Trollin' 4 deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trollin' 4 deep

Paul Harris: A law suit filed in New York threatens to hold the internet's more unpleasant characters to account

At last. Someone is standing up to the anonymous web trolls

A law suit filed in New York threatens to hold the internet's more unpleasant characters to account

It is one of the most irritating and ubiquitous annoyances of the internet age: the anonymous commenter. Hiding behind a made-up moniker, anonymous commenters surface on virtually every blog or news website, posting bile, insults, prejudice and ignorance, often for the sheer hell of it.
    In the free for all that has so far marked internet-based publishing, there seems to be no recourse for those targeted by the so-called "trolls".

Certainly not of the sort they would have if such comments were published in hard copy on the letters pages of old media newspapers and magazines, where the threat of libel has kept up standards. But, perhaps, no longer.
    A law suit filed last week in New York has threatened to hold some of the internet's more unpleasant denizens to account: a rare example of old media rules starting to be applied online.

The heroine of the tale is Carla Franklin, a former model and graduate of Columbia Business School. She is taking Google to court over anonymous comments that called her a "whore" on the firm's YouTube website. She is seeking a court order to force Google to identify the person behind the insult. According to her lawyer, Franklin already suspects a certain individual of posting the comments, but needs concrete confirmation before she can go after them in a court of law. She is claiming the insult, which was posted several times by the same YouTube user, was "… made with the intention to harm Ms Franklin's reputation and interfere with her relationships, employment and livelihood".

It is hard not to cheer Franklin's cause. Anonymous commenters claim that the cloak of secrecy allows greater frankness and honesty and means whistleblowers and others perhaps hampered by their jobs can post things online with greater safety. But in reality it is all too often just a handy excuse to be rude, juvenile or racist. Franklin is also riding a growing wave against anonymity online. Several American news websites, including the Buffalo News newspaper, have recently forced commenters to use their real names when posting their opinions on stories.

I'm not sure I consider her a 'heroine' because she found another reason to sue.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

what a whore

Comment

Wow just because you were called a whore on youtube...

edit- damn it gazelle! lol

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
        what a whore

hahaaha beat me to it.

Comment

I'm trying to find her video so I can comment 'whore' on it
          Originally posted by LJ851
          I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

So, she is a whore?

Comment

vid plz
              Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Whore? Where? I love whores.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                  I'm trying to find her video so I can comment 'whore' on it
                  It's private, apparently you need a friend request to view it? Didn't know youtube had a friend system.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Chocolate Whore.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Would she sue someone if they called her a whore to her face?
                      Originally posted by george graves
                      Is that Hitler having a Juicy Juice in your avatar?
                      Originally posted by Raxe
                      yes :(
                      Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                      I FUCKING LOVE JUICE. a

Comment

not hot, don't care
                        sigpic
                        "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by joshuafr View Post
                          Would she sue someone if they called her a whore to her face?
                          if no one is in the room it is a confrontation, if there is someone else present it is slander, if it is in writing either in print or on internet it is liable.
                          Brian Jacobs

Comment

i see
                            Originally posted by george graves
                            Is that Hitler having a Juicy Juice in your avatar?
                            Originally posted by Raxe
                            yes :(
                            Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                            I FUCKING LOVE JUICE. a

Comment

Inb4 whore

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                              RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Working...
                              X