08-09 BMW 335i 6sp..... any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08-09 BMW 335i 6sp..... any thoughts?

Looking at replacing the family ride. But the wife and I agree that it needs to have some "fun" factor too as this will be her DD. Fuel economy isn't "that" much of a deal breaker as she has a round trip of 6 miles to work and I use the E30 to pick up the kids, run around in etc. Any experience good or bad? Looking at finding one with under 50k and under $33k.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by imprttuner88; 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM.
    1987 325i LeChump: H&R Race springs, weight reduction and beat to hell

2005 Mazda RX8: Koni Yellows, Hotchkis FSB, 245 BFG Rivals RTR #11

2011 Mazda CX7 Sport: The family truckster

2001 Buick Park Ave: The DD grandpamobile

1991 Ford F150 XLT 302: camping/towing

I just bought an '06 E92 330i with those same usage parameters. I'd keep an eye out for a 330i.

-- The 330i was for '06 only... 255hp was a nice upgrade vs the 325 or 328.
    -- No turbos. I didn't like the thought for my 2-mile commute to train station. Not enough time to warm 'em up or spool 'em down.
    -- Long-term reliability is unknown for the turbo engine.
    -- The 335's seem to have a lot of HPFP and software problems. Maybe they'll be resolved by BMW, maybe not.
    -- It's fast enough for any possible scenario on legal roads.

Given all the teething problems in the first year, I wouldn't buy an '07 335i. And I definitely wouldn't buy a 335i without the CPO warranty.

I bought mine for about $5k below your $33k limit, with just 28k on the odo. Basically in new condition with CPO warranty too.

Downsides? My E92 feels like a much, much heftier car than the E46 it replaced. And many more electronic gizmos that will eventually break: adaptive headlights, etc etc. But you can't stop progress.

Also, the 330i seems like the forgotten stepchild w/r/t performance software etc. The only hot rodding potential seems to be a Differential swap, and that's it.

Comment

The gasoline turbo is in production in the 1, 3 and 5, and has been for at least two MYs, so I think your safe with the turbo car. Resale for the 335i is better than the 330i. One of my buddys has an E92 330i and another has the E92 335i. 330i wishes he had the 335i. I've driven both, they rock, but the turbo rocks a little harder, but you will pay a premium for that extra HP/TQ and bling, so...

No real power increase via mods for the N52B30, 50hp gain with a chip for the N54B30. The power delivery of the twin-turbo (sequential?) engine is seamless... lag is virtually non-existent.
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
        50hp gain with a chip for the N54B30. The power delivery of the twin-turbo (sequential?) engine is seamless... lag is virtually non-existent.

What I have heard, although it will stay stock other than "maybe" some Breyton wheels....

Comment

Originally posted by imprttuner88 View Post
          What I have heard, although it will stay stock other than "maybe" some Breyton wheels....
          Nooooooooooo!!!!!! not Breyton!!!! BBS, amigo 8)

Comment

I really want a 135I and will have one some day if that helps
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Well its ultimately her choice. But ya, I love some BBS's too...

Comment

Im gonna wait to see how the turbos last before I get a x35i. I too want a 135i but all I need to hear is "oh, yeah...theres your problem. One of your turbos spun a bearing." 330i if anything.

COTM

Comment

i bot a 2007 328xi 6 spd coupe, sprt pkg
                  plenty of power, but not batshit insane like a 335i, but a very entertaining car
                  still, love the motor, needed all wheel drive up here in the PNW, and like the car a lot
                  i bot a cpo car from a dealer in colorado springs with <22k miles, extended warranty for $30k, took me a while to find the right color combo but the drive home thru wyoming and montana was a blast at 90mph
                  you should be able to get the car your looking for in that price range i think, the dealer that had my car had it advertised at $33.5k
                  go to bmwusa.com and do a nationwide search
                  “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

the twin turbo motor is great. my 08 135 did loose its HPFP but that will happen to all 08 cars with the turbo engine. BMW fixed the problem and it is covered under warranty. The e92 chassis is a boat. It feels super heavy compared to the e82 and the e46. If you are looking for a fun car for handeling then the 135 is a much better choice. It wil be harder to find one but its a really fun car to dd. Personally I dont think the e92 is a fun car at all unless you are getting an M. The 135 does just about everything better just in a slightly smaller package.
                    e30sport.net
                    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                      the twin turbo motor is great. my 08 135 did loose its HPFP but that will happen to all 08 cars with the turbo engine. BMW fixed the problem and it is covered under warranty. The e92 chassis is a boat. It feels super heavy compared to the e82 and the e46. If you are looking for a fun car for handeling then the 135 is a much better choice. It wil be harder to find one but its a really fun car to dd. Personally I dont think the e92 is a fun car at all unless you are getting an M. The 135 does just about everything better just in a slightly smaller package.
                      188lb difference. Just sayin. I would go with the 135, too.

Comment

Def 135i....with a chip you can be pushing close to 400hp. Get rid of the staggerd tire setup to alleviate understeer, better brake pads for the fade issues these cars have, and make sure it has an oil cooler and your set.

Comment

Since its the family ride gotta have 4 doors. So as much as I would like to make the arguement that the 135 is the better car, I am not gonna get that arguement to pass. Since I am getting rid of the T4R she has to have a larger car. But I GREATLY appreciate all the insight. I really just gotta get her in the car and have her drive it. Steering away from the other car she likes, TSX..... NO!

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                            188lb difference. Just sayin. I would go with the 135, too.
                            drive both back to back and tell me the 3 doesnt feel like it weighs 1000lbs more... qualitatively.
                            e30sport.net
                            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                            X