Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you who think bottled water is the same as city water...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from Georgetown Municipal Water & Sewer Service Water Quality Report for year 2008.
    barium 0.021(ppm)
    copper 0.275(ppm)
    fluoride 1.08(ppm) additive
    lead 3(ppB)
    nickel 2(ppb)
    nitrate[1040] 6.010(ppb)
    nitrate[1041] 0.010(ppm)
    toluene 0.0015(ppm)
    organic carbon 1.18(ppm)
    chloramines 0.8 to 3.6(ppm) (changes monthly)
    haloacetic acids 21(ppb)
    total trihalomethanes 36(ppb)
    Parts per million (ppm) - or milligrams per liter, (mg/l). One part per million corresponds to one minute in two years or
    a single penny in $10,000.
    Parts per billion (ppb) - or micrograms per liter, (μg/L). One part per billion corresponds to one minute in 2,000 years,
    or a single penny in $10,000,000.
    Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
    every time an M-tech 1 spoiler is destroyed, a baby seal dies.
    Originally posted by Jparkr
    The last thing we need are more of the retards on here thinking they are engineers too.
    87 325:83 jetta coupe:99 volvo c70:99 volvo s70

Comment

as to your 1st responce, Yes they have been working on getting rig of lead in the water systems. But there are 1000s of miles of water main that is still in service that was put in the 20-30-40, and I think in some places they still used lead to seal the joints into the early 50's. Now I am not saying that you get lots of lead in your water from these because you dont really. In the city of lansing MI there are (last I knew) 22k lead water services and that was 07, many cities all over still have them in the ground, they know this and are not about to advertise it, or there would be a huge class action bio hazard law suit, they are working quietly to replace them, along with all the other old sewer and water systems.

As to your home yeah no shit it has all copper in it, thats been the standard for home plumbing for ever, hell I have seen the poop pipe in homes from the 60's that are copper rather than PVC or cast iron before that. I am not referring to that, I am talking about the service that leads from the water main out under the street to the house pre water meeter. You have never seen that less you have dug it up. All the old shit is of the cast or ductile Iron verity and many places still use it as its life span and durability is still exceeds that of the modern PVC, PVC still even gets the nasty build up in it. I have seen 8 inch mains that have had so much shit build up in them that there may be 4 inches of usable diameter in the pipe.

As to the particulate matter in your 2ed post, where were those samples pulled from, right after the filtration process or at some ones tap? If at the tap, was it allowed to run for 60 seconds 1st or just what is there at the tap??? How far from the treatment facility was it???? How recent was the water system in that area updated???? You see my point here lots of variables not taken into accout for that sample.

Best actions if you are gonna drink city water is to let the tap run for 60-80 seconds to flush the service and lines in your home so you are getting "fresher" water outta the main rather than whats sitting in the service or pipes, as that 'fresher" water is not as likely to have dissolved as many impurities into it. Now run a pot full and boil, cool put in fridge and run trough a britta filter. All though you can prolly get away with the flush and britta.

I have great well water at the house and we still flush the line and run it though a brita filter before we drink it, make coffee, tea, or consume it in any way.

Look as a general rule yes city water is safe to drink but thats you choice. Like I have said I have seen how the system works and whats in there this is something I know a bit about. Just not gonna do it.

here is a pic thats much like alot of what I have seen, this is one of the more common cases from shit installed in the 60'- early 80's but you ought to get the point. There are 1000's of miles still in service like this all over the country in nearly every city and town.

Originally posted by link
      This 2-foot long section of 4-inch diameter water main was removed during street and utility upgrades in the Village of Campbellsport in September of 2009. Over time, corrosion dramatically weakens these old iron pipes while internal deposits restrict and reduce water flow. It was calculated that deposits had reduced the capacity of this pipe by over a third.
      https:////campbellsport.govoffice.co...-9A50A85DEA56}
      Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

I'd like to think all those barnicles/micro-organisms/etc in the water + never getting flu shots or going to the doc for anti-biotics for a sore throat is why I have a monsterously strong immune system.

I've been sick one time since I had Mono in 7th grade, so like 15 years?
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          I'd like to think all those barnicles/micro-organisms/etc in the water + never getting flu shots or going to the doc for anti-biotics for a sore throat is why I have a monsterously strong immune system.

I've been sick one time since I had Mono in 7th grade, so like 15 years?
          Exactly what i was thinking. It's like using hand sanitizer after touching anything and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            i'd like to think all those barnicles/micro-organisms/etc in the water + never getting flu shots or going to the doc for anti-biotics for a sore throat is why i have a monsterously strong immune system.

I've been sick one time since i had mono in 7th grade, so like 15 years?
            +1

I rarely ever get sick, and even when I should be getting very sick it will not last more than 2-3 days.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you 3 referring to the hygiene paradox ?????????

If so I would tend to agree with you guys but not when it comes to the water supply. Wait till you get a parasite, then you will worry more about you water. Or talk to the people in Milwaukee in 1993 after the cryptosporidium out break.

I can count on one hand how many times I have been sick since the mid 90's as well, And I have never been on city water in my life and never drink it when I am around it.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Bend's water was rated #3 in the country. I prefer it over bottled water.

Comment

in the report they state that the water tested in pulled from random sites in the water system, they also do 3-5 tests per site over several months then average the numbers together to give the numbers I gave. we also have a nikken water filter we run our water through.
                  not my picture but its the same thing.
                  Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                  every time an M-tech 1 spoiler is destroyed, a baby seal dies.
                  Originally posted by Jparkr
                  The last thing we need are more of the retards on here thinking they are engineers too.
                  87 325:83 jetta coupe:99 volvo c70:99 volvo s70

Comment

Working...
                  X