Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to go overseas for a jobby job...Inputs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cochran View Post
    With that said, there is an offset allowed, so that if you are paying taxes directly to a foreign government, you report that to the IRS so you don't get double-billed.
    Agree, you still owe your money to the US... But as you said, any foreign taxes paid should reduce your US tax liability.

Comment

Do I have to pay U.S. taxes when I work abroad?

Answer:
      If you are a U.S. citizen working abroad, you may be able to minimize what you owe in U.S. income tax if you qualify for the foreign income exclusion. If you qualify, you may exclude up to $80,000 in foreign income from U.S. income tax liability. If you are married, your spouse is allowed an additional $80,000 exclusion. To qualify, you and your spouse must satisfy the following requirements:

You must reside in a foreign country for an entire tax year or for at least 330 days during a 12-month period
      Your salary must be paid by a company or agency in your country of residence or by a U.S. company operating in that country
      Also, only earned income--salaries, wages, and fringe benefits, plus allowances and expenses for housing--qualifies for the exclusion. Dividends, interest, capital gains, pension or retirement distributions, and alimony do not qualify. If you are a member of the U.S. military or other government service and are living abroad, your income is not considered foreign income. You'll have to pay taxes as if you were a taxpayer living in the United States.

Even if you avoid U.S. income tax, you will likely pay some form of income tax to the country in which you reside and earn a salary. Should you fail to meet its residency requirements, or if you receive income above the allowable exclusion, you'll probably end up paying both foreign and U.S. income tax. If you do pay foreign income tax, you can apply for a separate U.S. tax credit (using Form 1116) in the amount of foreign income tax you are required to pay.

You'll also owe U.S. Social Security taxes if your country of residence has no treaty to coordinate its social service coverage with the United States. However, if such a treaty is in force, you'll pay foreign social service taxes to your host nation and will not be required to pay U.S. Social Security taxes. In addition, you may be subject to estate and gift taxes if you transfer property, no matter where that property is located. If you maintain a house in the United States, you may owe state income tax and local property tax. For more information, consult a tax advisor or contact the IRS at (800) 829-3676 or www.irs.gov and request Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        Working abroad = tax free up till 90K a year. Other than that it's what you negotiate into your contract.
        That's what I heard.

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
        You build helicopters? i.e. manufacturing? Look into getting your A&P license. A&P mechanics make quite a bit in the middle east, Heli's are used alot for oil and gas in Dubai and the Emirates, I am still tempted to go work there for a few years you get paid very well with bonus after 5 years and the likes, in the neighbourhood of 150k and up. However most companies require around 4 years of experience on type before they will hire you, Bell 412 time is good, AW-139 is the new technology but they are having some major teething problems. Now if you want to go to the dark side Blackwater operates a fleet of Bell mediums and is involved in alot of shady CIA ops, on the plus side I think they hire some apprentices.
        Yes....I build 500/900 series Notar/T-tail helicopters for www.mdhelicopters.com . I dont have my A&P and really dont want it. I can go take the test for my A right now if I wanted to. I have been an aircraft electrician for almost 13 years. I guess I will see where the overseas job takes me. Starting salary should be around 200k....

Comment

Working...
        X