Radar Detectors in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar Detectors in Europe

So I'm leaving in a few hours to Italy. I'm renting a car when I arrive there and I was planning on taking my Valentine1 Radar detector. I decided to check on the laws for possession and use of radar detectors in Various Countries in Europe.

Heres what I found:

Possession and use of radar detectors in Europe

The possession and use of radar detectors is legal in the following European countries:

Italy

Bulgaria

Norway

Romania

Albania.

The possession of a radar detector is perfectly legal in the following European countries, but use of one is banned:

Spain

Germany

Denmark

The Netherlands

Latvia

Lithuania.

The possession and use of radar detectors is prohibited in the following European countries:

Belgium

France:hitler:

Switzerland

Austria

Luxembourg

Sweden

Turkey

Hungary

Slovakia

The kicker is I have a 5 hour layover in Paris, where possession of a radar detector is illegal. What do you guys think about traveling with this in my checked baggage? Will customs search my checked luggage and confiscate the v1, or do you think they'll just pass it on through to my connecting flight to Bologna?

Anyone have experience with this?
    tasty

Obviously it's a risk you take, but I really don't believe they'll confiscate it from a checked luggage bag, especially if you're not staying in the country.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
    And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

+1
      '89 325i track sloot
      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
        Obviously it's a risk you take, but I really don't believe they'll confiscate it from a checked luggage bag, especially if you're not staying in the country.
        I could be wrong, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
        That's what I was thinking. Fuck, that would really suck balls to get this shit taken away though... Do I really need a v1 for a Fiat 500?
        tasty

Comment

Ok nevermind, I'm over it:

"Being caught with a radar detector, even in your luggage is a serious offense and will result in the device being confiscated and a fine of at least €2000"

==Road types== thumb|300px|Autoroute A10 Roads range from the narrow single-lane roads in the countryside to major highways.

3000$ Fine for this shit! And you know the French would love to bust an American's balls right about now.
          tasty

Comment

I brought my V1 when I did Euro Delivery...but found that I saw almost no roadside cops with radar or laser and only really saw speed cameras. I don't recall if they give off a signal or not, but usually would just slow down to the posted speed limit.
            - Frank
            '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
            http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
            Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Originally posted by achtunge30 View Post
              I brought my V1 when I did Euro Delivery...but found that I saw almost no roadside cops with radar or laser and only really saw speed cameras. I don't recall if they give off a signal or not, but usually would just slow down to the posted speed limit.
              Did you take it on a plane with you in a country that prohibits the possession of one? I know you're allowed to have one in Germany.
              tasty

Comment

Not worth the risk for many reasons:
                1. speed cameras are a bigger threat than speed traps anyway;
                2. many of the places you mentioned don't really care if you speed anyway...especially Italy;
                3. the risk of getting caught with a detector is high;
                4. penalties are high;
                5. even if you get caught speeding as a foreigner, it's usually not a big deal. Easy to talk your way out of it.

Overall, I just wouldn't bother.
                sigpic
                1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

That wikitravel link is about driving in France.
                  I don't know if it applies to having it sit in a luggage bag in an airport.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
                  And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                    Not worth the risk for many reasons:
                    1. speed cameras are a bigger threat than speed traps anyway;
                    2. many of the places you mentioned don't really care if you speed anyway...especially Italy;
                    3. the risk of getting caught with a detector is high;
                    4. penalties are high;
                    5. even if you get caught speeding as a foreigner, it's usually not a big deal. Easy to talk your way out of it.

Overall, I just wouldn't bother.
                    All good points.

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
                    That wikitravel link is about driving in France.
                    I don't know if it applies to having it sit in a luggage bag in an airport.
                    Also a good point. I believe it's forbidden to have one in your vehicle.
                    tasty

Comment

do it lol We are americans, we go places and do what we want. But watch out cause some of thoes other countries would love to bust your ass right about now. Why not just drive the speed limit though?
                      Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next

325ix

Comment

Originally posted by Mauiwowi View Post
                        do it lol We are americans, we go places and do what we want. But watch out cause some of thoes other countries would love to bust your ass right about now. Why not just drive the speed limit though?
                        Who said I'm speeding?
                        tasty

Comment

My father has a radar detector in Hungary, it's not a big deal, just take it off when the cops stop you. Back in the day it was only a problem at the borders, but now in the EU you shouldn't be too worried. Also, they don't really stop people, if someone is speeding and the speed camera catches them, they get a ticket in the mail.
                          In countries where it's prohibited to possess one, it's better to hide it when stopped by cops.

Long story short, it's not a big deal.

Edit: I just read you are traveling through France. In that case, good luck with that, it would be easier to arrive to a country where it's legal:) Another way to tackle this problem is renting one where you rent the car in Italy. Is that a possibility?

P.S. There are lots of speed cameras in Europe, and most of the time they are placed where there is really unreasonable speed limit. I'm saying like going 130km/h on the highway, then for about half a mile it's 80km/h, then back to 130 again. If you don't look for it, you don't even see the speed limit change.

P.S.2 Radar detectors are good. Just think about it, if the purpose of the cameras is slowing traffic down, they are doing it wrong. If you don't know there is a camera, you won't slow down, you'll just receive a ticket in the mail 10 days later. If you have a detector on the other hand, you'll know if you have to check on your speed, and you will slow down if necessary.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                          2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

eh... In Italy I never really cared, they annouce the speed cameras.. same story goes for france

IT: Controlo automatica de la velocita
                            FR: Controle De Vitesse Automatique

mappy.fr (or mappy.co.uk for english) will give you all the speed cameras for a given itinerary. Do watch out in france for subaru wrxs or BMW bikes on the side of the road.. they will chase you >:(

Julien
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                              eh... In Italy I never really cared, they annouce the speed cameras.. same story goes for france

IT: Controlo automatica de la velocita
                              FR: Controle De Vitesse Automatique

mappy.fr (or mappy.co.uk for english) will give you all the speed cameras for a given itinerary. Do watch out in france for subaru wrxs or BMW bikes on the side of the road.. they will chase you >:(

Julien

good info....I thought I was the one who noticed that they have subarus & bimmer bikes....and yes they do FLY after you if you're speeding. They're not @$$es though like they have a tendency to be here!

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
                              In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
                              Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
                              AND you are both still slow

Comment

Working...
                              X