Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D printed center caps

Hi E30 people,

This project isn't as grand as most on this section, but for me was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about 3D printing.
    Several years ago I bought a set of ESM wheels. They're Borbet Type A reps in 16" x 7.5".
    I didn't have the funds to spring for real Borbet Type A (still don't! story of my life!), but these have done fine for me since I got them.
    The center caps though. I didn't like them. I wanted flat caps. ESM didn't sell flat caps for the 16" wheel, and authentic Borbet flat caps didn't fit.

Here's what they looked like right after I installed them:

Late 2019 I bought a 3D printer thinking I could make some money with it (I've had some success with a couple of designs), and of course make some fun stuff too.

Initially I made a set out of PLA. They looked great, but after the car sat in the sun for a day they warped badly.
    PLA material has a 'glass transition' point of 130 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. That's when the material starts to melt. Sitting in a parking lot by the Van Nuys airport must hit that mark, or come close to it.

This is the PLA version (pre-warping):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-02-24_07-54-37.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	9936750

I had second thoughts about using the word Borbet on reproduction wheels, so the next version out of ABS doesn't have any letters.
    ABS has a glass transition point of about 220 to 230deg Fahrenheit, so there shouldn't be any future problems with warping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-07-05_13-03-58.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	9936751

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-07-05_13-03-41.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	9936752

The paint is from a rattle can and not a spot-on match. There are many things about the car that aren't perfect, so this is fine for me for now.

If/when I make another set I'm thinking I may use the german word for cruiser: "Kreuzer" if my google-fu is correct, or maybe the Grateful Dead dancing bears in a circle. That's the thing about 3D printing: your options are almost limitless.

Thanks for reading.

-Mayhem

Last edited by MoreMayhem; 07-05-2020, 11:40 PM.

try PETG it will print better than ABS and wont melt, one issue is you cant glue to it easily.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Working...
    X