, gearbox, driveshaft, and diff for the M54 swap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XqKmud7.jpg Views:	300 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	9934349

Beat up M42

Click image for larger version  Name:	FWcBUq8.jpg Views:	299 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	9934350

Cleaned up pretty well, I'm shaving some brackets and partly repainting the engine bay.
    Last edited by Motheye99; 03-27-2021, 10:38 PM.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

saved for future
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

X2
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

I lose sleep over this nightmare, I found this nest of wires and a old school anti theft under the dash. Makes me cringe so hard knowing this was below my feet for years and I had no idea. I Started to remove it but any tips would be greatly appreciated. This bundle of shit is half aftermarket audio cables and half anti theft all using different types of wires. Whoever put this in...

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBNuQAd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	9934355

How I found it

Click image for larger version  Name:	YEKPhKu.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	9934354
        The wiring is actually insane there's switches, housing wire connectors, and copper audio cables used as wires connecting grounds etc......
        91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Ugh.
          My aftermarket alarm removal was tame compared to that insane installation.

Only tip is to untangle unpick and see where the shitty installation connects to and reverse out.
          Depending on the ant-theft, if you simply hack off the wires there may be open circuits that cause other issues.
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4AcbL1t.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	9934712

Thanks to Blunt I'm saving alot of time and effort using a OEM euro pick up tube that allows the M54 to use the E34 front sump oil pan.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Download a tagged pdf of the Electronic Technical Manual for your year of e30. It is by far the most informative documentation you'll need for any wire harness concerns. It tells you the shape of the connections, where they are in the car, the each color wire, what it's for, where it connects, etc. VERY helpful.
              Paynemw
              1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
              the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
              1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

update

Cleaned and rebuilt my CV's with new boots. I need to get the right sized clamps to replace the Zip ties.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nsdOLsU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	9937854

I don't have the tool and the strut nuts where pretty seized up so I had to improvise.

Name:	6AcTV27.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	9937860

The old bearings broke partially when I knocked the hubs out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	L9pv6Dw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	9937856

Test fitting the oil pick up and the E34 oil pan. I need to cut a piece of the windage tray, for the pan to fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7HMbK7G.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	9937858

Click image for larger version  Name:	s0dM6Wc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	9937857
                91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

That strut cartridge tool is brilliant.

I'm looking forward to your build, the M54 is a great engine.

MJ

Comment

Excellent start. Good for you for just diving in!

I had a similar bundle of wires zip tied underneath the steering. Unravel it all and it’s likely tapped into the stock wiring in a few places and shouldn’t be too bad to actually remove cleanly. The stereo might be irreversible though and you’ll just have to make the best of it.

I’d definitely get a skid plate to protect that E34 oil pan, but having driven a M54 E30, you’ll love it.

Keep it up!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

was the pickup fabbed? or is it from another engine/chassis?

I'm swapping an m54 in my e30 and using the e34 oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by TBucket30 View Post
                        was the pickup fabbed? or is it from another engine/chassis?

I'm swapping an m54 in my e30 and using the e34 oil pan.
                        e38 728i oil pickup from Europe i contacted bunt tech and had them order me a new one.

this is where i got my info for it from.

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I don't think it's very common knowledge still that a custom oil pickup tube is not necessary for the M52TU and M54 because the E38 728i parts can be used. The oil pan is part number 11131710319. The pickup tube for engines made beginning January 2000 is part number 11417503261. The pickup tube for engines made before January 2000 is part number 11411432735. (They are not interchangeable without modification due to different oil pump & deflector designs.) For January 2000 and newer engines the oil deflector (or windage tray) is also required unless you want to modify your existing one like jjt did. It's part number 11137502669.
                        91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Some interesting M54 developments. I have been thinking of printing my own ITB adapters, these guys beat me too it. This adapter is for a N54 intake manifold but they are making ones for S54 Itbs as well as others.

Last edited by Motheye99; 03-27-2021, 10:39 PM.
                          91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Same company with a S54 ITBS adapted to M54 using a 3d printed adapter

Name:	3d printed S54 to M54 itb adpter.png
Views:	466
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	9951593
                            91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

Working...