Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what TV shows have you been watching lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what TV shows have you been watching lately?

i like to bingewatch on the 2nd big screen while i write code on the little one on the macbook.

my recent recommend: Bloodline on netflix. only 3 seasons, but a well-written story about how an empire falls. if you're from FL, you'll know the setting- i'm not, but my grandfather retired in pensacola after he ETS'd as a navy officer so i visited a couple times. takes a little while to pick up steam and gets real intense at the end.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Yellowstone, The Expanse, Humans, Altered Carbon, Westworld, and Hell On Wheels are some good ones off the top of my head.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

we've been talking books; reading the Altered Carbon trilogy 10 years ago ruined the netflix series for me because the second book was my favorite and they pretty much threw it on the editing room floor. i was mad.

The Expanse: Beltalowda. but it's probably no surprise to anyone here that i enjoyed watching earth imperialists and mars colonialists in conflict while a bunch of anarchists save the human race. you just made me rewatch Drummer's speech. (spoiler alert.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1nnsueRTo that's fucking leadership right there. Cara Gee came up as a shakespearean theatre actor and it definitely shows in how she played the role.
      past:
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:

Comment

Yeah, I was pretty bummed about The Expanse getting cancelled - but at was a blessing in disguise anyways. When Amazon picked it up, I gasped at Shohreh Aghdashloo (Crisjen) was dropping f-bombs in the opening scenes of the new platform.

Sounds like you've already been binge watching lol.

Try Hell on Wheels. Takes an episode or 2 for the character curve, then it will suck you in.

Most of the stuff today is junk IMO. I tend to lean towards instructional and history/science documentaries lately, but new content is lacking on them too.

Gonna check out Bloodline, though, came to FL in 1989, boy was it a different place. When I started masonry work, we would drive from Bradenton 45min due east to the "middle of nowhere" state road 70 where there was a little sub-development starting. Schroder Manatee sold tens of thousands of acres to developers. My crew alone was building 1-2 home shells a week for years, and there were crews working both sides of every street. Now that old commute is developed and is an independent city (Lakewood Ranch).
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Taskmaster UK is good for a laugh, and their Norwegian spinoff is also not bad. Both are available on YT.

Can concur with the Expanse and HoW being good. Star Trek Strange New Worlds is also pretty decent, especially after the absolute shitshow that is Discovery, and the eye roll inducer 1000 that is Picard.

Comment

i think i watched through the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels when it was new, but that was a while ago. might have to put that back in the runbook and finish it. call me a critic, but Common is a much better actor than he is a rapper. everyone finds their lane, right?

i am on a major binge right now; i'm between tech contracts and picked up this year's flu and it's kicking my ass (immunocompromised because i've had covid and pneumonia 2x each) so i'm stuck at home because i'm not giving this shit to anyone else.

the last good star trek was TNG- every episode came with moral guidance- and i'll fucking die on that hill. gene roddenberry was a creative genius and the series should have passed along with him.

my last binge: The Shield from back in the day on FX. about the Rampart gang-enforcement task force LAPD ran back in the 90s. Dutch maybe overacts a little.

my current binge: The Rain on netflix. Dutch show so it's dubbed and you should turn subtitles on. about a bunch of teenage kids who survived a viral apocalypse, so... feels kinda relevant after these past couple years.
            past:
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
              the last good star trek was TNG- every episode came with moral guidance- and i'll fucking die on that hill. gene roddenberry was a creative genius and the series should have passed along with him.
              Did you miss DS9 and Voyager or something, they were just moralistic tales jammed in to a more modern context. It wasn't until Enterprise that the old ways passed on and were replaced by a US versus the world/terrorism/allying with bad guys for a good reason narrative.

SNW is just a good update of TOS, with a more realistic, yet softer edge and not too many stupid moments so far. Anyway, nothing has yet compared to DS9 in my book, internal conflict, multi-state cooperation chaos, managing a trade hub, simply letting people die in a war without it being an overblown thing, and a good array of enjoyable non-Starfleet characters.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Did you miss DS9 and Voyager or something, they were just moralistic tales jammed in to a more modern context. It wasn't until Enterprise that the old ways passed on and were replaced by a US versus the world/terrorism/allying with bad guys for a good reason narrative.

SNW is just a good update of TOS, with a more realistic, yet softer edge and not too many stupid moments so far. Anyway, nothing has yet compared to DS9 in my book, internal conflict, multi-state cooperation chaos, managing a trade hub, simply letting people die in a war without it being an overblown thing, and a good array of enjoyable non-Starfleet characters.
                like i said mahdood, DS9 immediately after TNG is just where it stopped resonating for me. i won't hate on anyone who continued to enjoy the franchise any more than i will anyone who still likes star wars after it got sold to disney. call me a cranky old sci-fi fart as you will. :)

past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

like i said mahdood, DS9 immediately after TNG is just where it stopped resonating for me. i won't hate on anyone who continued to enjoy the franchise any more than i will anyone who still likes star wars after it got sold to disney. call me a cranky old sci-fi fart as you will. :)
                  Same. I did watch reruns of Voyager circa 99-2000-ish as I fell asleep at night, though. You know before streaming, DV-R etc.

So, have you started Hell on Wheels yet? :P

Another thing I use for background noise is classic MMA/UFC fights. I remember going to Blockbuster and renting the tapes lol.

This one NEVER gets old.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le69DBh7YwY
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

NFWS funny commentary ("Can someone pick up my eyeballs?".....

Here's me commentary for PRIDE FC 21 MMA fight between Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama. Manliest fight ever. Twitter,. Here's my review of the funniest Muay T...
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      NFWS funny commentary ("Can someone pick up my eyeballs?".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6KtDpoNtmA
                      freddie mercury FTW
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

Burt Reynolds on roids. Maybe a hint of Tom Selleck.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Thanks for sharing this thread here. I'm a big fan of watching CID.

Comment

i don't know who else still likes watching cartoons, but my inner child does.

especially if they involve violence, and a lot of it.

i was idly scanning channels, passed adult swim on cartoon network, and discovered that S2 of Primal has been released.

premise: fictional prehistoric, because humans and dinosaurs never coexisted, but go with it.

it's "a man and his dog" except the dog is a t-rex. there is literally no dialogue, so it really engages you to watch because the communication all happens via emote on-screen.

recommended. i'm gonna spend a few hours binging S2 as soon as i finish torrenting it.
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

Originally posted by AnneHines View Post
                              Thanks for sharing this thread here. I'm a big fan of watching CID.
                              oh, i didn't know they did one of those military procedural dramas for the Army too (that was my branch, i only watched NCIS for the hot goth chick who looked like she just fell out of one of the clubs i used to DJ).
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Working...
                              X