Ebay Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay Fees

I haven't sold anything on ebay for about a year until today, I know the final value fees have been slowly climbing over the years but WOW it's outrageous now. I sold an item for $119 in a very plain regular auction with no special features. Total cost for final value fee+ listing fee was $12.31, couple that with a $4.27 paypal fee and we have close to $17 on a $119. That's nuts. Back in the day (a few short years ago) I used to buy and sell a lot of R/C cars and it would litterally cost me like $7-9 in combined fees to sell a $150-200 item.

When you factor in your time/energy it's pointless to sell anything for less than $50. Especially if you report the income to the IRS and the pay taxes on top of it.

/rant :x

which is why i use craigslist to sell my shit now

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
    And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Yea. They are getting greedy. I hope they get even more greedy. Cause that's what it's going to take to knock them off their throne.

BTW - It's percentage based, so selling a $50 is not pointless. It's about the same 10%.

In ebay's defense, they are doing advertising for you - hosting, and have a few tools. But - I'd really like to see them open up analytics more - or maybe I'm not enough of a power seller yet? I'd like to get some free info (that they are tracking anyways) - shouldn't be anything for them to open up.

What really pisses me off is the feedback system. I was in a coma for a fucking month, and sorry, I couldn't ship - I was hooked up to a machine. I got all negative feedback from everything that was listed that month - and they won't remove it. How fucked up is that?

Also - ebay users are ass-hats. You sell something, the buyer doesn't know how to install it, instead of contacting you for help, or a refund, or just to give you a head up, they just slam you with negative feedback.

I'm going to get a second ebay ID - I'll sell stuff I know I won't get negative feedback from on one, and use the other as a dumping ground for lower end stuff that attracts the idiots.

urrrr. Ebay is great - if you have really, really low expectations.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        Yea. They are getting greedy. I hope they get even more greedy. Cause that's what it's going to take to knock them off their throne.

BTW - It's percentage based, so selling a $50 is not pointless. It's about the same 10%.

In ebay's defense, they are doing advertising for you - hosting, and have a few tools. But - I'd really like to see them open up analytics more - or maybe I'm not enough of a power seller yet? I'd like to get some free info (that they are tracking anyways) - shouldn't be anything for them to open up.

What really pisses me off is the feedback system. I was in a coma for a fucking month, and sorry, I couldn't ship - I was hooked up to a machine. I got all negative feedback from everything that was listed that month - and they won't remove it. How fucked up is that?

Also - ebay users are ass-hats. You sell something, the buyer doesn't know how to install it, instead of contacting you for help, or a refund, or just to give you a head up, they just slam you with negative feedback.

I'm going to get a second ebay ID - I'll sell stuff I know I won't get negative feedback from on one, and use the other as a dumping ground for lower end stuff that attracts the idiots.

urrrr. Ebay is great - if you have really, really low expectations.
        Between ebay and paypal it's about %15 on $100, more on cheaper items actually because the listing fee is the same. Maybe not pointless but at some point the profit is really not worth the effort and time IMO.

Agreed on the feedback, the only negative feedback I've ever had was from some ass hat that bought a CPU from me like 5 years ago. I stated in the auction that it was untested because I didn't have a motherboard to test it in. I was pretty damn sure it was good but I wrote in big red letters that it was sold as-is and in unknown condition to cover my ass. So this guy wins the auction for like half of the normal selling value because of this, then waits almost two months and then says its dead and he wants a refund. I would've been happy to oblige had he contacted me within a few days of receiving it...but 50 days later? Yea no way bud.

Comment

Yeah, I had some moron bid on three alarm keypads from our old, dead alarm system. I also wrote in big red letters that it was being sold as0s and untested AND I stated that the panel had been struck by lightning. He won the keypads for way less than normal selling price (as would be expected) then had the nerve to ask for a refund when ONE of the keypads didn't work. Seriously?
          1997 540i/6 - stock
          1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
          1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

This is exactly why I state in my auctions that the buyer is responsible for the paypal fees on top of the selling price. Once the auction is closed, i bill them for the item plus the fees. I haven't had once bitchy buyer yet.
            Originally posted by jrhaile
            For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Comment

Originally posted by dvmotorsports View Post
              This is exactly why I state in my auctions that the buyer is responsible for the paypal fees on top of the selling price. Once the auction is closed, i bill them for the item plus the fees. I haven't had once bitchy buyer yet.
              wait until ebay nails you to the wall over that.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by dvmotorsports View Post
                yea, that's against the rules.

I sell quite a bit on ebay. The fees suck, but there really isnt a better alternative.
                Last edited by 2002maniac; 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I used to inflate my handling fee to cover most of that cost. Its an auction so it ends up being a wash on people who actually take shipping/handling into account but its just the way it is.

Although I stopped selling on Ebay because my last sale they held my payment for a month for me to ship the item, the guy to leave pos feedback and then another two weeks just for the fun of it. I am going to have to figure out another method for payment because I refuse to ship something until I know the money is in my account. If some fucker decides to fuck around I am out the item and the money and have to trust paypal to take care of me, which I dont.

All this for someone who has never, ever had negative feedback in the 9 years I have had an account with both companies (ebay + paypal).
                  Im now E30less.
                  sigpic

Comment

craigslist +9
                    1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                    1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                    1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                    1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                    1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                    I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
                      I used to inflate my handling fee to cover most of that cost. Its an auction so it ends up being a wash on people who actually take shipping/handling into account but its just the way it is.

Although I stopped selling on Ebay because my last sale they held my payment for a month for me to ship the item, the guy to leave pos feedback and then another two weeks just for the fun of it. I am going to have to figure out another method for payment because I refuse to ship something until I know the money is in my account. If some fucker decides to fuck around I am out the item and the money and have to trust paypal to take care of me, which I dont.

All this for someone who has never, ever had negative feedback in the 9 years I have had an account with both companies (ebay + paypal).
                      Yeah, fuck that. I wait until the money clears to ship.
                      1997 540i/6 - stock
                      1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                      1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                        wait until ebay nails you to the wall over that.
                        Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                        yea, that's against the rules.
                        I honestly had no idea. Well I guess I should probably stop doing that.
                        Originally posted by jrhaile
                        For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Comment

Ebay is insanse. I sell misc plates and crap on there but when I owned my stereo bus was selling 100's of items a week some as expensive as 8k. They just killed it with fee's then the feedback system changed and the introduced the star system. It was game over for selling on there for some time. However there is not other avenue for selling yet. Craigsliist is good but not for 1-20 dolalr items.

Tyler

http://www.europeanplates.com Build and Preview plates
                          R3V Discount Code = R3V2012

Comment

Originally posted by europeanplates View Post
                            Craigsliist is good but not for 1-20 dolalr items.

Tyler

The problem with craigslist is you never know how long it'll take to sell. On ebay as long as you make the price somewhat reasonable, it'll sell in 3 days. Usually less for me because I always put a buy it now price.

And with ebay you list it and don't have to worry about it much, maybe answer a couple questions.

But craigslist you get constantly nagged by imbeciles that want to give you half your asking price and want you to delived it to them 100 miles away etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X