No announcement yet.

Health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no way I'm going to go through and quote everyone, but Ken, Der affe, and Hallen all make very excellent points.

On Ken's first point, being one of those people considered in the "poor" column (I made 18k last year, and 12k the year before). If I can find a way to keep myself healthy (which is 75% of my job as an opera singer) everyone else can, sure mom and dad help out buying me a plane ticket back for Thanksgiving but that's an irrelevant issue. I make my $300 monthly payment for great coverage, $600 for rent and utilities in a nice house, and then have just enough left for a social life, food, travel and the e30, not to mention keeping myself healthy. Having lived in New Orleans and DC, I can personally say that the MAJORITY of the low income population is the medical burden because of their personal irresponsibility and not because they are incapable by any means of keeping themselves healthy.

I'll have to find the med report I read about Medicare's spending but here's my story on another side of der affe's. I used to work for a doctor in Houston, my entire job was to make collection calls to insurance companies (yeah it was fun, i know, ). Medicare and Medicaid were the absolute WORST companies I have very had to deal with, between the mountains of paperwork to the bullshit run around and them literally not wanting to pay for anything whatsoever, it would take 3-4 months just to get reimbursments compared to 3-4 weeks with private companies. Then on top of all that, when medications or equipment was necessary for a patient we had to order it through their suppliers or it wouldn't be covered. If you want to know why both Medicare and Medicaid are the two highest dropped coverages with doctors (ie docs don't accept them) combine all the bullshit run around with equipment, like say an oxygen tank, that costs medicare $1900 while the open market sells the exact same tank for $400. It happens with the private sector too, but not nearly to the extent that it is with the government run programs, it's one of the main reasons Medicare was projected to cost 1 billion by 1990 and ended up costing 109 Billion, and why in 2008 alone it cost 508 Billion!! $7500 for those sleeves is highway robbery and we all know it. If you got rid of the insurance-supplier bullshit and let doctors purchase whatever they needed on the open market then I guarantee that overall care cost would be cut in half, no more of this bullshit "bulk-rate" crap.

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
    It would be good to completely remove the insurance companies. The only reason they exist is because very few people have a lump sum that they can use to start their own medical savings account. If you have just started working and are hurt, you wouldn't have near enough money to cover it. Sure, if you work for 10 years and keep paying into your own account, you'd probably have enough. So what would be nice would be the availability of catastrophic insurance, for those big ones, and then use your own savings (taken pre-tax directly from your check. That program exists today, btw, but I don't know what the cap is and you can't roll it over from year to year). So in essence, you are self insured. Then you pay a small fee for your catastrophic account. Pay something like $300 per month for your account in 5 years you'll have 18k for your medical payments, plus interest, minus any amount that you had to use.

But the current plan in the house won't let you do that, I'm pretty sure. You won't be allowed to self insure even though it is probably the best option out there. If you never need to use it, you can pull the money (probably after paying taxes on it). It's your money though.
    Right on the money! Sprint actually has a program that creates a medical savings account that does roll over, on top of the insurance coverage packages that they offer. Every paycheck I would have a certain percentage of my earnings put into the account and I could use it for whatever I needed: prescriptions, co-pay, didn't matter and i still had full insurance coverage. Creating savings accounts like those are the absolute best way, much the same way you can use Escrow accounts instead of auto insurance (which I am considering switching to btw)

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
    Anyway, like I said, I'm no expert. I realize that assembly line practices won't work for medicine... and thank goodness for that. I wouldn't want to be treated like a Ford truck. I also realize that none of this is simple. I just feel strongly that the plan that passed the house is absolutely the wrong thing to do.
    Totally agree with all of y'all that no way in hell do I want this to turn into anything remotely close to a factory system, and it is extremely complicated on the patient care side of it which of course will always demand a higher cost.

Originally posted by Hallen
    Competition in insurance via removal of the state barriers will most likely not lower quality. There will be a full range of choices.

