Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Guitar builders here? EMG techs? Longshot here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Guitar builders here? EMG techs? Longshot here!!

I have been building my own stratocaster replica electric guitar and I am in my final stages of production.

I wired up some EMG Zakk Wylde 81 & 85 pickups and I thought I followed the diagram perfectly but on my 3-way switch only the 2nd and 3rd position produce sound from the guitar but the first setting doesn't.

Anyone know anything about EMG's?

I know this is a longshot of this forum but I don't want to register to any luthier forums.

Thanks Wade

EMG Diagram link Look under 1-Volume 1-Tone 3 way Switch

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=133253 << work in progress

How clean is your soldering? That's usually the first thing I check...and it's usually the culprit.

I'm not familiar with EMG's though. How hard is it to register at a luthier forum anyways? http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/
    sigpic
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

i cant open that pdf for some reason but definitely check the soldering or if you soldered the switch backwards or something. my buddy and i learned a lot when we were 16 or so by taking a shitty lotus (SSS coil setup) strat copy and making into an HSH (humbucker, single, humbucker). usually whenever we had a problem it was something silly like a wire soldered to the wrong pin or something on the switch.
      Originally posted by blunt
      i called my 17 yo paperboy "sugartits" in a christmas card 3 years ago. he never came back and im not joking.

Comment

probably a messed-up switch. Test that it functions as it should with a multimeter.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! I think I found the culprit, the wire from the volume pot was connected to pin 3 instead of 4. I suck at diagrams.

Comment

Strat wiring is always confusing. Still better than trying to fold your hand 6 ways to get the harness back in an ES-335 though.

Comment

Originally posted by WADE30 View Post
              Thanks a lot guys! I think I found the culprit, the wire from the volume pot was connected to pin 3 instead of 4. I suck at diagrams.

Exactly what I would say.

Double check all your pins, and make sure your soldering is clean (as mentioned)

I have also had issues with interference from the gold foil that insulates the guitar cavity.. Not sure how though, probably purity issues from using cheap shit.
              Originally posted by Teaguer
              Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

I have another problem! How come my soldering won't stick to the top of the pots where the pickup's wires go? It is like too smooth or something!

Comment

Wow. A lot of guitar people here. :)

But, for the pot-issue..... It's b/c you're not heating it enough. Leave the tip of your iron in one spot on the pot for a bit, then drop a bead of solder on it. From that point on, solder all grounds to that bead... I say this b/c you can destroy the pot if you overheat it. So, be careful!
                  DD - 1986 325ES w/M20B25 swap, 4.10 LSD
                  DD - 1998 R1
                  Rest In Pieces - 2000 A4 1.8TQM

Comment

^True! A drop of flux can help matters, too.

Comment

Sevenstring.org A lot of people there could help with any other problems you might run into.... Many luthiers post there: Sherman, KxK, Oni, etc. And be sure to check out the ER section... :D

Comment

Working...
                      X