Dual DSL Connection Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual DSL Connection Suggestions?

So, I only have 7mb connection, and want to get a second 7mb connection and combine them into one wireless connection.

Dual WAN Router?

Halp!

Dual WAN router with Load Balancing is what you need. Or, if you have spare PC laying around you could load up a linux Distro on it and go that route. Depends how tech savvy you are.
    tasty

Comment

OMG! I'm gonna scream at the "help" from Qwest.

Chat InformationThank you for using Qwest.com. An Account Manager will be with you in just a moment. Your account information is confidential and protected by law. Advise our agent if you prefer that we don't use it to market bundled services. This has no effect on the service or offers we provide for you.

Chat InformationAll Qwest Account Managers are currently assisting others. You are currently number 3 in queue. Thank you for holding, and we will answer your chat in the order it was received.

Chat InformationThank you for contacting Qwest. My name is Becky L. (20213). How may I help you today?

Brandon: I was just scouring the site, trying to upgrade my very slow connection speed. I moved here over a year ago, and was informed when we signed up with you that there would be boosts in the connection speed coming soon. Coming from a 30+mb connection rate, having this 7mb was ok for a while, but you have not contacted us with the upgrade as we were informed.

Brandon: It was only supposed to be a few months as we were told.

Becky L. (20213): I will be happy to assist you.

Brandon: Thank you.

Becky L. (20213): I am very sorry I do not see what the person was looking at, I see at this time the 7M is the fastest, and there are no upgrades in the future at this time.

Brandon: Damnit. That was the only reason we signed up with you over our other options was the soon coming upgrade.

Brandon: Can I subscribe to a second account and bridge the DSL modems?

Brandon: for a 14mb connection?

Becky L. (20213): You mean put in another 7M at your home, with another modem?

Brandon: Yes, and bridge them via one wireless connection.

Becky L. (20213): Yes, I can order that for you.

Brandon: What are the costs involved, and do you guys package the hardware needed?

Brandon: Does a tech need to come out and wire the second connection? Are there any charges there?

Becky L. (20213): It would be another service which would be right now, $29.99 for six months. And then the modem is $99.00 or you can rent for $8.00 monthly and $14.99 shipping.

Brandon: Or I can use my own, right?

Becky L. (20213): If you want them to install the modem it is $49.99, but they will not connect the two services.

Becky L. (20213): If you have a compatible one.

Brandon: I'm talking about not two spereate connections, but two modems on one wireless router, not two seperate connections

Brandon: I do.

Brandon: Why did you guys send me one for free with my first account then?

Brandon: Just wondering, as I could save hardware issues

Becky L. (20213): We look it at is two separate connections. That was a promotion at the itme.

Becky L. (20213): Excuse me time.

Brandon: I understand, but I'm trying to boost the connection from a computer, not add access for more computers. I want one wireless connection at 14mb.

Brandon: will the two "seperate" connections functuon as one?

Brandon: excused.

Becky L. (20213): I know what you are trying to do Brandon. But we look at it as two separate services and you would have to figure out how to connect them to make 14M.

Brandon: I understand what you do. I'm not asking that, I'm asking if it is possible, if other customers do it, etc.

Brandon: You really are not being that helpful. I'm asking for help, and you are telling me to figure it out myself, for your services. Not a good practice from a customer standpoint.

Brandon: How does that sound to you from the other side of the table, I'm trying to resolve the lack of services you provide, and I get attitude, I'm sorry, just a bit offended.

Becky L. (20213): I am very sorry, I was not giving you attitude. Yes, other customers order two internet connections, to get a higher speed. But I am sorry we do not network that for you.

Brandon: I'm now being told that it is impossable, being as you wouldn't help me with the needed information.

Brandon: So, you were selling me something that I can't even do!

Brandon: StuartS July 20, 2010 at 05:27:03 Pacific If you are hoping to use the two DSL connections together to double your bandwidth the forget it, you cannot. Windows will only use one WAN connection at a time. What you can do is install a dual port router so that if one connection fails you will have an automatic fall back to the other. Stuart

Brandon: that last one is a quote.

Brandon: Are the staff not well trained in computer technology, and are simply salespeople?

Becky L. (20213): If you want to believe Stuart instead of me, that is your choice.

Brandon: Well, again, I'm the customer, not asking for your attitude.

Becky L. (20213): As I said I told you it would work.

Becky L. (20213): You decided to get another opinion. Then you tell me I am not helping you.

Brandon: if you know it can be done, but you can't tell me how as a paying customer, wanting the services you claim will work, but provide no evidence it is actually do-able.

Brandon: you say it will, but you can't inform me how?

Brandon: someone else gives a valid explaination on how it wont, but you simply implore me to assume you are right.

Brandon: I'm just looking for a straight answer.

Becky L. (20213): Brandon, we know alot of things will work, that doesn't mean that we will assist you in making it work. If that is not something we train the techs to do.

Brandon: Then you are not serving paying customers to the highest of your ability. Like that Sherrod chick from the USDA.

Becky L. (20213): Brandon, I am very sorry I am sure you are frustrated. I do not know why it is you assume I do not know what I am talking about, even though I have been here over 12 years. But it is kind of a waste of time if you do not believe me. .

