Haggling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haggling...

WTF ever happened to this? When did standard procedure for buying something from someone turn into this:

"I HAVE AN ITEM FOR SALE, $XXXX AMOUNT OF DOLLARS"

"WHAT'S THE LOWEST PRICE YOU'RE WILLING TO GO?"

Seriously, am I missing something here? How fucking hard is it to shoot me a price and see what I say? You see what I want, what makes you think I'm just going to give you it for the lowest price. Happened with BOTH of the cars I sold earlier this year, and the same thing is happening with the shit I have on craigslist.

Are people just lazy as hell or what?
    "Our mother of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."

Yes
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I feel your pain. I blame it on lazy shitheads. I'm going to start a new trend, im going to list everything for $1 and let the bidding begin, highest bidder get it. lol

....wait by new trend i mean ebay
      Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

See my sig, please.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hey I did that when I bought my car and the seller dropped the price by almost 500 bucks. It's just business.

Comment

But to sellers money talks
            when i bought my car on CL i sent the seller a semi formal email asking for more info on the car and stuff, did not get a reply
            then i sent another one that said
            " I want to buy your car
            i got cash in hand
            heres my number hit me up"
            and i got a call within an hour

89 325i S50/ZF E36 M3/TI 5lug Style 32s

My feedback Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=219113

Comment

I've found I have to state it clearly in my original ad/post that Iam or am not willing to accept offers.

When it's the roof rack I had to buy because I couldn't borrow one and all I wanted was my money back, the price was firm.

When it's the wheels and tires I'm never going to use again and I want to get rid of, I'm negotiable... to a point.

With anything I'm flexible with selling I try to check the market for what a fair price ought to be. I'm not perfect though an I may miss a much better deal than I'm offering; I am trying to sell after all. Show me where I'm asking too much by pointing at another seller or another deal for the same thing and let me know my price is too high. Otherwise, treat me with some respect when you angle for a discount. Immediately lowballing me for half what I'm asking is not the way to do it.

Lately though, eBay seems the way to go. Put stuff up there for the minimum that I'll accept and any bidding that goes on is just gravy. I do wish there were more eBay sellers than eBay stores though. I miss the 'yard sale' climate it used to have.
              - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

If someone says they are not going to accept offers, I *may* ask them after seeing the item (I guess I'm thinking about cars here) after showing genuine interest in it. But more often that not I would just pay full price anyways, doesn't hurt to ask sometimes, I got almost $1k off my m3 just by asking.

Anyways, it should be expected in private sale that people will try to talk you down in price. I always price my cars higher just for this reason haha, I know no one is just going to hand me the cash I want.

But just asking "how low will you go" is stupid, at least make a fucking effort to negotiate.

BTW, the volvo I got was listed for $925 and I got it for $850 lol
                Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

I'm not sure why I keep doing this.

Comment

Shit pisses me off too, at least TRY and haggle.

Or you are asking 200 bucks, and you get an offer for 40 shipped....I mean...low balling is low balling...but FUCK, this is equally annoying.
                    1990 Mazda Miata
                    2002 WRX 3.0T
                    1987 325 24v

Comment

Originally posted by thepotsy View Post
                      wtf ever happened to this? When did standard procedure for buying something from someone turn into this:

"i have an item for sale, $xxxx amount of dollars"

"what's the lowest price you're willing to go?"
                      whats the most ur willing to pay add $100

Comment

I've found that listing things at double what you want works as well. Youre going to get lowballed for 50% of your asking price, so why not just start at 200% and end up where you want. Its worked on a number of things ive sold.
                        Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

i too, find that youre just gonna get lowballed all the time for shit, i thought it was custom to mark it up 10-20% higher, and the fuckers start offering below asking anyway so you kinda get what you were looking for.

example, i was selling my e30 sports seats for three hundred, immediately emails came in with offers of 150 200 250 275 100 etc etc. i was expecting to get 250 out of them, but i jumped on the 275.

you rarely get asking price.
                          1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                          1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                          1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                          1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                          1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                          I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Oddly enough, I never get lowballed. No one even asks for discounts, but maybe because I am not selling some fucking part; I am selling something I build. People know this and respect that, even if they are fucking retarded.

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

yeah, youre definitely not in denver. fucking denver.craigslist.org is so painful sometimes.
                              1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                              1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                              1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                              1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                              1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                              I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Working...
                              X