No announcement yet.

College Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee, you have quite the system going for you. Looks clean! I wish I could just save up and dive into something that will last me for years but the room is only 10'x11' and I live in a triplex at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
      ... and I live in a triplex at the moment.
      This is the biggest restriction. Even if you had plenty of dough to buy the best equipment, you wouldn't be able to enjoy it if living in a triplex, unless it is constructed with concrete walls and ceilings/floors.

I had built a pair of transmission line speakers with Kef components. That thing could reach so low, that after several complaints from neigbours, I had to take apart the speakers.

BTW This is an expensive hobby. Just as racing is expensive. Except that when you buy a race part, it stays on the car. With audio equipment, you buy, you listen, you resell for better. And the best piece of equipment might not fit your set-up. Imagine all the money being wasted.
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Good lord: KEFs.

Totally awesome!

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

You know, some dude and his audiophile friends did a blind cable test with radioshack wire, one or two nice ass expensive wires and an unraveled coat hanger used as a wire, I think the coat hanger came out on top.

"Nice" wires are a sham. Also gotta love the "nice" coax and optical SPDIF cables, as if you'll notice those high quality 1s and 0s to get to the other side.

I just got some flat 14AWG wire to go under carpets and stuff, I would have gone 12AWG if I was more patient and ordered online or something.

Comment

I have been shooting down the BS "cable" myths since the early 80's.

The best they can do is reduce noise.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'd say that the rule is to get oxygen-free copper wires. If using short lengths (below 8 foot long), even some basic 16 gauge will do (this probably even bigger than what's in your cabinet anyway). Bigger gauge for longer runs.

Any wire has Inductance-Capacitance-Resistance values. Resistance will act as a brake to your signal. Some power will disapear. But Inductance and Capacitance will determine the balance of frequencies, and many manufacturers will make you believe that their wires are cleaner as you get better bass or better highs, or both (less mid). All they did was to play with the LCR value of the cable and designed the wires as a filter... Selling them for a few hundred bucks. Scam.

I guess it is okay to pay for the fancy look, because that all there is.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

college system = something you don't mind getting beer on.
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                  So true. Not to forget amps that you can afford when drunk friends throw them out the window...

massivebrakes.com

Comment

$1600 to $8350 connectors.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                      Well how about having a midfi system during college? Yeah high price wire and connectors are ridiculous. Trying to find gold out of old rubber.

Comment

Well how about having a midfi system during college? Yeah high price wire and connectors are ridiculous. Trying to find gold out of old rubber.
                        I always liked my $50 adcom 535 and $75 ADS L500's
                        [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

Originally posted by stumble_t View Post
                          I always liked my $50 adcom 535 and $75 ADS L500's
                          Good heavens. Im hearing of all these people buying good gear for cheap and I can never find them. Garage sale finds and etc just dont happen here :(.

Comment

I cant believe how certain wires will cost $50 dollars for 10'. I mean do they serve that much of a noticeable difference?
                            $50 ha, http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72793

The audio industry is ridiculous, this isn't even the most expensive variation. There is one that cost about $21000 but the website that sells it makes you call for pricing now.

Comment

I brought my B&O and tossed it my junior year because it was done-ski
                              Build Threads:
                              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                              X