Urban Exploring - Hobby of yours?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by payney8
    Id love to know the story behind that powerstation. How do these places get like this? Surely somebody most own them.
    The power plant I posted photos from the other day was part of a large steel mill. The exhaust from the mill was used to spin the turbines of the power plant which in turn was used to power the mill.

    The mill closed down in the 1980s or so, which is when a lot of the steel industry was in decline and the large integrated mills were being replaced by mini-mills or were replaced by cheaper production outside of the more developed parts of the world.

    The former mill has since been partially turned into a museum, the power plant one day will be turned into part of the museum as well once the museum has more funding to properly convert it.

    It's pretty cool how in Europe (especially Germany) they turn most old steel mills, coal mines, power plants, etc into museums. Often time they are open gate and you have free reign of the place with little to no supervision and often with no fences or gates to keep you out of anything. It's a shame, thanks to the litigious nature of the US, that we don't have more of that here.

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    kts' European Vacation, part 5

    In my last tale I mentioned how we headed off to parts unknown. I
    forgot that before we arrived at our hotel we tried to take shots of
    one more location, a train station depo that is home ton a ton of
    abandoned trains. Due to the very, very long drive I was beat so I
    ended up taking a nap inside the car while hobos and rail yard workers
    walked past my car ignoring me while mANVIL and msb took photos of
    trains.

    Trains suck.

    The following morning we woke up early yet again to see some pretty
    famous forges, the Forges De Clabecq. Under going the world's slowest
    demolition since 2008 or maybe before it looks like they are finally
    going to be gone soon, if they aren't already. dsankt went there a
    few months before we did and comparing his photos to ours a lot of the
    place has been demolished in the 6 months or so between his visit and
    ours.

    In fact someone got this pretty nifty video of the first blast furnace
    being demolished here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcKgobric9M

    A very cool place to finally see with my own eyes. We apparently got
    there during an early morning lunch break since maybe 45 minutes into
    our visit the site roared up with activity again from the rally
    driving security guard to a ton of workers moving heavy machinery all
    over the place. We tried to keep ourselves hidden and then made our
    exit having missed a large part of the facility closer to where the
    demo work was going on.















    After getting my fancy UE polo shirt caught on the fence here and
    tearing a big hole in the back of it we headed off for a fun drive
    through the country which eventually landed us at a large (compared to
    the rest of the town around it) brewery. While the neighborhood was
    packed with what looked to be a large turkish population somehow we
    fit in naturally with our pale skin and tripods. They ignored us as
    we walked past the open gate and into a complex that looks like it
    could be used for a WW2 film set.



    So many glorious bottles








    He hit the road for more sites and had a few failures. Lots of
    activity, freshly boarded/welded doors and windows and a few wrong
    directions from the GPS. As it was getting dark we hit up our last
    spot, a large hospital complex where at times it was hard to tell what
    was abandoned and what was active. Being tired and lazy we took a
    look at a few of them sans tripods and then headed out. After seeing
    some photos from inside of these places I wish we had explored them a
    bit more and taken photos. All I got was this one exterior.



    With darkness coming we headed back to Chateau Formule 1 where we
    cleaned up and headed off to Chez Doner Kebab to have the best meal
    ever and laugh with the owner of the place who found it hysterical
    that 3 guys from the US would keep coming back to his Doner Kebab
    place.

    Leave a comment:


  • homegrone30
    replied
    I wish we had more old abandoned structures in Austin this seems like a good time.

    Leave a comment:


  • payney8
    replied
    Id love to know the story behind that powerstation. How do these places get like this? Surely somebody most own them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Peterkaczynski
    replied
    some really great photos here

    Leave a comment:


  • STAGGERED M3
    replied
    Originally posted by dinanm3atl
    3 different places. Paint Factory. Prison. Battery Factory.




    I can watermark it and send the high res?




    Well duh... I hadn't been there so I was exploring :)

    DINAN can I have a high res pic as well? Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    I googled it and ended up at a site for the sub base at balaclava in the ukrane, weird.

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by der affe
    Kts, is the terre rouge a submarine base?
    It looks like that from the bottom. It was an iron ore furnace. The bottom level there I assume used to flow hot molten iron. It has since flooded and thus the river of water slowing moving through it and it looking like a submarine base.

