Calling PC gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling PC gurus

I have an older Laptop (5 years) and want to connect it to my TV (new) to watch movies off of Netflix. What kind of cables do I need?

Thanks.

somehting like this should do the trick
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882339047
    Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Need some info first. Does your laptop have any sort of output? Composite, S-video, VGA? Secondly, what inputs does the TV have? The easiest would be a VGA -> VGA connection but that's assuming you have a newish plasma / LCD TV.
      $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

I have Dell D600

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

and the TV has a HDMI inout

would this cable work?

Comment

Yes, that cable will work. VGA might be cheaper, if your TV has the input.

Just don't expect much.

A 400Mhz processor on a XGA video signal (with 32MB SDRAM on it) is gonna kinda suck.

Should be WAY better than SVideo though...

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

yeah that cable should work.

Comment

thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Yes, that cable will work. VGA might be cheaper, if your TV has the input.

Just don't expect much.

A 400Mhz processor on a XGA video signal (with 32MB SDRAM on it) is gonna kinda suck.

Should be WAY better than SVideo though...
                Luke, it's a 1.8Ghz. 400Mhz is the FSB.

You might be able to play high def videos, but they may not render fast enough.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you will want a 1/8" stereo to stereo RCA's cable for audio unless you want to listen to it through the laptop. A cable like this:

Comment

I picked up everything off of Ebay for around 6 bux. The @sshole at Radio Shack wanted to sell me a Laptop with a HDMI output instead.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                    Luke, it's a 1.8Ghz. 400Mhz is the FSB.
                    Duh. Good catch, Andrew.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Replace the old laptop with this little guy instead http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

Plays full 1080p from external hdd or even usb thumb drive smoothly! Plus many other video/audio formats.

/end thread.
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

that laptop won't be able to play 1080p videos, but it should do 720p just fine.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ACMF74 View Post
                          I picked up everything off of Ebay for around 6 bux. The @sshole at Radio Shack wanted to sell me a Laptop with a HDMI output instead.
                          lol welcome to radio shack. home of "buy a cell phone or die"

Comment

The people at Radio Shack down the street don't even talk to me anymore, As they know I don't want to be sold anything but what I came for.

Comment

not to mention the insane mark up on the electronics....

Comment

Working...
                              X