Cursor jumping while typing - Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursor jumping while typing - Windows 7

Ok, this is driving me fucking bonkers. Ever since I switched to Windows 7, my computer has been doing this thing where when I'm typing in a text field (in either Chrome or FF), after a few words, my cursor will just jump to somewhere else on the page and start typing there, or I will start typing random keyboard shortcuts that close windows, take me back to pages, etc. I have no idea what is causing it, and it's making me insane.

I'm on a Dell laptop with fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, using mainly FF. Is it possibly some kind of keyboard or trackpad driver that didn't get installed that is making the cursor jump around? I NEVER use the trackpad, I always have a mouse.

Your palms are very very very slightly touching the capacitive touchpad.

Plug in an external keyboard and I guarantee you you will never see it happen again. I do it all the time and it drives me bonkers

edit: You may be able to disable your touchpad while and external pointing device is plugged in as well, ala http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/05/d...top-avoid.html
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
      Ok, this is driving me fucking bonkers. Ever since I switched to Windows 7, my computer has been doing this thing where when I'm typing in a text field (in either Chrome or FF), after a few words, my cursor will just jump to somewhere else on the page and start typing there, or I will start typing random keyboard shortcuts that close windows, take me back to pages, etc. I have no idea what is causing it, and it's making me insane.

I'm on a Dell laptop with fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, using mainly FF. Is it possibly some kind of keyboard or trackpad driver that didn't get installed that is making the cursor jump around? I NEVER use the trackpad, I always have a mouse.
      Have the pages fully loaded when you start typing? or does it finish loading as you are typing?

Comment

what Kruzen said. I had a battle with the touchpad on my laptop for a while. so i turned it off and ran with a mouse for a few months. problem solved

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

How do I disable the touchpad in Windows 7? There was a whole sub-category for it before, but without having installed any of the Dell drivers when I reinstalled, I don't know how to do it. It works, but I don't use it.

Comment

Not all that familiar with Windows 7, but I'd look in the control panel for the mouse settings and see if there is something in there.

Comment

Use the Fn key with whichever key at the top of your keyboard that disables touchpad

Should disable it completely and then just redo it if you want your touchpad back...at least this is how it is on most laptops i've used .

also I assume you have a synaptics touchpad since most dells have that touchpad. Go to their website and install drivers. Then you should have all the settings to change like disable touchpad while typing or disable tap to click.
              87 OBDII 328is

Comment

I've been going through this for a while too. Thanks everyone... I'll switch over to a mouse and disable too.

Comment

Same thing happens to me Josh - you're not alone. I have an HP laptop (3 years old, running XP Pro & IE browser) and I get the cursor jump from time to time as well. Fortunately, HP installed a discrete button at the top-center of the mousepad bezel which disables it. Problem solved.

Jon
                  Rides...
                  1991 325i - sold :(
                  2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

i'm sure you can turn it off if you enable god mode:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
                    http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

If you go to Control Panel, then Mouse, then Device Settings, you should be able to disable the touchpad completely.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Hence why desktops > laptops.

Go into the device manager and disable it there.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                          Hence why desktops > laptops.

Go into the device manager and disable it there.
                          Uhhhhhh ok. Too bad desktops are on their way out.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                            Uhhhhhh ok. Too bad desktops are on their way out.
                            Laptops still come nowhere close to a nice solid desktop in terms of performance, and if they do, it might as well be considered a desktop because it will weigh 7lbs and get an hour of battery life.
                            Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                            Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
                              Laptops still come nowhere close to a nice solid desktop in terms of performance, and if they do, it might as well be considered a desktop because it will weigh 7lbs and get an hour of battery life.
                              This is true, laptops work for web browsing and streaming video but mine absolutely blow for games, even though it's numbers are way above the requirements. It even has a 1 gig nvidia card in it. It fucking runs way too hot for it's own good. I use the trusty old desktop for games. 5 years old and a 300 dollar refresh in modern components and it can run most new games.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X