Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap your mind around this!

The world's only immortal animal

The turritopsis nutricula species of jellyfish may be the only animal in the world to have truly discovered the fountain of youth.
    Since it is capable of cycling from a mature adult stage to an immature polyp stage and back again, there may be no natural limit to its life span. Scientists say the hydrozoan jellyfish is the only known animal that can repeatedly turn back the hands of time and revert to its polyp state (its first stage of life).
    The key lies in a process called transdifferentiation, where one type of cell is transformed into another type of cell. Some animals can undergo limited transdifferentiation and regenerate organs, such as salamanders, which can regrow limbs. Turritopsi nutricula, on the other hand, can regenerate its entire body over and over again. Researchers are studying the jellyfish to discover how it is able to reverse its aging process.
    Because they are able to bypass death, the number of individuals is spiking. They're now found in oceans around the globe rather than just in their native Caribbean waters. "We are looking at a worldwide silent invasion," says Dr. Maria Miglietta of the Smithsonian Tropical Marine Institute.
    Bryan Nelson is a regular contributor to Mother Nature Network, where a version of this post originally appeared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUICK, KILL THEM ALL!

Game over.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Humans will live 400 years by the close of this century. Mark my words oh internet, mark my words.

Comment

thats some crazy stuff!
        Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
        past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
          Game over.
          haha

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Humans will live 400 years by the close of this century. Mark my words oh internet, mark my words.
            Haha Farbin you dumbass. How is that even possible? There would have to be 300 year olds running marathons right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
              Haha Farbin you dumbass. How is that even possible? There would have to be 300 year olds running marathons right now.
              Bring people back from the dead

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Lets hope they never figure out how to do that to humans, the world is getting overpopulated as it is.

Comment

google nano technology as it relates to delivery of drugs and mechanized robotics able to repair/fix genetic/disease/physical issues within the human body

this tech is coming, and by the time my kids are in their 60's (40yrs) it wil lengthen lifespans to where it will be common to live well past 100yrs, have a career, retire, and have a second career and retire again
                  “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

lol @ math fail.
                    in all seriousness, if people start living that long we will be having some serious population problems.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                    If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Or you could look at it as saying in the year 2100 the average life expectancy is 400 years.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                        Or you could look at it as saying in the year 2100 the average life expectancy is 400 years.
                        But how do you have a life expectancy based on no data, beyond possibly animal research? I see what you are saying though, really just an argument of semantics

I think once all this technology that is being hyped up starts to come out, humans will be virtually immortal as one technology lets you live until the next one comes out allowing you to live even longer, and so on and so on.
                        "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

we all gonna die in 2012 so it doesnt matter:drink:
                          Originally posted by e30e
                          lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                            google nano technology as it relates to delivery of drugs and mechanized robotics able to repair/fix genetic/disease/physical issues within the human body

this tech is coming, and by the time my kids are in their 60's (40yrs) it wil lengthen lifespans to where it will be common to live well past 100yrs, have a career, retire, and have a second career and retire again
                            Nano tech is mostly just speculative right now and you really can't trust speculation. 50 years ago everybody thought we would have flying cars and bases on Mars by now.

Even if it's possible to stop or slow down the aging process, people would still die from cancer.

Comment

You can't beat mother nature. She will win every single time.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X