The Porsche thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
    if your stuck in the purist mentality you either stop or sell your car. ive seen guys chase "oe perfection" and everytime i visit they seem more stressed out than before. in the end either they finish the car, and it sells for less than they expected, or they give up on the project cut their losses. if magnus has taught me anything its to enjoy your car, make it yours, and get out and drive.
    It's definitely a case by case situation. Unless you are starting out with a gutted shell, you are better off going as original as possible. Just look back to the 80's when everyone was taking their long hood porsches and slapping a bunch of 930 flares on them and updating them to be cool. Now, they go for considerably less. Times change and so do fads.

Magnus is Magnus. He has an entire team working on his garage full of probably 30 porsches. He is a brand now. When he mods cars, they go up in value when seen at auction. That's a very elite group to be in.

Also, modding a classic Porsche and it not looking like shit is probably more expensive than trying to stay original. And in the long run? Not a financially sound choice since these cars are turning into investments. Like it or not, collectors like their cars as close to stock and as original as possible.

I know it's fun to mod cars, but the amount of money it takes restore a swb Porsche does not make it a great option. At the end of the day, if you like to mod cars, stick with an E30.

Ryan
    Last edited by abrokenframe; 11-12-2014, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abrokenframe View Post
      At the end of the day, if you like to mod cars, stick with an E30.

Ryan
      I disagree.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

At the end of the day, if you like to mod cars, stick with an E30.
        It doesn't matter what the car, it can always be made better with the right mods.

Comment

Also, modding a classic Porsche and it not looking like shit is probably more expensive than trying to stay original. And in the long run? Not a financially sound choice since these cars are turning into investments. Like it or not, collectors like their cars as close to stock and as original as possible.
          Who gives a shit what the collectors like?

Comment

Have you seen the quality of those modified 80s cars? 90% of them are fiberglass garbage. If you find a car done right in that time they do hold their value however not extremly desirable. The Porsche market is odd. Modified cars and original cars do occupy the same price ranges. Its a very niche market which spreads on a wide spectrum. The most successful builders I've seen both within private/public collections cover the entire spectrum. The problem is with small time restorers they're usually a blue collar family guy that don't have the tools, skills, budget to build the cars right. They try to restore the cars, but often fall short in an attempt to "preserve the value."

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Have you seen the quality of those modified 80s cars? 90% of them are fiberglass garbage. If you find a car done right in that time they do hold their value however not extremly desirable. The Porsche market is odd. Modified cars and original cars do occupy the same price ranges. Its a very niche market which spreads on a wide spectrum. The most successful builders I've seen both within private/public collections cover the entire spectrum. The problem is with small time restorers they're usually a blue collar family guy that don't have the tools, skills, budget to build the cars right. They try to restore the cars, but often fall short in an attempt to "preserve the value."
              I completely agree. You can spend a fortune fixing someone's mistakes. If an owner restores a car improperly, modded or not, it's going to suck. The best way to make sure that "good intentioned" PO didn't screw up your car is to buy a car as close to original as possible- unless you are buying one with mods from a well known shop like Emory Motorsports of course.

Doing a car properly usually costs an arm & a leg either way, though. Going stock is always the safer bet. My take is if you are going to invest the money in restoring vehicles in the swb price ranges, do it in a way that will retain the car's integrity for generations to come. I'm not a professional designer and my stylistic ques will probably suck twenty years down the line.
              Last edited by abrokenframe; 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Knowledge is more important that money when it comes down to it. Throwing money at a Porsche does not a Porsche make. Spending wisely and in the right places you'd be surprised on how little it takes although still pricey. When you tear a car apart without rhyme or reason that's when your screwed.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Knowledge is more important that money when it comes down to it. Throwing money at a Porsche does not a Porsche make. Spending wisely and in the right places you'd be surprised on how little it takes although still pricey. When you tear a car apart without rhyme or reason that's when your screwed.
                  When you are talking about a 45 year old Porsche, pretty much every bolt on the car is coming off at some point. To date I have rebuilt my engine, transmission, fuel system, and am currently overhauling the suspension. Basically everything has come off of the shell excluding interior and trim. There's not a single thing that didn't need to be either zinc plated, chromed, powder coated, painted, or replaced. Even with me doing all of the work, the bill has ran well into the five digits excluding special tools, my time, and my car. I still haven't even touched the small rust issues or interior....

This is all on a car that I bought with 95% of the parts intact. Not like most of the incomplete rusted crap for sale under $20k these days.

I'm just not sure how you do it cheaper. Open to suggestions though.

Comment

Oh definitely. If you want any kind of "affordable" Porsche its going to be post-1980. So basically late model 911SC's. If you dream of owning mid-early 70s and older its most likely going to be a resto project unless you have the $$$$ for a turn key car.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Oh definitely. If you want any kind of "affordable" Porsche its going to be post-1980. So basically late model 911SC's. If you dream of owning mid-early 70s and older its most likely going to be a resto project unless you have the $$$$ for a turn key car.
                      Spot on with the SC's. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have gone with an SC or late 80's Carrera. Both are a much more manageable and normal vehicle in every sense. The 912 is awesome to drive, but can be a hassle in modern traffic and very tough on the vehicle. Also, they didn't start galvanizing bodies until '75. I think the cheapest air cooled 911's right now are the '74-'77, but not by much.

Comment

This is for sale locally and has been for quite some time, I pass by it every so often and grabbed a few pics recently. I'd love to give it the attention it deserves and turn it into a summer cruiser for myself or the girlfriend, but I think the owner is asking a bit much, and I'm not sure I have time and funds for another project.

Considering the state of the rest of it I was shocked at how clean the motor looks.
                        Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

^ Oh, you mean that VW, Audi, bastard, thing? Rougher than a night in jail? Just don't.
                          '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                          '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

there is almost no reason to throw good money at a 924....

unless its like 300 bux or less, and u r building a chump car..or a starter track toy.

what is he asking?....700- 1200?

jus buy yourself a rt fender..lol
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              I disagree.

Lorin is right,..

and, proper mods on a 911 can bring value.......

modding 911's is a never ending game of fun. There's so much to do..and most can be returned to stock if needed.

so....if u have the cash...and u know the car well......911s are great to mod.

I have a modded e30..great car...but its not a 911...lol
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                                Lorin is right,..

and, proper mods on a 911 can bring value.......

modding 911's is a never ending game of fun. There's so much to do..and most can be returned to stock if needed.

so....if u have the cash...and u know the car well......911s are great to mod.

I have a modded e30..great car...but its not a 911...lol
                                Yea I get your point. I only mentioned E30's because we are on an e30 forum, most of us mod them, it's way cheaper to do so, and basically no risk. 911's are known for their durability for track use so many mod them for that purpose- especially in regards to SC's and newer. I'll bet you will start to see less of them modded as prices rise though. People liked them because they were a relatively cheap platform in years past. Reversible mods aren't really the issue either.

My experience is with 912's. In specifically discussing performance, I just don't see the point in modding a 100hp 50yo car that can be outperformed by 95% of the cars on the road. People go on the 912bbs and ask how they get more power thinking there's a couple of bolt on parts. The answer is always spend 10+k blueprinting an engine that is less durable & streetable for an additional 25hp. The basic 912 engine was as far as Porsche could stretch the push rod 616, which was old technology by that point. Just leave them as they are and don't waste your money.

Comment

Working...
                                X