professional mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

professional mechanic

i once suggested to my mom that i wanted to go to trade school to become an automotive tech. She exclaimed "why work on cars for a living when you could be designing them! You're going to college!" To be honest, being an automotive engineer would be great, but it seems like too much pressure to me. the auto industry is so competative. Im not interesting in doing a whole buch of physics and R&D to make new engines. I would rather be a auto mechanic or diesel mechanic and work on various cars and trucks... learning about the cars of my generation while getting a decent paycheck too. any of you guys on here work on cars, trucks, or even stationary engines for a living?

not any of that, but i am enrolled in a trade school; Nascar technical institute
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by previasc96 View Post
      Im not interesting in doing a whole buch of physics and R&D to make new engines.
      I'd love to do this.. But the opportunity isn't out there, even with a mechE degree. :???:

Comment

Originally posted by previasc96 View Post
        the auto industry is so competitive.
        stop being a whiny little bitch.

EVERY industry is competitive in the adult world. wake up.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

why not dream big man?
          Originally posted by z31maniac
          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            EVERY industry is competitive in the adult world. wake up.
            Hehehehe, no it's not. ;)
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

there's nothing wrong with turning wrenches for a living, if you love it go for it. just plan for the future, you can't do it forever.
              Originally posted by Dozyproductions
              You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

You cant live your life for your parents forever, live your life for you.

Comment

iam a UTI grad. working for a engine manufacturing company. (race engines only)
                  for the most part iam happy i went to that school, alot to be learned. i few of my classmates got into programs BMW,VW,audi. other classmates are working on diesel trucks,independent shops,dealers and some are not even in the automotive field working some dead end job.

there is good money to be made wrenching. ive seen automotive tech jobs working for southern california edison with a pay starting out at 17.50$ hr as a trainee!

althouh when i gradguated back in 07 the average pay for a UTI graduate was less than 12.00$hr
                  :borg:

Comment

I can tell you that there are two things you're going to be perpetually pissed off at:

1. Engineers haven't ever had to work on anything, and thus tend to design things that are easier to assemble (under corporate pressure, perhaps) than to work on.

2. Owners of said vehicles get pissed off about untimely maintenance/repairs and the associated costs and down-time for cars they already dropped huge cash on, simply because they don't understand what a cluster-fuck you're having to deal with.

Comment

Advice from the old.

Do something that wont beat the shit out of your body. Working on other people's cars is fun..... for a while. Then you're body breaks down and you find out you just wasted those years on being a mechanic instead of something you can keep doing till your 70+.

...that is if you don't make it working for a race team of course.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

If you think you'll enjoy cars after working on them for 30 years... If you think there's good money, or it's not competitive, or that you will have good opportunities, or whatever else you're thinking?.... Ask my dad, he'll tell you how bad his back hurts every day and how he can't do hardly any of the physical stuff he used to love to do. He'll tell you how much pain he's in every day, but he has to endure it because there's still bills to be paid. He'll tell you that he pretty much hates working on cars outside of work. He goes in really early, and comes home late-ish. I talk to him every day, thank him regularly for the life he provided for me, the opportunities, at the complete sacrifice of his own life and body. I see what it's done to him... If you're "dreaming big" about being an automotive tech, please, have your head examined.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                        Originally posted by DTM190
                        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

I graduated wyotech a few months ago, I am still looking for a job... But I have gotten quite a bit of side work on dirt bikes and atvs. I love wrenching on stuff. Just got a little pw50 that would not run worth shit, took the carb apart, jets were clogged, put it back together and it ran great. Got a text a few days later saying how his daughters were riding it around all day and thanking me for getting it running so well. Its such a great feeling getting that kind of personal appreciation, I wouldn't think you get that in the engineering end.

Comment

Don't waste your time, suck it up and study. People say do what makes you happy, well that's bullshit. If your job isn't supporting your family, you won't be happy. Not trying to sound like an ass, but your mom was just trying to say that in a nice way.

I was in your situation, but I decided that I'm just gonna march through it and become an aerospace/mechanical engineer. A few years in college is a small price to pay to be ballin' down the road. You won't be able to socialize as much, but there's plenty of time for that once your out of school.
                            -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

Listen to us that are older. If you can help it don't use your back to earn a living use your fucking head. I have been in construction all my life I am 30 and feel like I am pushing 50 with how hard it is to drag my ass outta bed, or my back, my knees etc... are and the everday pain.

Being a auto tech is going to be some you love to hate, unless you work for your self and even then you will pay a heavy phsycial price. If you can hack it get your ass through school for something you like, hell you could even twist wrenches to paY your way though engineering school.
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X