The Cure "Sells Out"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cure "Sells Out"?

High School Reunion, some weak reality show has the Cure's In Between Days as the theme music on the commercials. I never thought the Cure was "down for the cause" or anything like that, but didn't think they would let a cool song like that be used for such a lame TV show, or any TV show for that matter. Or am I just old and cranky?
    I Timothy 2:1-2

In was my impression that the record labels sometimes has control over who the song is licensed to - not the artist.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

The record label owns the music and the rights to it. Essentially they are putting in an "order" for new songs in the contract with the artist.

It's just like Royal Caribbean using Iggy Pops "Lust for Life".

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        In was my impression that the record labels sometimes has control over who the song is licensed to - not the artist.
        Yeah, you're right cause Paul McCartny was pissed when MJ out-bid him for the Beatles catalog and then sold songs to for use on TV commercials. I forgot about that.

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
        The record label owns the music and the rights to it. Essentially they are putting in an "order" for new songs in the contract with the artist.

It's just like Royal Caribbean using Iggy Pops "Lust for Life".
        Yeah, I bet Iggy is up-set about that cause that song is all over the place.

However, didn't Microsoft pay the Stones a bunch of cash to use Start Me Up on a Windows ad? Or did that go to the label?

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
          However, didn't Microsoft pay the Stones a bunch of cash to use Start Me Up on a Windows ad? Or did that go to the label?
          Close - it was for the ads selling windows 95. The number I head was 1 million.

Windows 95 was released with great fanfare, including a commercial featuring the Rolling Stones' 1981 single "Start Me Up" (a reference to the Start button).[4] It was widely reported that Microsoft paid the Rolling Stones between US$8 and US$14 million for the use of the song in the 95 advertising campaign. According to sources at Microsoft, however, this was just a rumor spread by the Stones to increase their market value, and Microsoft actually paid a fraction of that amount
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

why is it that everyone freaks out when an artist makes money off something they do as a career. seriously if you wrote songs, wouldnt you wanna get paid from them?

and with more and more downloading of music illegaly they have to turn to other sources, such as commercials.

just because someone wants to make money for something they do doesnt mean they "sold out".

and if the artist chooses to have a record company own the rights to their songs, well then that is because they got paid a large amount upfront and thats how the business works. as a cure fan you should be stoked to have them get more exposure because that can in turn bring them more record sales and such.

Comment

Yeah, you're right cause Paul McCartny was pissed when MJ out-bid him for the Beatles catalog and then sold songs to for use on TV commercials. I forgot about that.

Yeah, I bet Iggy is up-set about that cause that song is all over the place.

Yeah, but keep in mind Mick Jagger was a accountant before he was a rock star, he stopped selling his songs to the label years ago

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                Close - it was for the ads selling windows 95. The number I head was 1 million.
                A mil back then was really good... hell it still is today.

Originally posted by joshuaaa View Post
                why is it that everyone freaks out when an artist makes money off something they do as a career. seriously if you wrote songs, wouldnt you wanna get paid from them?

and with more and more downloading of music illegaly they have to turn to other sources, such as commercials.

just because someone wants to make money for something they do doesnt mean they "sold out".

and if the artist chooses to have a record company own the rights to their songs, well then that is because they got paid a large amount upfront and thats how the business works. as a cure fan you should be stoked to have them get more exposure because that can in turn bring them more record sales and such.
                Respectfully, If I have to explain, you prolly wont understand why this is wack.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Yeah, but keep in mind Mick Jagger was a accountant before he was a rock star, he stopped selling his songs to the label years ago
                I see. Too bad John Fogerty didn't practice law prior to CCR.

Comment

Or am I just old and cranky?
                  Or maybe and old cranky Emo?

The Cure has tons of songs that are part of musical environment since 1979. So, it's great that commercial TV recognizes them. After all, The Cure was a great music band. I am huge fan of their first three albums, then they turned pop, then Emo. Yishhh...
                  Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                    Or maybe and old cranky Emo?

The Cure has tons of songs that are part of musical environment since 1979. So, it's great that commercial TV recognizes them. After all, The Cure was a great music band. I am huge fan of their first three albums, then they turned pop, then Emo. Yishhh...
                    Agreed, the early stuff was great - Fat Bob wrote some very catchy, melodic stuff. I prolly wouldn't mind if they used the song for something legit, but High School Reunion? Puhleaze.

Comment

Working...
                    X