1987 325es + SETA Turbo - This thing is going to explode immediately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325es + SETA Turbo - This thing is going to explode immediately

Hey guys, I feel like my car is finally far enough along to start a build thread so here it is.

I bought my first E30 a few months back, a fairly clean 1987 325es with a totally stock drivetrain and clean sport interior. I ended finding the car on Craigslist while at work and calling the dude who already had another offer on it (it had been for sale for 2 hours). He told me the other guy offered to buy it but couldn't have the cash till the next day so I told him to hold it, I'd be there in 3 hours.

So I drove up to Detroit and made the deal, I couldn't believe how clean the underside was being in the salt belt. Apparently the car was from CA and had been in MI for 3 years.

Anyway being an ETA I decided this thing needs power ASAP. I picked up a sorta running SETA on craigslist for $200 to build up. I have a separate build thread for the engine http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376415 but I'll bring some pics over here.

Basics:

SETA bottom end
    O-ring'd block
    All new bearings/seals/rings
    Kinugawa TD06SL2-20G
    Good-n-tight manifold
    38mm turbosmart ultragate 38 wastegate
    50mm Tial Q bov
    MSPNP from Kamotors with wasted spark and boost control
    GM wasted spark with new MSD coils
    325i intake manifold
    Ebay intercooler
    custom 3" turbo back exhaust
    Bimmerheads head with 280/274 dual pattern cam and welded water jackets

so thats basicaly how the motor sits now. Just waiting on the flywheel to be resurfaced at my local NAPA. I went with an ebay 6 puck clutch, it was cheap so we'll see how it works out. I did buy an SKF release bearing and a Timkin pilot bearing to replace the Chinese garbage that came with the clutch kit.

So in the mean time I got to work on the car.

mounted up this beast

and wired up the wasted spark module

Finally I ripped the tired old ETA out

Tight fit with the ceiling

And lastly I got started on swapping the E36 rack into the car. The column joint is extremely seized to the column so thats fun.

So that's where it sits now. I'm hoping to get the new engine dropped in within a couple weeks, just waiting on some radiator hoses from IE and that flywheel/new bots.

As for the future, the plan is to get it together and break the engine in on the 7lb spring, then turn up the boost until I'm happy with the power (famous last words).

I'm still on the lookout for a cheap used set of IE3 or H&R race springs as well as some IE sway bars. For now I'll just run the 4X4 suspension with hilarious body roll. I am planning on running autoX this summer so the suspension needs to happen somewhat soon.
    1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
    1988 320i Touring

Cool build, I'll be keeping my eye on this as I'm doing a very similar build this summer

Comment

Made some progress this weekend so far.

Got the flywheel, clutch, and transmission installed on the engine.

And welded up the subframe reinforcements.

Finally got the motor dropped in its final resting place (until inevitable blowing up of course). It was a bit of a pain getting everything lined up but we finally got it.

That's how she sits now. Now I need to run through and hook everything back up. Then it's exhaust and charge pipe time. It's so close I can taste it!
      1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
      1988 320i Touring

Comment

Well I got the downpipe fab'd up today including a nice flex pipe. All 3". I still need to add the bottom v band and an O2 sensor bung.

Not sure about this fusion weld on a down pipe, I might go back over it with some filler.

1988 320i Touring

Comment

Damn, nice progress. Looks like it will be a beast once it's running.

Comment

Very nice. This is the kind of car I was hoping would pop up when I was looking for my E30. It is going to make a nice sleeper.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Sleeper look is what I'm after. I will do suspension before too long but I think the big ol diving boards help with the sleeper look.
              1988 320i Touring

Comment

I bet you'll be pretty hard pressed to blow it up ;) love it. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

I got a bit done this weekend.

Radiator is in, wiring harness is in minus a bunch of little plugs that I need to figure out, spark plug wires are terminated, c104 plug has been jumped over to the c101, and the downpipe now has an O2 bung. Also engine has oil in it and the power steering lines are finalized.

I got the mega squirt plugged in and powered up too. I wanted to make sure the starter circuit was good by just bumping the starter.

Turned the key, fuel pump primed like normal but I got nothing when I turned the key. Not sure if it's the fact that I'm running the early eta starter with the late 325i harness or what. I'll look into it later. For now basically all that's needed for first start is to hook up the water lines for the turbo, fill it with coolant, wire the coils to the rs232 plug, plumb vacuum lines, and figure out my starter circuit issue.
                  1988 320i Touring

Comment

It lives!

Turns out there are two spades on the early eta starter, I was on the one that's not completely hidden before lol.

Anyway once I figured that out and wired up my coils i just had to see if it would fire up.

Still no coolant in the engine at all, also zero vacuum lines hooked up other than the FPR.

First start after a full rebuild. SETA bottom end, i head, turbo cam, TD06-20G, 60lb injectors,megasquirt.

Up next is figuring out how to hook up my turbo water lines since the barbs on the turbo side take 1/2" hose and the engine side looks like maybe 3/8. Then I just need to tidy up the wiring, replace the slave cylinder hose I somehow broke, and start figuring out the charge pipes and vacuum stuff.
                    Last edited by Steve o 77; 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM.
                    1988 320i Touring

Comment

in for inevitable blow up

Comment

Getting closer! Throttle body side charge pipes are made, BOV flange is welded to the pipe, vacuum stuff is figured out, water lines are finished, and I was able to run the engine for about a minute just to check everything over for leaks, all looks and sounds good.

1988 320i Touring

Comment

You should run a dizzy cap delete! They are super easy to make

Comment

I plan to, once it's running reliably I'll move on to the cosmetic stuff.
                            1988 320i Touring

Comment

Looking great so far. Are you close to Cleveland? Who did the block work?
                              89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
                              99 540it
                              86 Volvo 240 wagon
                              99 Cherokee
                              13 Passat

Comment

Working...
                              X