Brandon: Can you provide a link, being as they don't train you as you said, but you know how?

Becky L. (20213): Maybe with that comment it is the Stuart is right VS Becky, there might be a gender thing going on.

Brandon: Shit, just tell me to buy a damn Dual WAN router and be done with it.

Brandon: I don't care if you are a shemale, gender has nothiong to do with this.

Becky L. (20213): Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Brandon: So, I will need to buy YOUR router, plus the monthly service then figure it out on my own to make it work, but you guarantee it will?

Brandon: Just to verify.

Brandon: And, I may need further, unnamed unspecified hardware to utilize your services?

Becky L. (20213): Once you find how it works, you will then know if you will need another modem.

Brandon: Now you are confusing me.

Brandon: Could you please elaborate?

Becky L. (20213): When you find what you need to connect the two services, it should also inform you if you need another modem, or can you connect them without an additional modem.

Brandon: So I need to go find out what to do to determine all on my own if I can use ytour services?

Brandon: This is not helpful.

Becky L. (20213): Why don't you talk to tech support.

Becky L. (20213): I recommend that you contact our DSL tech support staff by going to this page:

Becky L. (20213): http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/index.html

Becky L. (20213): and clicking on the online chat button towards the top of this page. Doing so will get you directly through to our DSL tech support staff on chat

Becky L. (20213): If you would prefer to call, please dial 1 877-348-9005.

Brandon: Will they answer these questions, or are you just pawning me off on them? I am a customer, and need help.

Brandon: Are they not trained like you said you weren't?

Becky L. (20213): I don't know if they will give you a general idea of how to do it or not.

Brandon: So you are gonna hand me off to someone that may have even less knowledge than you?

Brandon: This is terrible service.

Brandon: I will be sharing this with the interwebz. They will know.

Becky L. (20213): I can't tell you how to do it.

Becky L. (20213): We have established that.

Becky L. (20213): So I don't know what else I can assist you with. If there is something let me know.

Brandon: Nope. I'm done with you. You were not a help. Is there a dislike button on this chat window?

Comment

OK, so just buy a Dual WAN, plug the two DSL "out" into the D-WAN and then setup? I have not had an extra PC around for a few years now.

Comment

Wow, is cable an option for you? Usually you'll see much faster speeds with cable or Fios.

Check out the DLink DI-LB604: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452

Cable sounds like it would be superior to 2 of your DSL connections:

tasty

Comment

There is no cable out here. It's satellite TV only. They just bumped the max package here up to 7mb from 1.5mb about a year ago.

Then two min later...

Comment

FFFFUUUUUUU...Yea, guess you should go the Dual WAN route. I've heard good things about that router i linked ya.
              tasty

Comment

So, find a used one? Says discontinued in 2008.

EDIT: Finding referbs and used units.

Comment

2024 Math-linux.com. Knowledge base dedicated to Linux and applied mathematics.
                  Originally posted by george graves

Are you kidding me? That nerd doesn't even know how his dick works, let alone a car.

Comment

Originally posted by s0urce View Post
                    Wow I hate you!!

http://www.jfalesphotography.com
                    91 318is m50nv - New toy/project
                    95 540i - Wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      So, find a used one? Says discontinued in 2008.

EDIT: Finding referbs and used units.
                      No, go with the Cisco Rv042!

tasty

Comment

Dude that speed is terribad. Do you know if that speed is typical for the area? How far are you from the CO? I would get in touch with some line technicians and have them check the wiring between the CO and your house. If you really live out in the sticks the copper pairs might not be up to snuff. As far as load balancing goes I really like pfSense. Hardware wise it's cheap as dirt, just an old computer and a couple of NICs. However if you haven't toyed around with Linux/BSD much it may be somewhat daunting. Sorry, I'm not really sure what your technical level is.
                        $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Dude, I'm so far out in the sticks it's not funny. Six houses down from me they can't even subscribe to 7mb DSL because of distance from CO, they only get 1.5m. It's copper pair issue, and they are not upgrading out here within the next 5 years. For reference, I live on a two mile long section of road with maybe 40 houses on it. We are outside of city limits, and are not the priority to them.

Yeah, it kinda sounds daunting, I want to buy something, take it out of the box and set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            Dude, I'm so far out in the sticks it's not funny. Six houses down from me they can't even subscribe to 7mb DSL because of distance from CO, they only get 1.5m. It's copper pair issue, and they are not upgrading out here within the next 5 years. For reference, I live on a two mile long section of road with maybe 40 houses on it. We are outside of city limits, and are not the priority to them.

Yeah, it kinda sounds daunting, I want to buy something, take it out of the box and set it up.
                            That seriously sucks man. I have a good friend that was in the same boat; no cable and no DSL service. He tried a CDMA data card for a while but that was basically worthless. In the end he was finally able to get hooked up with a wireless broadband company and that has been working out pretty well for him thus far. I would just keep your eyes out for a load balancing router and then if you need help setting it up just call the manufacturer of the device. They would probably be more helpful than your ISP.
                            $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

lol my connection at work

i feel for you farbin. dsl blows.
                              http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                              X