Clunkers: Taxpayers paid $24,000 per car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunkers: Taxpayers paid $24,000 per car

Wow Im glad our government knows whats best for its people!

discuss!

A total of 690,000 new vehicles were sold under the Cash for Clunkers program last summer, but only 125,000 of those were vehicles that would not have been sold anyway, according to an analysis released Wednesday by the automotive Web site Edmunds.com.
    Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

there is a lot of heresay in that number. They are multiplying the average rebate by the total cars sold over the period, then dividing by the number which they predict would not have sold anyway, to get around $24000.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
      Wow Im glad our government knows whats best for its people!

discuss!

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/28/auto...ysis/index.htm
      you hate the current administration... yea we got it. Get over it, I'm sick of listening to your whining.

edit: I might have confused you with e30 cabrio, but still
      sigpic

Comment

This program did more than get new cars sold. It has and is doing lots of good. Theres alot less oil use because of it too.
        Tial, Precision, Garrett Dealer!!!
        PM me for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
          you hate the current administration... yea we got it. Get over it, I'm sick of listening to your whining.

there is a whole heck of alot of people that hated the previous administration, and did nothing but whine.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
            there is a whole heck of alot of people that hated the previous administration, and did nothing but whine.
            And did they get anything accomplished by whining? So why are you idiots still doing it?
            - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
            E36 325i sedan
            E30 325i sedan
            Volvo 945T

Comment

fuzzy math.. it's all the rage lately, from both camps..
              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                that's how it is when you back the loser.. your disapointed, your bitter, you whine..
                '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by Under_Pressure View Post
                  This program did more than get new cars sold. It has and is doing lots of good. Theres alot less oil use because of it too.
                  A lot less oil use? Explain this one. The consumption difference between a 'clunker' and the replacement cars was miniscule (IIRC to get the maximum rebate it only had to be 4mpg better). This program was about getting people to start buying on credit again, not about some touchy-feely green movement that the administration is trying to dazzle everyone with.
                  The huge problem is people don't look at the secondary costs. Sure, the new car is using -a little- less gas, but all those clunkers are now trash sitting in a yard somewhere, leeching oil into the ground. And they didn't get there by magic, they got there carried by some big diesel-belching semi truck, and they got crushed by some big smoking diesel-powered crusher. While a servicable car could have gone on a long time, consuming a minisculely higher amount of pertoleum compared to the new car, a huge amount of fossil fuels and energy was put into disableing, moving and destroying it, and then building and transporting its replacement. Destroying the cars removes potentially usable recycleable parts, which now have to be made new, at the cost of energy.
                  At best, the effect on fossil fuel usage broke even.

/rant

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post

"Get over it"
                    "Move on"

Typical comments of the intellectually lazy and the ignorant while the .gov continues to take our money and piss it away.

After all is said and done, the .gov gets its hands on 40% of my income via various taxes.

I should just "get over it"?
                    sigpic
                    1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                    Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                    Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

it was nothing to do with being green. it was part of the stimulus and a means of propping up domestic auto. there's a good article in the latest fortune by steve rattner who led the auto bailout.

Reporting for my first day of work on the auto task force, I lingered outside a guard shack on Pennsylvania Avenue. My clearance into the fortress-like Treasury building was adrift in a bureaucratic haze, a fitting example of the chaotic start of my government service.
                      '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                      '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Cabrio View Post

move to canada.. oh wait..
                        '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                        '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

"Get over it"
                          "Move on"

Typical comments of the intellectually lazy and the ignorant while the .gov continues to take our money and piss it away.

After all is said and done, the .gov gets its hands on 40% of my income via various taxes.

I cant wait to abuse your tax money when I have kids and buy my first home.

Comment

"Get over it"
                            "Move on"

oh FUCK i didnt realize this. Im glad i was enlightened in an e30 OT. brb, going to build apocalypse shelter

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              oh FUCK i didnt realize this. Im glad i was enlightened in an e30 OT. brb, going to build apocalypse shelter
                              don't forget you're tin foil hat
                              '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                              '91 SpecE30 #523

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Working...
                              X