No announcement yet.

My First Project: an '86 Arktisblau Metallic 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great series of posts. That Prelude is something I have not seen running around the Midwest for quite some time. Should be a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
      Great series of posts. That Prelude is something I have not seen running around the Midwest for quite some time. Should be a fun project.
      Thank you, I haven't even seen a 2nd gen around here before actually. Really excited to work on it and learn about carbs and FWD cars.

Speaking of that, it's now in my driveway! I rushed up to Fallbrook after school and got there to help load the car. I'd like to say that everything went smooth, but the hook on the winch literally slipped off the car while it was on the bed and I was inside it. It was absolutely terrifying because only the parking brake works in that car. I ended up just pulling it once I processed that I had rolled off the bed. Other than that though it went smooth! Gonna order parts tonight and get to more diagnosing tomorrow.

New Owner

New Home

Comment

Nice!
        sigpic84 325e

Comment

It's been a while! I got really busy with the college admissions process, finals, and AP tests so I had to back off of the car stuff for a good bit. I got back into it a bit over a month ago though and I've been plugging along at restoring the prelude mechanically. I currently have the short block assembled, head rebuilt, carbs rebuilt, and most of the suspension stuff done. I plan to finish assembling the engine this weekend and then I need to go through an ungodly list of other stuff before putting it back in. It's been fun rebuilding my first engine though.

In terms of e30 stuff, it's treated me well as a daily and the only two things that have happened have been my driver-side interior door handle breaking and a small crack on my oil pan from speeding over a dip in Oceanside. I JB welded it though and it's held up just fine. I need to install the new door handle soon.

I also bought a m20b25 from a local guy with the intention of swapping it into my e30 before going to college. He bought a rebuilt engine but only used the head for his own car after his timing belt snapped because he didn't have a hoist. So I have a rebuilt block with a trashed head. I thought I'd be able to get away with rebuilding the head for cheap. but every valve is bent and all of the guides are absolutely trashed, so this b25 won't be going into my car unless I can get a used head for cheap. For now I plan to sell the engine and all of the stuff it came with because I simply can't afford to rebuild the head.

In addition to the car stuff going good, the college admissions process also went really good! I guess that they really liked my essays about working on the e30 and reselling shoes. I applied as a mechanical engineering major and I was accepted to UCSD with the Regents Scholarship to make it a full ride, UC Berkeley, WashU in St. Louis with them paying me $1,500 a year, Harvey Mudd, Vanderbilt, and Carnegie Mellon. I even got my trips to WashU and CMU paid for by the universities to check the campuses out! I ended up narrowing down my list to make a final decision between Berkeley and CMU, but after visiting Berkeley I just did not like the people there or the surrounding area, so I'll be attending CMU. I loved everything about the school and the fact that it's a private with smaller class sizes really appealed to me. Plus I'll be debt free with the offer they gave me. :D

My move in-date is August 20th, so I only have a month left in SD. I'm planning to just finish up the prelude before I go and leave both Blu and the prelude here while I attend college. The m50 swap is on the back burner until I can afford to rebuild it properly. I'll be spending my last month here enjoying Blu with her b27 and hopefully getting to beat on the prelude. I'll post photos if I can find the time to, everything's a time-crunch with a month left here.

Comment

Working...
          X