If you pay for cheap insurance, then expect lousy service in your claim processing. Also expect a lot of hassles about what is and is not covered, much like Geico car insurance. It'll work sometimes, but it is going to be a hassle. Or, go for a slightly more expensive program and get much better service. It's up to you.

Look at the car insurance business for an example. They deal with risk pools and you can find insurance to meet your needs for reasonable amounts of money. Competition drives both cost reductions, often through innovation, and also will drive service up. People will not put up with horrible service if they have a choice (which I will point out that a government plan does not provide).
    Dead on, 100% my point exactly!

-----------

On another note, I would like to mention, that for those who have not heard, the LONE Republican Congressman who voted FOR the Bill (who I'm sad to admit I have met in person), had been called into several meetings with Pelosi and Obama and was promised 108 Billion dollars of "recovery aid" for his district in New Orleans. Now I'm glad for any aid that can be brought into NOLA because I love that city but it is absolutely despicable that the President of the United States is BRIBING the Congressman into order to ram a bill through. I don't care if this bill was the most perfect piece of legislation in the history of the world, there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for the President to be committing these crimes (well it would be a crime if he was an ordinary citizen). He LITERALLY is BUYING Votes for the bill!!!!!!! This isn't Lobbying, it's BRIBING!!!!

He also gave a Californian Rep 164 million for the Cal Medical School in exchange for a YES vote!!!!

I don't understand how anyone, Democrat, Republican, Liberal or Conservative can not be outraged by these actions, it's one thing to lobby and campaign for legislation, it's a whole other thing to be bribing people for votes!!!
    stephenbrody.com

Comment

Not looking forward to it. Senate will probably knock it down though. That is my hope. Too many Dems that want to keep their job next voting session...

Comment

terp just to make sure you understand, i was not crapping on the docs or the hospital. that is why i brought up the fact that, while things were bad at county hospital, i know that it is due to the fact that they handle more indigent patients than any other hospital in greater phx. that means that they are either dealing with medicare/medicade or no payment at all which means waiting for payments for 6 months or never. they did and are doing the best with what they have to work with. they kept me alive, stabilized me, patched me up (not the prettiest job, but that is not what they are there for and it is not how burns work). although when they were loading me in the ambu and someone asked what hospital they were taking me to they replied "county!k i shot up off the gurney and shouted"don't take me there! i have health insurance!" for what they did, i am greatfull!

i know that thehmedical suppliers and insurance providers have their hands in each others pants and the doc's hands are tied.

back in june when i was in pt, the woman who owns the clinic (who was also my pt person) told me that she got a letter that day from medicare/medicade telling here she would not be recieving any $ from them until after the 1st of the year begining aug 1st. that is a long time to go when you run a clinic and the majority of your patients are elderly and on gov. health care. there was nothing she could do about it, but suck it up until the 1st of the year.
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Der Affe, I meant in no way whatsoever to say that you were crapping on docs or hospitals. In fact I was supporting your point from a different angle. I completely agree with your position and was trying to confirm show that the mix between the government programs and suppliers is a major factor is raising costs from someone whose job it was to collect reimbursements and make purchases.
          stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            Jesus. You don't have any conscious at all, do you?

'I'm sorry Ms. hard Working Single Mother of 3, you don't have enough income from your minimum wage job to pay $10K a year in healthcare costs you you deserve to die.' - Restoman

Someone has obviously never gone without healthcare in their lives :loco:
            Ive gone without healthcare and I agree with him. I dont believe that access to great doctors is an inalienable human right and you open up a pandora's box of grey area. Where do you draw the line? Is it a human right for an 80 year old man to have access to millions in healthcare to extend his life a few years?
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

WELL FUCK

it passed a cloture vote in the senate here we go

For all the kiddies

for the rest of us
              The Senate has approved a key procedural measure to advance the health care bill to a floor debate. 

bend over all were gonna get dry, this is gonna get really ugly, dont say you weren't warned, hope this is the change you all wanted
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

The system wont be able to support it.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

We should clearly go to war with Europe so that we can conquer their healthcare.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                  X