    Terre rouge translates to red earth which I guess fits this place with the iron ore.

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    kts' European Vacation, part 4

    After the random after hours rave party woke us up at our last
    location we all tried to get a little bit more sleep before our 5am
    wake up call. Still extremely groggy we headed out at 5am to our
    first stop which was a short drive away.

    That stop was Chateau Noisy. I've seen tons of photos of it and I
    have wanted to go see it for years and now I was finally getting my
    chance. Bartje was pretty tired from all the driving and had been to
    Noisy a few times so he decided to sleep in his car while Martino lead
    us up the path into Noisy. It was around this time I learned one of
    my favorite exploring phrases, "The Belgian Fence". No it's not some
    bizarre sex act, it's a fence that only goes around the front of a
    building, or part of a path. They are all over Belgium. I don't know
    if fences are bought on an installment plan over there or if they
    think that just fencing off the front of a building will keep people
    out but we saw "Belgian fences" all over the place in Belgium and
    Noisy was no different. To make people stop dead in their tracks
    along the path to Noisy someone installed a 10 foot section of fence
    in the middle of the path. Instead of keeping people out they now
    just have to walk a few feet to the right or left of the fence to get
    around it.

    After we got around the super hard fence of death we had fun getting
    up the super hard hill of death and rising out of the early morning
    fog we got our first view of Noisy.



    Inside it was more trashed and collapsing in on itself that I would
    have thought. A sad state of affairs inside.













    I had a fun time climbing up the missing stairs of death to get to the
    top of the clocktower to take in the view. The only thing more fun
    than the way up was the way down.


    The view


    We heard a lot of noise and thought it might be the caretaker of the
    place but fortunately it turned out to just be a bunch of French
    explorers.

    One last look before heading out


    From there we made the long drive to Luxembourg to meet up with
    another explorer. We met up with them and headed off into Germany.
    Upon reaching the German border our Luxembourg friends took off on the
    autobahn in their Audi S6 wagon. Bartje in his pretty fast Volvo also
    took off. Myself in my lowly rented Skoda could not keep up and I
    lost them. A quick phone call and several minutes of waiting by the
    road side for the faster cars and I was able to catch up. Eventually
    we made our way to a recently closed down hospital. Tons of stuff
    were still inside and the place still had power. Unlock the doors and
    it could be taking in patients.

    Sterile










    We had fun playing doctor in here for a little while.


    After we got our fill of photos and pretending to be doctors we headed
    off to a pretty large power plant that is part of a larger complex.
    Taggers and scrappers have had a go at the place but it was still
    pretty cool and somewhat intact.












    We finished up and it was the end of a long weekend of exploring. We
    had hit 4 different countries on this Sunday alone. Our Luxembourg
    friends headed home as did Bartje and Martino. This left us in the
    middle of nowhere with no idea what we were going to do next. We
    picked a direction and headed to parts unknown to find a hotel and
    figure out what we would explore the following day. About 30 minutes
    into the drive mANVIL and msb passed out leaving me to try to stay
    awake for the 2+ hour drive to where we eventually found a hotel.

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    Kts, is the terre rouge a submarine base?

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    One of the best threads

    Leave a comment:


  • FCB_M3
    replied


    I dont get out much.. Gaming a hobby? lol

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by A_Whelan
    This thread delivers. I did this for a while and I'd post pictures up but I stupidly deleted all of my shit on my external harddrive yesterday. I almost cried. Oh well.... more adventures soon.


    Best $29 I ever spent. As long as you haven't overwritten the photos that program will recover all of them.

    You can download the free version to see what it finds before you sell out the $ for the full version.

    Originally posted by A_Whelan
    And the Europe stories are awesome!
    Thanks! I'm finally editing the last 2 days of photos (11 and 12) so expect a few more posts. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • A_Whelan
    replied
    This thread delivers. I did this for a while and I'd post pictures up but I stupidly deleted all of my shit on my external harddrive yesterday. I almost cried. Oh well.... more adventures soon.

    And the Europe stories are awesome!

    Leave a comment:


  • tom d
    replied
    when i was a kid there was a closed nike missile site close to my home, complete with missile launchers. i was able to spent a lot time there before the vandals got a hold of it.

    Leave a comment:

Working...