The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how big of an Ol'Boy you are.
    But a nice Suzuki 650 VEE Strom is a great starter bike. good enough to tour on or commute. One thing i noticed is you said you have no or very little street riding experience.
    I would for sure go take a Motorcycle safety course. I never did but then I started riding in my late teens been doing it since 74.
    And one more thing if you have that bad of ADD and you meds. I would skip it like you said.
    But if you are hell bent, go slow take your time, take a class, and as we say always, always. Ride your own ride. Don't be pressured into hauling butt around a corner. or going 100 mph+ Always be alert. Its fun but it freaking dangerous deal Cagers are idiots.
    They don't see you , they don't care. they will kill you or put you in a wheel chair.
    If this sounds extreme, Its because i want you to approach this with eyes wide open
    Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

Make sure that medication doesn't interfere with your concentration. You need a 360 field of vision as much as possible that you're able to focus with.

That includes in the morning, in the day, at night, when you're pissed, when you're crying, when you're super tired, when it's too cold and etc. All of that translates more on 2 wheels. If your meds do anything like my anti depressants did, you might not want to already be on a roller coaster ride before ever get on a bike!

Comment

Well fuck, looks like yet another thing from the very top of my list of life priorities I probably have to skip, I've wanted a bike for 20 years but just now can kinda afford one (I come from the midwest where a motorcycle is strictly a luxury item). My ability to focus, even on ADD meds, is so poor that driving a car concerns me at times, and then all the other meds make me shaky/dizzy a lot (I take like 15 pills a day). It takes me several hours each morning wake up, I am ALWAYS tired, and my utter lack of depth perception surely is not beneficial either.

I wouldn't let this shit completely stop me, its not like I have that much to live for, but if I can't commute on it there's no use in my having one, it will just sit here collecting rust annoying my landlord. I literally have nowhere to go but work and school, and little free time beyond that if I was going to just get something to putt around on. I just didn't want to wait until 50 to learn to ride, say if things get less crazy for me in the next few years and I start having free time again.

Well, thanks anyway, maybe down the road it will be something I can revisit.
        sigpic
        1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

No rush! You have plenty to live for!

Comment

hey look there is so much more to life then riding a Motorcycle.
            "I wouldn't let this shit completely stop me, its not like I have that much to live for"
            Well fact is, You do have things to live for. You might now know it, but all of us touch people in so many ways. The problem is, mostly we are unaware of our impact on other people.

Comment

I agree, bikes can be awesome, but very dangerous and require COMPLETE concentration at all times to cover even small distances, that you usually took for granted when in a car.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                Well fuck, looks like yet another thing from the very top of my list of life priorities I probably have to skip, I've wanted a bike for 20 years but just now can kinda afford one (I come from the midwest where a motorcycle is strictly a luxury item). My ability to focus, even on ADD meds, is so poor that driving a car concerns me at times, and then all the other meds make me shaky/dizzy a lot (I take like 15 pills a day). It takes me several hours each morning wake up, I am ALWAYS tired, and my utter lack of depth perception surely is not beneficial either.

I wouldn't let this shit completely stop me, its not like I have that much to live for, but if I can't commute on it there's no use in my having one, it will just sit here collecting rust annoying my landlord. I literally have nowhere to go but work and school, and little free time beyond that if I was going to just get something to putt around on. I just didn't want to wait until 50 to learn to ride, say if things get less crazy for me in the next few years and I start having free time again.

Well, thanks anyway, maybe down the road it will be something I can revisit.
                Have you had a sleep study done? Sounds like you may have narcolepsy. My wife has that.

You can get a grom for like $3k. They are great for going around town.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

XR650R supermoto here

Can't wait for spring!
                  1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
                  1988 320i Touring

Comment

some of my past Guzzi's in no particular order

and my old BMW R75/6 i think white krauser bags, and my E21 with Zender body body kit 9 man i miss that car)

one more pic cause I think the Norge is one sexy Motorcycle i should never have sold it.

No a guzzi but still a 90 deg Vee 4 my current ride a Honda ST1100
                    Last edited by lti_57; 01-23-2016, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti_57 View Post
                      and my old BMW R75/6 i think white krauser bags, and my E21 with Zender body body kit 9 man i miss that car)
                      Hey I have one of those R75/6, current state of it atm :nice:

Comment

they are fun bike easy to work on.
                        i do this to every bike i buy at some point.

Even when i bought my Norge brand new i took it apart to make sure it was put togther right

Comment

Spring is near so prepping the ST for another year on the road.

Comment

Supermoto is coming along.

Comment

Found these photos of my old baby. We had some good times.

My S4 has become an acceptable replacement in the speed department, but no cage could compare to the experience. I miss it dearly.

But alas, I now have a family to provide for, and they couldn't maintain their lifestyle without me (single income household).... So I have hung up the helmet, for now.

Back story, I've been down 3 times in about 30,000 miles. I put 15,000 miles on my 636 in 2 years. Looped it once learning about balance points. Next season I hit a deer at about 75mph, finishing off. Walked away from both, bruised and rashed.

The CBR died a stupid, sensless death. I was excited to ride, and took it to work in just above freezing temps. There's a U-turn to leave my old job. Cold tire, cold asphault, just a little too much throttle = high sided. Rode the bike home, found out I broke my elbow. They totaled the bike over a nick in the frame.

I am an experienced rider, I started on dirtbikes and atv's when I was 10. Took a riders safety course when I got my license. The whole saying about two kinds of riders is absolutely true.

Stay safe out there, rubber side down! You never know when a deer is going to leap out of that corn field on the way to the last big bike night of the season.
                              Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 02-28-2016, 06:42 AM.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Damn, not the greatest of luck there. I could say that you're just not observant but that doesn't seem to be the case for deer situations haha. Hope the ol' lady lets you get that weekend machine some time in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X