Urban Exploring - Hobby of yours?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CW325
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3
    Has anyone explored Centralia Pa? The city with the huge coal deposit that has been burning since the early 80's?
    I've passed there a couple times and always wanted to check it out

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3
    Has anyone explored Centralia Pa? The city with the huge coal deposit that has been burning since the early 80's?
    Don't waste your time, it's really fucking boring. Just a few holes in the ground with steam coming out and a lot of shitty graffiti all around.

    Photo is from 2007. I've seen recently photos and the whole road is covered with tags now. :(


    There are far cooler things only miles away!









    Originally posted by dinanm3atl
    Need to get back out... Europe looks like a wonderful spot for UE. Like a mecca!
    Yea there is a ton of awesome stuff in Europe. they don't immediately demolish stuff like they have been in the US over the last few years.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pudmunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Str8 Rippin
    Finally a thread to dump my shiz in lol.

    Some of these shots were way back when I was developing my style so excuse the crazy HDR bs.
    Don't let the photo snobs dog you for HDR pictures... I love the style, much more interesting to me than a 'normal' picture. I'd take those in HDR over normal any day of the week.

    Leave a comment:


  • dinanm3atl
    replied
    Need to get back out... Europe looks like a wonderful spot for UE. Like a mecca!

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Has anyone explored Centralia Pa? The city with the huge coal deposit that has been burning since the early 80's?

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Looks very sketchy and kinda trashed. Gotta love the well beaten path around the no trespassing sign. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    lol I definitely won't disagree with you there. As you can see, there is a no tresspassing sign outside of it, with a very well beaten path right past it. Tons of locals and college kids are out there all the time.

    Leave a comment:


  • accident
    replied
    Man that dredge doesn't look safe at all.

    I'd love to get inside of it though. :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    Kinda disappointed, aparently the only pics I have relevant to this are crappy phone pics from one outing. Oh well, here they are.

    So basically this part of MI has a steep history in copper mining, the area is affectionately named the copper country and it doesn't take long to figure out why. Lots of old mines around, along with all the old buildings that were built to support the industry. Not exactly sure what the building was that the first couple pics are from.



    Next pics are from "The dredge." This was used to dredge out the Portage canal so that ore boats could cut through the center of the Keweenaw peninsula, thus saving a great amount of time by not having to go around the whole peninsula.

    As you can see, the dredge sits at quite an angle. For reference, my buddy in the next pic is standing straight up. Climbing through this structure was quite challenging for everyone, and I'm usually a very limber guy. It was crazy how much your frame of reference could get screwed up and throw you off balance.




    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by Nsquared97
    I need to not be lazy and upload a bunch of my stuff, may try to do it later tonight when I have more time. We have tons of old abandoned mines/factories up here in the copper country, and exploring them is one of my favorite passtimes.
    Please do, I would very much like to see them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    I need to not be lazy and upload a bunch of my stuff, may try to do it later tonight when I have more time. We have tons of old abandoned mines/factories up here in the copper country, and exploring them is one of my favorite passtimes.

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    kts' European Vacation, part 6

    on day one of my European adventure we tried to check out the horror
    labs. Things didn't work out that day but a worker there told us who
    to contact to get access to the place. With the help of mANVIL's
    broken french we got the OK and before we headed off to Germany we
    headed off to see the infamous horror labs.

    The horror labs as they are known in the UE world are the remnants of
    a former veterinary school. The former school is rapidly being turned
    into a new block of apartment buildings, if only the tenants knew what
    used to be stored and done in their apartments. The caretaker let us
    in and told us to have fun.

    We quickly headed upstairs to see what it held







    before heading down into the dark to see the true horrors of the horror labs

    (OMG long exposure.)


    After we finished and thanked the caretaker for showing us the place
    we got in the car and drove 500+ miles to our next destination deep in
    the heart of Germany. Along the way we made a little stop for a neat
    little castle, or schools are they are known in German. Schloss
    Rapunzel is a nice little castle in the woods in the middle of
    nowhere. A lot of it has been stripped away for some long ago
    restoration plan that fell through. It was interesting to see huge
    wood beams that appeared to be hundreds of years old in one room or a
    hallway when the next room over still has much of the grandeur that it
    did when it was finished sometime in the 18th century.



    Chapel


    Long ballroom that connected two wings of the castle




    One last look


    Clearly I look amused to be getting back in the car after the long
    drive, only to make another long drive to the final destination

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    I tried searching your site for high res shots.. I want this in high res :)
    yea i only upload web-sized stuff for posting online. i'll try to get you full sized shot. if you don't get a PM from me with a link to it in a few days drop me a PM since i'm a little busy with photo work at the moment and forget stuff at times.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I tried searching your site for high res shots.. I want this in high res :)

    Leave a comment:


  • accident
    replied
    oh my gawd those pictures are glorious

    Leave a comment:

Working...